Who else is all in on this new way of doing things?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the new way of doing things is signing a bunch of backup type role players in FA, which leads us to lose out on 3rd and 4th round compensatory picks, in a league where the smart teams work the compensatory pick formula in their favor and build their teams through the draft, especially by hitting on mid round picks who come with VERY, VERY affordable 4 year deals..............than count me out.

Because that's pretty much what McDermott did this winter/spring. Let's just hope Beane, Gaines & Schoen point the mistake out to McDermott and they correct the problem.

I want one thing coming out of this season:

2 1st round picks

1 2nd round pick

2 3rd round picks

2 4th round picks

It's not looking promising unless the Bill decide to cut several of their FA signing from just a couple of months ago, but there's still time to fix it if the Bills are willing to admit they screwed up with roster management. And since the Bills aren't anywhere close to competing for a championship, let's hope.....for the long term, sustained success of this franchise tha tboth our own 1st rounder and the Chiefs 1st rounder are as high as can be.

Would it suck to win 4 games in the short term? Yes, it'd make for a pretty miserable 17 weeks, and a lot of empty seats @ the Ralph come November and December, but I think most fans, like me would be licking their chops at the thought of a top 5 1st round pick couple with the Chiefs 1st rounder (hopefully in the 15-20 range if the Chiefs fail to make the playoffs).

The 2017 season for me is all about securing the ability to draft Josh Rosen, who's going in the top 2 picks of next years draft, IF & it's a very big IF, he decides to declare for the '18 draft.

If the new way of doing things is signing a bunch of backup type role players in FA, which leads us to lose out on 3rd and 4th round compensatory picks, in a league where the smart teams work the compensatory pick formula in their favor and build their teams through the draft, especially by hitting on mid round picks who come with VERY, VERY affordable 4 year deals..............than count me out.

Because that's pretty much what McDermott did this winter/spring. Let's just hope Beane, Gaines & Schoen point the mistake out to McDermott and they correct the problem.

2 1st round picks

1 2nd round pick

2 3rd round picks

2 4th round picks

It's not looking promising unless the Bill decide to cut several of their FA signing from just a couple of months ago, but there's still time to fix it if the Bills are willing to admit they screwed up with roster management. And since the Bills aren't anywhere close to competing for a championship, let's hope.....for the long term, sustained success of this franchise tha tboth our own 1st rounder and the Chiefs 1st rounder are as high as can be.

Would it suck to win 4 games in the short term? Yes, it'd make for a pretty miserable 17 weeks, and a lot of empty seats @ the Ralph come November and December, but I think most fans, like me would be licking their chops at the thought of a top 5 1st round pick couple with the Chiefs 1st rounder (hopefully in the 15-20 range if the Chiefs fail to make the playoffs).

The 2017 season for me is all about securing the ability to draft Josh Rosen, who's going in the top 2 picks of next years draft, IF & it's a very big IF, he decides to declare for the '18 draft.

You are entitled to your opinion

2 1st round picks

1 2nd round pick

2 3rd round picks

2 4th round picks

How do you feel about the Hodges pickup ? Sincere question Bud ?

How do you feel about the Hodges pickup ? Sincere question Bud ?

I like it because it came after the date when additions hurt you in the comp. pick formula. Therefore, it has no negative effect on costing us valuable mid round draft picks in '18, like the additions of Vlad Ducasse, Steven Hauschka, Ryan Davis, Jordan Poyer and Patrick Dimarco did.

Hodges was a move you'd see the Ravens make, smart, and after the comp pick deadline.

I like it because it came after the date when additions hurt you in the comp. pick formula. Therefore, it has no negative effect on costing us valuable mid round draft picks in '18, like the additions of Vlad Ducasse, Steven Hauschka, Ryan Davis, Jordan Poyer and Patrick Dimarco did.

Hodges was a move you'd see the Ravens make, smart, and after the comp pick deadline.

I thought you might like it.

I do as well but for different, albeit good reasons.

Would you consider this a post Whaley pick up ?

Perhaps a Beane move for Sean's sake?

I see lots of threads griping about this or that and I am curious who, along with me, loves what the Bills are doing? I love the new approach, I have wanted this for well over a decade.

Clean house and bring in a fresh new HC with a background of working with successful HC's on his way up and in successful programs. A GM who shares his vision. Cleaning out the old way of scouting and whatnot and bringing in new, experienced, talent to pretty much scrap what we have done for dozens of years now.

HC, GM etc doing an honest, 3rd party per say, evaluation of the talent on this team with NO Ties what so ever. They have clear systems, they know the types of overall football players they want AND who will fit their system. They aren't going to sit here and wait years on "potential" either you can and will perform or you are gone. That is how it should be.

I love everything that is going on at OBD these days and the direction they are going and don't care who they cut, trade or whatever to get their team that they want. This is very long past due.

For the first time as long as I can remember, I finally have some legit hope this team will finally turn around. Anyone else with me in this?

I have some hope.

But while McDermott may have been a good choice, I would much rather have had a head coach with a record as a head coach. We don't know if McDermott has the goods or has a few bad ideas or methods that could hold him back that a prior stint might have allowed him to address.

Some good things some bad things.

No, not all in.

Show me.

I see lots of threads griping about this or that and I am curious who, along with me, loves what the Bills are doing? I love the new approach, I have wanted this for well over a decade.

Clean house and bring in a fresh new HC with a background of working with successful HC's on his way up and in successful programs. A GM who shares his vision. Cleaning out the old way of scouting and whatnot and bringing in new, experienced, talent to pretty much scrap what we have done for dozens of years now.

HC, GM etc doing an honest, 3rd party per say, evaluation of the talent on this team with NO Ties what so ever. They have clear systems, they know the types of overall football players they want AND who will fit their system. They aren't going to sit here and wait years on "potential" either you can and will perform or you are gone. That is how it should be.

I love everything that is going on at OBD these days and the direction they are going and don't care who they cut, trade or whatever to get their team that they want. This is very long past due.

For the first time as long as I can remember, I finally have some legit hope this team will finally turn around. Anyone else with me in this?

If they don't succeed with this coaching staff and management team in place, I don't know what else they can do...

They literally have an All-Star front office staff with no restrictions from a resource standpoint and have a good solid coaching staff in place led by a coach who has been thought to be head coaching material for at least 2 years now and coming from one of the more succesful "coaching trees" where many coordinators go on to become good coaches(Andy Reid tree), as opposed to the Bellichcik tree where very few go on to be good head coaches.

Obviously neither has one anything yet, but it certainly is a breath of fresh air to have guys from successful places come in and do things in a way that seems to be proven to work over the long period of time.

My only fear is Pegula gets a little too itchy and doesn't give them enough time to put things in place...I think he actually got these hires right this time(and that goes for Botterill to who by all accounts is expected to be very successful in his new role as well) but my fear is he doesn't give them enough time to really see things through.

I have some hope.

But while McDermott may have been a good choice, I would much rather have had a head coach with a record as a head coach. We don't know if McDermott has the goods or has a few bad ideas or methods that could hold him back that a prior stint might have allowed him to address.

Some good things some bad things.

No, not all in.

Show me.

Everyone who is a head coach was a first time head coach at some point. Experience helps but is quite a bit overrated in terms of whether a person is going to succeed or not. Successful people succeed regardless in most cases. Ability and talent trump experience almost everytime.

Edited by matter2003

I'm all in because I have no other choice.

But I do feel good about the current situation. Less 'convincing-myself-to-be-optimistic-even-though-deep-down-I-know-it's-never-going-to-work' going on this time.

Nailed it.

Thanks for the great replies. I think we have to give this regime the full 5 years and see the progress.

I see more roster changes that can cause some fans angst and make them angry toward the staff, but we need to trust the process.

While I'm not a fan of everything they've done, I feel Beane is a great hire. McDermott is the type of guy that I want leading this team. Whether or not he can be a successful HC in the NFL is a complete unknown at this point, but I'm all in...until I'm not. I loved the Marrone hire, until he was the biggest w#$$ HC I've ever seen. I liked the Rex hire, until he wrecked our once proud defense. When the bullets start flying on sundays, McD will show us who he really is. That is when we can really start forming judgements imo. McD and Beane may have a common thought process about personnel and the culture they are looking to cultivate at OBD, but if he isn't a good HC then the decisions become difficult. Can Beane pull the trigger on a new coach or are their fates truly tied together? Hopefully McD is legit and we won't have to answer that question, but it'll be interesting to see see this unfolds if he fails at HC while Beane puts together great pieces to the puzzle.

As far as the personnel moves we've made, I'm not a fan of letting Gillislee go. Not a fan of not picking up Sammys option. Estro's point also makes sense. Guys like Ducasse and Ryan Davis are still available and wouldn't count towards the comp picks. Did we jump the gun on average to below average guys and in doing so give away potential starters in draft picks? I've never been one to question signings with regards to comp picks, but Vlad Ducasse? He's pretty bad. Our OL coach coached a putrid running attack this past year. Running the ball is what we do. Dennison looks legit though, so I have confidence he can help the OL based on his scheme. I like the WRs we've brought in. Our WR depth is much better than last year. If Sammy can't remain healthy and is let go (I'm praying this is not the case as he's my favorite player to watch) I feel Zay Jones has a chance to be a legit #1 or a phenomenal #2. Landing Hodges seemed like a no brainer considering Ramon Humber was our starting WLB....and we made it happen. If we can land Barnidge at a decent price I'll be really impressed. I like our DBs in Darby, White and Seymour. It's yet to be seen how Darby will transition to a zone scheme. Seems like a man guy but we'll see. Hyde was a great signing and I think he'll be a leader on our D. Poyer as a starter is a bit scary though. Haven't seen enough of him in the NFL to make a judgement on him that is worth a dam though. Love the Dawkins pick and he's going to be one of the most important players on the team going forward. If he can become a dominant RT, our OL might be something we can hang our hat on and make the playoff push yearly. I'm happy with what we did regarding the qb position this offseason. Tyrod contract is set so he has a chance to be THE guy at a reasonable price for 2 years. If he's not the guy, then we can move on and not be riddled with cap pain. We have 2 first rd picks and a possibly a couple more 3rd-4th rd picks if our FA signings don't pan out. I like the QB class next year and feel we can land one of the best if tyrod doesn't step his game up a level or 2. Love the Peterman pick as well. Worst case is we have a decent backup for a few years imo. Great value in the 5th with an outside chance of becoming a good starter or trade bait

Happy so far.....but show me the baby

Agree'd

Regarding your sig....you say he will definitely do the job with all the sides. What's "the job"? Win the super bowl? That's his only job. Edited by NewEra

Everyone who is a head coach was a first time head coach at some point. Experience helps but is quite a bit overrated in terms of whether a person is going to succeed or not. Successful people succeed regardless in most cases. Ability and talent trump experience almost everytime.

Yup, everyone who is a head coach was a first time head coach at some point. But plenty of coaches who do much better the second time didn't do as well their first time. You don't have to look any further than the head coaches of the winning teams in the last four Super Bowls. They all did much better later than they did during their first stints as a head coach.

Experience is not overrated one bit.

Yeah, successful people tend to succeed. Not always at their first try, though.

Sometimes first-timers succeed. But picking a first-timer is a bit like drafting a player, in that people say that the draft is a crap-shoot. Same with picking a first-timer. An awful lot of very promising first-timers don't succeed and it's really not possible to tell which ones will do well.

Edited by Thurman#1

BINGO!! After 40+ years of suffering through Bills football I feel the same. I keep re-creating 1990-1994 in my head to suffer through all the other years of misery this team has brought. I actually do have hope for the new regime. They seem to play the brand of football I can follow. I see some similarities to Marv and Polian's philosophy on the type of player they want, so I want to Billieve, but until they prove it on the field, it's all talk.

Very well said. We can only hope this new regime with the eventual retirement of B&B will bring glory days back to upstate NY.