Got bored and looked into some Dennison numbers...

For whatever reason I wanted to take a look at how often Dennison called for passes during his previous endeavors in Denver and Houston. Perhaps because I think most of us would like to see them throw the ball a little more than 25 times a game and utilize the pass-catching weapons they have more often.

Anywho, these aren't super-analytic numbers, I understand QB's can audible out of a run into a pass but I don't think there'd be anywhere or anyway to track those kind of stats unless you were a part of the team and they kept track of how many audibles their QB called. So, here goes.

2006 Denver

QBs: Jake Plummer/10 games, Jay Cutler/6 games

Average Pass Attempts Per Game (APAPG): 28.4

NFL Rank: 26th

2007 Denver

QB: Jay Cutler/16 games

APAPG: 32.2

NFL Rank: 21st

2008 Denver

QB: Jay Cutler/16 games

APAPG: 38.8

NFL Rank: 2nd

2010 Houston

QB: Matt Schaub/16 games

APAPG: 35.9

NFL Rank: 9th

Houston 2011

QBs: Matt Schaub/10 games, TJ Yates/6 games

APAPG: 29.0

NFL Rank: 30th

Houston 2012

QB: Matt Schaub/16 games

APAPG: 35.7

NFL Rank: 13th

Houston 2013

QBs: Matt Schaub/8 games, Case Keenum/8 games

APAPG: 39.6

NFL Rank: 6th

Denver 2015

QBs: Peyton Manning/9 games, Brock Osweiler/7 games

APAPG: 36.7

NFL Rank: 17th

Denver 2016

QBs: Trevor Siemian/14 games, Paxton Lynch/2 games

APAPG: 35.6

NFL Rank: 18th

Overall Averages:

Average Pass Attempts Per Game Over 9 Seasons as an OC: 34.6

Average NFL Rank over those 9 seasons: 15th

So, just by looking at the overall averages you'd imagine he believes in a well-balanced attack.

Now, some of these numbers can also be misleading. In 2013 the Texans went 2-14 so their attempts were obviously up likely due to throwing it a lot more when playing from behind. By the same token, the numbers in 2012 were pretty well-balanced and Schaub had one of his best seasons. Schaub also had better seasons before Dennison so who knows.

Anyway, if anyone finds this interesting, neato. If not, also neat, but not neato.

Overall I'd imagine they dial up more than the 29.5 average pass attempts they've called over the last two seasons.

The only flaw I see in all of this is that I don't think Dennison has had full time play calling duties before. He's either worked under Shannahan or Kubiak who ran things.

Correct. He wasn't calling the plays. So maybe this means something, maybe it doesn't.

I don't think we will finish in the top 10 passing. Top 20 is likely based on short routes and YAC I expect and will be disappointed if less than top 5 runnjng

I expect another bottom 5 passing offense finish.

Correct. He wasn't calling the plays. So maybe this means something, maybe it doesn't.

I expect another bottom 5 passing offense finish.

No one is surprised. We all know what you are going to say before you say it.

How do you know this? Just standing next to Gary Kubiak is enough?

Because the record shows he is well versed. Why so difficult to understand.

So, his teams have been 2nd, and 30th in NFL passing rank. I know there are a lot of other factors (who's the coach, what's the scheme, are you always behind, who's your QB, etc.), but I find that interesting.

I guess I can lump some of the skill position data since 2010 into here as well since it's relevant to the topic (I included 2014 Baltimore, but I realize Dennison wasn't OC then). Top 2 players listed are the 2 most targeted players in the passing offense, if they are a RB I included their rush attempts as well. The next 1 to 2 players listed are the top running backs on each team and how many targets and rush attempts each player got on the year. If you want to pull it into the OP you're more than welcome to.

2010 Houston Texans:

Andre Johnson - 86 Catches, 138 Targets, 1216 Yards, 8 TD

Arian Foster - 66 Catches, 84 Targets, 604 Yards, 2 TD, 327 Rush Attempts

2011 Houston Texans (An outlier, for certain):

Owen Daniels - 54 Catches, 84 Targets, 677 Yards, 3 TD

Arian Foster - 53 Catches, 72 Targets, 617 Yards, 2 TD, 278 Rush Attempts

2012 Houston Texans:

Andre Johnson - 112 Catches, 164 Targets, 1598 Yards, 4 TD

Owen Daniels - 62 Catches, 103 Targets, 716 Yards, 6 TD

Arian Foster - 58 Targets, 351 Rush Attempts

2013 Houston Texans:

Andre Johnson - 109 Catches, 181 Targets, 1407 Yards, 5 TD

Deandre Hopkins - 52 Catches, 93 Targets, 802 Yards, 2 TD

Ben Tate - 49 Targets, 181 Rush Attempts

Arian Foster - 35 Targets, 121 Rush Attempts

2014 Baltimore Ravens:

Steve Smith - 79 Catches, 133 Targets, 1065 Yards, 6 TD

Torrey Smith - 49 Catches, 93 Targets, 767 Yards, 11 TD

Justin Forsett - 59 Targets, 235 Rush Attempts

2015 Denver Broncos:

Demaryius Thomas - 105 Catches, 176 Targets, 1304 Yards, 6 TD

Emmanuel Sanders - 76 Catches, 137 Targets, 1135 Yards, 6 TD

Ronnie Hillman - 35 Targets, 207 Rush Attempts

CJ Anderson - 36 Targets, 152 Rush Attempts

2016 Denver Broncos:

Demaryius Thomas - 90 Catches, 145 Targets, 1083 Yards, 5 TD

Emmanuel Sanders - 79 Catches, 139 Targets, 1032 Yards, 5 TD

Devontae Booker - 45 Targets, 174 Rush Attempts

CJ Anderson - 24 Targets, 110 Rush Attempts

So, his teams have been 2nd, and 30th in NFL passing rank. I know there are a lot of other factors (who's the coach, what's the scheme, are you always behind, who's your QB, etc.), but I find that interesting.

That's why a percentage figure might be more informational.

Edited by LeGOATski

The day we hired Rico, a buddy of mine who works for Denver called me and told me; "You will be pulling your hair out in frustration with how predictable Dennison is". He is horrendous at the beginning of games, look for us to be down early, often next year.

Imo

The day we hired Rico, a buddy of mine who works for Denver called me and told me; "You will be pulling your hair out in frustration with how predictable Dennison is". He is horrendous at the beginning of games, look for us to be down early, often next year.

Imo

Interesting commentary given the limited amount of play calling he's done in the past.

Interesting commentary given the limited amount of play calling he's done in the past.

Or maybe indicates that he's done more play-calling than we assume...a lot of people assume Kubiak did all of it. I don't claim to have any knowledge of it.

I just hope the offense can remain the same. If it improves great, but if the O stays the same and the D catches up the Bills will be a tough team to beat.

Truth

Imo

well this is kind of stinky.

Imo

So which is it?

Either we don't know anything about Dennison's play calling propensities because Kubiak or Shanahan was calling them and we don't like him because, no experience

or

He's been doing all the play calling and we know he's hella predictable

Either or not both

...excellent statistical homework by all gang....well done....the inference I would draw is that even though Dennison may not have been the "lead dawg", he has been around a multitude of OC's calling the shots, formulating game plans to fits strengths of players, as well as the trials and tribulations.....so now it's up to him to draw upon those experiences, assess the players he has to work with and develop the "Dennison Plan"...stay tuned.......

I'm a fan of the Dennison hire. He's been part of some good and bad offenses so he knows what both look like, has a scheme that fits Taylor, and his system seems to be perfect for our offense. We'll see about gameday playcalling and whether I change my mind, but on paper it's a good fit.

i remember when everyone was disappointed with kevin killdrive. being predictable. calling the wrong plays. etc.

he went to the gints and won two super bowls over the patriots*

dennison may not be that but it is possible to sometimes find a better fitting in a new team with the right personnel

Imo

Who called the plays there was it rico or gary?

This is a legitimate question.

Edited by Bill_with_it

Thanks all for the positive responses and adding to the conversation. I really didn't think people would be too interested, I was just bored, haha.

I did not take into account how many plays were called by RD. I'm not sure exactly what his roles were when he was with either Shanahan or Kubiak, we know both of those coaches definitely had themselves mixed into playcalling, I'm just not sure how often the decisions were on those guys or on RD and I'm not sure info like that would be found unless you worked with those dudes.

I think it bodes well that RD was able to get some solid seasons out of Matt Schaub. I won't discredit Kubiak's influence there but RD, being the OC, clearly had a hand in identifying what Schaub could and couldn't do.

A few of the reasons I expect an uptick in the passing game would be, I think McDermott and Beane would like to see Tyrod in certain situations where they have to throw the ball to see if he can get it done. Another reason would simply be the switch from Roman's offense to Dennison's. While Roman has always been known as a wizard in the run game and with blocking schemes, his passing concepts have never been good. So while he flourished because of the unpredictability in his run schemes, he floundered because of the predictability in his passing schemes. Teams weren't afraid to leave 8 in the box not only because they knew the run was coming and not only because they didn't feel any pressure from Taylor as a passer, but also because on film the route concepts and such were just very basic.

Tyrod showed some passing skills in his last game of 2016.

I'll bet that game has been watched by Sean and Rick over and over again.

I expect to see the Offense show run, run, run the first few plays of 2017, but

they are going to test Tyrod's ability to hit a receiver on a slant route over the middle

over and over and over again.

If he completes the majority of these passes, he will finish the season as starting QB.

If he doesn't complete these passes, look for Peterman off the bench, early and often.

This coaching staff won't be screwing around trying to figure out how to best use Tyrod.

They don't strike me as guys who will be comfortable watching him dance around like

a chicken with his head cut off.

Either he cuts the mustard, or they junk him.

That might be true in a perfect world, but we just watched Rex Ryan do the opposite,

didn't we ?

I think JfH's argument was partly born from the Ryan failure.

He should've adapted to what his players did well, but he forced his scheme on them instead.

I think JfH's argument was partly born from the Ryan failure.

He should've adapted to what his players did well, but he forced his scheme on them instead.

bingo

I am hoping that our new coaching staff is looking at what did not work.....then looked at what worked well (it was just 2 years ago that this D was ELITE) and go from there.

Going back to a 4-3 will hopefully restimulate certain players (Marcell.....cough cough) that are being payed blue chip money and need to get back to their dominate selves.

It would make SUCH a difference in this team. A overpowering unstoppable DT in the middle of that line would open things up for the edge rushers

Not to change the subject or anything, but...............

Why in the world would Dennison start Tyrod over Peterman this year ?

Unless they are planning on making a run for the Playoffs, for some reason.

Tyrod is a career backup, and a good one, but we are in the beginning stages of a total rebuild

and to have Tyrod out there establishing chemistry with a bunch of new receivers is curious.

Everybody knows that we are going to use one of next years 1st round picks on a Franchise QB.

That means Tyrod has 1 or 2 more years AT BEST.

Why not start Peterman, who is known to be able to stand in the pocket and throw the quick slant,

with the new receiving team, and see if he can establish some chemistry and rhythm.

Maybe, just maybe, Peterman might look like the best 5th round QB since Dak Prescott.

Because he has wanted to work with Tyrod since their days in Baltimore together.

Tyrod is a career backup 2 year starter, and a good mediocre one with lots of ups and downs, but we are in the beginning stages of a total rebuild

and to have Tyrod out there establishing chemistry with a bunch of new receivers is curious.

fixed that for you

Everybody knows that we are going to use one of next years 1st round picks on a Franchise QB.

So, because we're picking a QB in the 1st they're definitely going to be better? I'd suggest you wait and see about that before jettisoning your starting QB.

Why not start Peterman, who is known to be able to stand in the pocket and throw the quick slant has never played a down in the NFL,

with the new receiving team, and see if he can establish some chemistry and rhythm.

Maybe, just maybe, Peterman might look like the best 5th round QB since Dak Prescott - a 4th round QB.

fixed that for you too.

Tyrod is a career backup, and a good one, but we are in the beginning stages of a total rebuild

Why not start Peterman, who is known to be able to stand in the pocket and throw the quick slant,

Maybe, just maybe, Peterman might look like the best 5th round QB since Dak Prescott.

Im not trying to knock Peterman....I hope he comes in and kills it but a couple of things here

A 5th round pick coming in and blowing people away like Dak did is NOT the norm sir

Dak appears to have more physical tools......in particular his arm is very good

In Dallas Romo went down....or Dak never gets off the bench.....

In my opinion

Imo

Could this have something to do with the offensive talent? Their offense has not been good of late and we know that the bowl win was a defensive effort!

Tyrod is a career backup 2 year starter, and a good mediocre one, but we are in the beginning stages of a total rebuild

Why not start Peterman, who is known to be able to stand in the pocket and throw the quick slant, has never played a down in the NFL

Because he has wanted to work with Tyrod since their days in Baltimore together.

fixed that for you

So, because we're picking a QB in the 1st they're definitely going to be better? I'd suggest you wait and see about that before jettisoning your starting QB.

fixed that for you too.

Bump

Why are people always in such a hurry to "see what we have" in a "new shiny" at QB? Peterman may be all that and a bag of chips, or he may not.

There's a truism that in a training camp battle, a mediocre vet will almost always beat out a hot rookie (Wilson would probably be the exception)

There's a reason for that - it takes time to learn an NFL system and assimilate it to the point where a new QB can recognize what he sees on the field.

Unless you're trying to lose, there's no point and even then, it's bad for the QB and bad for the team.

As for losing, overall "tanking" is overrated in the NFL. Teams that "tank" and pick in the top 3, may improve to mediocrity but then typically seem to sink back to the bottom - see 2000 Chargers, Browns, Cardinals.

Tanking may help you draft a couple good players, but the teams that do best seem to be ones that build a winning culture and are ready to take a step, then go "all in" for the final pieces

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

Great post blacklabel.

Nice to have this info. complied into one place.

I think his zone blocking scheme will be good for McCoy and the run game but I am not convinced on TT playing from under center more.... He seems to struggle to see the middle of the field and playing under center will not help this problem.

i remember when everyone was disappointed with kevin killdrive. being predictable. calling the wrong plays. etc.

he went to the gints and won two super bowls over the patriots*

dennison may not be that but it is possible to sometimes find a better fitting in a new team with the right personnel

The success or failure of a franchise is determined in so many ways by the ability to find the right fit in my humble opinion.

The success or failure of a franchise is determined in so many ways by the ability to find the right fit in my humble opinion.

...Ditka pretty much summed it up....."you can have THE greatest system in the world, but if you don't have the personnel to execute it, you fail..PERIOD".......and realistically, how much time to you have to find the right personnel when a coaching change happens in a "win now " league?...Wrecks was an epic failure with his highly complex, antiquated system and Bflo wasted time dismantling a top five defense to get "his guys".....it's incumbent on Dennison to design a system around TT's weaknesses ala scanning the entire field in <5 seconds, reads, progressions, backfield utilization and a semblance of a quicker WCO with his wheels becoming a viable threat versus dire necessity to make this work...passing game needs to be a viable, threatening option versus an afterthought.....Peterman kid seems to have the mental aspect down at least at the COLLEGE LEVEL which is a big accomplishment IMO......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

fixed that for you

fixed that for you too.

:thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

....not sure how much stock to put into Dennison & Taylor together with Ravens...Taylor was there since 2011 and Dennison for only one year in 2014......with Flacco being the "Big Dawg", not sure how much time Dennison actually spent with TT in depth....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

...Ditka pretty much summed it up....."you can have THE greatest system in the world, but if you don't have the personnel to execute it, you fail..PERIOD".......and realistically, how much time to you have to find the right personnel when a coaching change happens in a "win now " league?...Wrecks was an epic failure with his highly complex, antiquated system and Bflo wasted time dismantling a top five defense to get "his guys".....it's incumbent on Dennison to design a system around TT's weaknesses ala scanning the entire field in <5 seconds, reads, progressions, backfield utilization and a semblance of a quicker WCO with his wheels becoming a viable threat versus dire necessity to make this work...passing game needs to be a viable, threatening option versus an afterthought.....Peterman kid seems to have the mental aspect down at least at the COLLEGE LEVEL which is a big accomplishment IMO......

innovative coaching can go a long way in uniting the systems and its players and to me its one of the main ingredients in the recipe for success in the NFL IMO.

The league is constantly evolving with rule change/additions and new ways to attack and defend the opposition with a revolving door from player injury.

Get innovative or get beat...

Good informative post by the OP. Honestly, it's so hard to evaluate coordinators who run the specialty of the team's head coach. You always wonder how much of a say they get in game day play calling or if they are just figure heads.

good point Biscuit,

and you also wonder how much of the HC rubbed off onto the assistant.