Who else is all in on this new way of doing things?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whaley and Marrone were young up-and-comers. Play the hindsight game all you want, but I'm just saying.

This is about the new owners finally getting their own FO. That's what this is. I like it so far.

This, for me.

I will say I miss the near daily press conferences Rex would give. Beyond being entertaining, it gave us the opportunity to learn every day what's new with the team. Couldn't wait to get to my Happy Hour watering hole, flip on my Bluetooth earbuds and watch/listen for 18 minutes or so on the status of my team.

This new group? Nothing/zilch/nada/zip.. :censored:

What is so different? We are once again starting over with a new head coach and GM and many new players

We have our first GM from outside the walls of OBD since 2005. We have a new scouting staff, comprised of some guys who are more qualified than our last few GMs. Our new HC isn't some guy we previously mocked as the former HC of a division rival, who we now have to pretend is good. We still have all of next year's draft picks. There's a lot that's different.

Edited by Buffalo86

I'm getting old. I've seen lots of coaches and GMs come and go. I'm always a little hopeful when there's a change but that hope is tempered by years of disappointment.

So far I like "this new way of doing things." But that's a preliminary and cautious "like." Let's see some real games before we judge.

I'm with you on this, been getting my heart broke since the 1960's; but insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and not working. I'm all for the house cleaning; watch the Jimmy Johnson Jerry Jones story on the rebuild of the Cowboys, man the faced skepticism and very emotional opposition from the fan base. I see it on this board constantly, change is very hard on many!

Even though Marv had a losing record in KC, there was something about the Polian/Levy combination that inspired hope in a lot of us fans. There seemed to be a plan, and a will to get it done.

I confess I feel a bit of that now. Usually I have reservations about the GM, or the HC, or both, and/or the chemistry between them. This year so far, I'm feeling pretty good about our new GM/HC combo and the staff they've hired.

But ask me again in December.

Great post; I knew when Polian traded for Bennett that the regime was serious about winning. The whole organizational attitude seemed to change!

I'm not all in on anything this franchise does until we see a decade of winning consistency / culture.. then and only then would I push all my chips in.

I'm hopeful but no way could any Bills fan possibly swallow the bait hook line and stinker after what most of us have endured

My hope for the resurgence of the Buffalo Bills is unwavering. My faith that it will happen is the challenge I face. I see a lot of positives in what the team has done this offseason, but paper tigers often burn. I, like every one of you, yearn for the day when I can attend a Buffalo Bills playoff game. " Show me the baby" is as good a phrase as can be used to describe my trepidation.

I'm not all in on anything this franchise does until we see a decade of winning consistency / culture.. then and only then would I push all my chips in.

I'm hopeful but no way could any Bills fan possibly swallow the bait hook line and stinker after what most of us have endured

That's a curious take. You'll only go all in after ten years of success. Other than the Patriots, has any team strung ten straight winning seasons?

I'm all in.

We haven't had this much of a full blown rebuild in a very long time.

We finally have young innovative guys in charge. In the past, we had a bunch of retreads that the game passed by.

We have people that are actually respected around the league. Been awhile.

Totally understandable, I'm with you too!

That's a curious take. You'll only go all in after ten years of success. Other than the Patriots, has any team strung ten straight winning seasons?

Better the bar be high than low!

the Redskins did it before the Bills technically , because Shanny Jr has all the power in that org and handpicked Lynch before building out the FO. I do think it's a new wave of doing things with 1st time HC having a lot of power off the bat like Adam Gase and Dan Quinn before Shanny and McD.

You meant 49ers right?

I like it, and am fine with it. We had to choose a course of action and we chose it. I personally, even at the time, didn't understand the hype over Rex Ryan and Greg Roman 2 years ago but of course I was willing to give it a shot because what other choice did I have? I'm fine with the approach we've taken for the time being.

I like it, and am fine with it. We had to choose a course of action and we chose it. I personally, even at the time, didn't understand the hype over Rex Ryan and Greg Roman 2 years ago but of course I was willing to give it a shot because what other choice did I have? I'm fine with the approach we've taken for the time being.

Yup, just getting ready to watch whatever happens out there, hope it's good.

My only concern is does Pegula and the fans have the stomach for a possible and I stress possible 3-4 year turnaround? It may take 1 to 2 seasons to bottom out, another 1 to 2 seasons to build the right core talent. That means we are looking at fielding a championship caliber roster by 2020, 2021 at the earliest. It could take some time. I hope people are patient. These clean sweep rebuilds as you describe from the foundation up take time. Even Jimmy Johnson in Dallas needed, 1989, 1990, & 1991, then in 1992 he won the first title.

The Bills decided to go with admin type guys. At head coach I would have preferred a top X's and O's guy. At GM I wanted to do a full search and hire the best talent evaluator money could buy.

The draft was an attempt to replace players that left for cheap. Not the hallmark of the best drafting teams in the NFL. And now the head coach who was handed Chip Kelly power by the Pegullibles decides not to pick up Sammy's option and start tough guy bravado on Dareus.

To me it feels like winter is coming.

Edited by jeffismagic

The Bills decided to go with admin type guys. At head coach I would have preferred a top X's and O's guy. At GM I wanted to do a full search and hire the best talent evaluator money could buy.

The draft was an attempt to replace players that left for cheap. Not the hallmark of the best drafting teams in the NFL. And now the head coach who was handed Chip Kelly power by the Pegullibles decides not to pick up Sammy's option and start tough guy bravado on Dareus.

If winter is coming put on a heavy coat and deal with the storm. Staying locked up in a house with the heat cranked up is a stifling way to encounter the cycles of life.

As far as your preferring a top X's and O's guy you are misinterpreting why teams usually win. For the most part more talent usually prevails over less talent. And to carry that notion out further the team usually with the better qb prevails over the team with the lesser qb. With the exception of Belichick coaches don't win because they outsmart other coaches. In fact, coaches who usually try to outsmart the opposition more often than not end up outsmarting themselves. Our dumb former HC thought he could out-design the opposition rather than have his team prepared to outplay the opposition. What a freaking dope!

Your criticism that the Bills mistakenly drafted to replace players thus forcing them to focus on need rather than talent is off the mark. As long as the drafted player is drafted in the approximate range of his ranking then what is the problem with that? If you don't reach because of a need then why complain that you are filling a hole that needs to be addressed one way or the other? From a production and salary standpoint it made sense to let Robert Woods go. He was replaced by a cheaper and hopefully as talented receiver. Player movement and cap management are an inescapable part of the landscape that all teams have to contend with.

I have said this on many posts much to the consternation of the loyalists. Now that a new organizational structure and complete new staffing is in place it is going to take at least three years to sort out the mess that preceded this new regime. There is no quick fix. Over time consistently acting competently instead of erratically will result in success. That's all you can hope for. This lurching back and forth resulted in a lot of motion accompanied with little intelligence. Where has it gotten us?

He has been specifically complementary of Dareus. Quit making things up.