Whaley goes out with class. Buffalo Media...not so much.

so a gm gets no credit for a winning season but gets blamed for the losing? Makes sense. Atleast we still have mccoy, when were the bills getting rid of him again? I still have that paper on my fridge been waiting to take it down

What key players were the cause of that 9-7 season? Orton, Dareus, Mario, McK, Gilmore, Kyle and Hughes were the standouts. Only one of those was a Whaley guy. He had the fortune of overseeing a star studded defense that was basically handed to him.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still confused why everyone hates the buffalo news.

Because they bash a ****ty franchise? It's their job to write about the team. The team blows year in and year out.

Because they are not very good at their jobs. I am an ex journalist. A lot of their content is poorly written, poorly structured and lacking in original thought. They are right as much as they are wrong in my opinion, but the standard of journalism sucks.

Because they bash a ****ty franchise? It's their job to write about the team. The team blows year in and year out.

The team doesn't blow they are average and have been since Pegs bought them.

The coverage is 95 percent negative

they take twist facts and take personal cheap shots.

it is not clever or fun.

People keep saying to ignore them, I say we should keep speaking out because the fans deserve better coverage of the Football team

Because they are not very good at their jobs. I am an ex journalist. A lot of their content is poorly written, poorly structured and lacking in original thought. They are right as much as they are wrong in my opinion, but the standard of journalism sucks.

agreed

In this case it's because writers chose to essentially spit on the grave of the former GM.

Some stuff they write is good, some bad, and some is just guesswork designed for shock value in this age of 24/7 coverage and the need to get more clicks to your site. As such stories are not as carefully researched or edited as they should be. Older folks like me recall guys like Felser and Peters, who could be as critical as anyone. But they constructed their arguments without making it personal unlike what I see nowadays (and not just in the News). I miss the old days of reporting.

In this case it's because writers chose to essentially spit on the grave of the former GM.

I think this is the main point of this particular thread. There are MANY other threads out there about the job Whaley did or didn't do and how the press covered his job performance.

This thread is different. The classless horde known as Bills beat writers basically did exactly as you described. They did so because they are whiny, unprofessional babies on balance. They were unable to find a ay to communicate with Whaley during his tenure and achieve a healthy ongoing dialogue. Now he is gone and they kick him while he is down. They bash Pegula at times because of the same basic reasons. There are members, at least one, of the press that has a good dialogue with Pegula. Jerry and Timmy can't seem to achieve this dialogue with anyone so they whine and cry.

Simply put they are bad at their job. The Bills could have the best GM in league history, the worst GM in league history or any in between and these guys will still be bad at their job. It is not the job of the Bills owner, GM or coach to help the beat reporters look good. It is the job of the beat reporter to have enough professionalism to look good. Their treatment of a FORMER GM tells you a lot about their maturity level.

Edited by 4merper4mer

Do I believe that Doug Whaley had a sub par record here? Yes.

Do I think that he walked away with more class than some people, despite some personal feelings of anger?

Also yes.

Do I think that the journalism of TBN sports has taken such a swan dive to think they would rip him for areticle traffix....

AHAHAHAHA OF COURSE

Exactly

Hasn't Pegula had to pay top dollar for every single one of their new hires? Those stories are congruent, no?

Kyle Orton and Doug Marrone won 9 games. Not Whales.

yep, Schwartz and a top rated defense were merely bystanders...

I didn't think Sullivan's article last week was so bad as many made it out to be here.

His point was "wait and see" while people seem to be so sure they got it right with McDermott and Beane.

That one wasn't bad at all. It's the ones where unnecessary cheap shots or insults are thrown out there that irritate me. Truly good writers can make their point without resorting to such methods.

Criticizing, even bashing a franchise that has performed so miserably for nearly two decades is required by the media assigned to follow it. And if the Bills have an issue with that then they have far worse problems than a bad football team.

But they don't have an issue with that.

Several members of a certain news organization chose, repeat chose, to make it personal, often in venues totally unrelated to covering a football team. This is the epitome of unprofessional behavior and calls into question the very integrity of what they produce publicly.

Everyone should have a problem with that.

it is not clever or fun.

People keep saying to ignore them, I say we should keep speaking out because the fans deserve better coverage of the Football team

agreed

Not making the playoffs for sixteen years isn't average, it's extremely substandard. It's the longest playoff drought not just in the NFL currently but in American major pro sports. Calling that average says a lot more about you than about how the Bills have played. They're now tied for 5th longest drought in all of NFL history.

And the coverage isn't 95% negative, but yeah, probably 80% or a bit higher. As it should be. Gotten a lot more positive since they hired the new group. Why? It looks like they at least have a plan for once. People have noticed and that includes the News and the media in general.

Life long Bills fan. I do not know Doug Whaley. I live 600 miles from from Buffalo now. Prob won't run into him in a bar. His interview the other day was very well handled and showed alot of class. Today I see article #3 bashing him still. What morons we have in the Buffalo media. Move on. Plenty of blame to go around

My feelings precisely

Some stuff they write is good, some bad, and some is just guesswork designed for shock value in this age of 24/7 coverage and the need to get more clicks to your site. As such stories are not as carefully researched or edited as they should be. Older folks like me recall guys like Felser and Peters, who could be as critical as anyone. But they constructed their arguments without making it personal unlike what I see nowadays (and not just in the News). I miss the old days of reporting.

Dude, the GM gave an address about leaving the Bills.

Of course they reported on it. And it was awful. They pointed out where it was good (he didn't attack the Bills) and where it was absolutely wretched (asked what you learned he said if he had to do it again he would make a plan to bring in a QB, essentially admitting that either he had no plan to bring in a QB when he was hired or he learned absolutely nothing on the job).

They were dead on target.

Several members of a certain news organization chose, repeat chose, to make it personal, often in venues totally unrelated to covering a football team. This is the epitome of unprofessional behavior and calls into question the very integrity of what they produce publicly.

Everyone should have a problem with that.

I don't think they chose to make it personal. I think they had to make it personal because they were unable to perform their job and achieve the goal of gaining an open dialogue with individuals within the organization. They failed at this over an over again and then they made it personal. Some of this may be on the members of the Bills organization but given that over time the same set of reporters has failed with Ralph, Buddy, Terry, Kim, Doug + Doug, Rex, Greggo, Russ, and even Marv and Dick Jauron who may be two of the friendliest people ever involved in football, I think the reporters ineptitude has been exposed.

Win or lose it won't be long before they start in with McDermott and Beane. It will be more fun if the Bills win and they have to pick on minor details.

So far I have been pretty impressed with the communication skills of both Beane and McD. Timmy and Jerry's jobs probably got a little easier but they are REALLY bad at the underlying foundation of their jobs and it won't take them long to screw up. If the Bills win it will expose their tilting at windmills mores than if the Bills lose. The fact that they went after a former GM has left no doubt of their ineptitude.

Not making the playoffs for sixteen years isn't average, it's extremely substandard. It's the longest playoff drought not just in the NFL currently but in American major pro sports. Calling that average says a lot more about you than about how the Bills have played. They're now tied for 5th longest drought in all of NFL history.

Whaley was not a GM for 16 years and he is no longer the GM. Personally attacking him after an interview is classless. But I get it......So sayeth the Skurski, so sayeth the flock.

I think this is the main point of this particular thread. There are MANY other threads out there about the job Whaley did or didn't do and how the press covered his job performance.

This thread is different. The classless horde known as Bills beat writers basically did exactly as you described. They did so because they are whiny, unprofessional babies on balance. They were unable to find a ay to communicate with Whaley during his tenure and achieve a healthy ongoing dialogue. Now he is gone and they kick him while he is down. They bash Pegula at times because of the same basic reasons. There are members, at least one, of the press that has a good dialogue with Pegula. Jerry and Timmy can't seem to achieve this dialogue with anyone so they whine and cry.

Simply put they are bad at their job. The Bills could have the best GM in league history, the worst GM in league history or any in between and these guys will still be bad at their job. It is not the job of the Bills owner, GM or coach to help the beat reporters look good. It is the job of the beat reporter to have enough professionalism to look good. Their treatment of a FORMER GM tells you a lot about their maturity level.

You're right, it's not the job of the Bills owner, GM or coach to help the beat reporters look good.

It's their job to - Gosh, I don't know - make the playoffs occasionally, maybe? Look like they're heading that way, at least. At which Whaley sucked the whole time. The Pegulas may possibly have finally taken steps in the right direction at last but until now they have failed as well.

Of course the media said mostly bad things about them.

Whaley was not a GM for 16 years and he is no longer the GM. Personally attacking him after an interview is classless. But I get it......So sayeth the Skurski, so sayeth the flock.

No, not 16 years, just four years in which the organization he was responsible for made almost no progress whatsoever.

And he's no longer the GM but is still giving a national interview about his time with the Bills. That's newsworthy.

I'm willing to believe that you get it, but you're sure not showing it in that post.

Edited by Thurman#1

it is not clever or fun.

In this day and age you don't need the local paper to get coverage of the Bills. There's so much more out there.

Yeah he writes for Bleacher Report. Well on his way to the top. :lol:

Surely an upgrade ove the BN. He was out the second he got his chance. The others.....well, they'll be here forever or until you guys stop clicking.

You're right, it's not the job of the Bills owner, GM or coach to help the beat reporters look good.

It's their job to - Gosh, I don't know - make the playoffs occasionally, maybe? Look like they're heading that way, at least. At which Whaley sucked the whole time. The Pegulas may possibly have finally taken steps in the right direction at last but until now they have failed as well.

Of course the media said mostly bad things about them.

No, not 16 years, just four years in which the organization he was responsible for made almost no progress whatsoever.

And he's no longer the GM but is still giving a national interview about his time with the Bills. That's newsworthy.

I'm willing to believe that you get it, but you're sure not showing it in that post.

All of these are irrelevant to the topic of this thread. This thread's premise is that Whaley was treated unfairly with respect to the interview he gave on radio the other day. He was. They did not talk about how he handled his interview, they re-hashed crap they have been saying for years because they were unable to open a proper dialogue with Whaley. Or Buddy. Or Russ. Or Terry. Or Kim. Or Greggo. Or Greggo Marrone. Or Rex. Or DJ. Or Marv. For Pete's sake......Marv!

I don't think they chose to make it personal. I think they had to make it personal because they were unable to perform their job and achieve the goal of gaining an open dialogue with individuals within the organization. They failed at this over an over again and then they made it personal. Some of this may be on the members of the Bills organization but given that over time the same set of reporters has failed with Ralph, Buddy, Terry, Kim, Doug + Doug, Rex, Greggo, Russ, and even Marv and Dick Jauron who may be two of the friendliest people ever involved in football, I think the reporters ineptitude has been exposed.

Win or lose it won't be long before they start in with McDermott and Beane. It will be more fun if the Bills win and they have to pick on minor details.

So far I have been pretty impressed with the communication skills of both Beane and McD. Timmy and Jerry's jobs probably got a little easier but they are REALLY bad at the underlying foundation of their jobs and it won't take them long to screw up. If the Bills win it will expose their tilting at windmills mores than if the Bills lose. The fact that they went after a former GM has left no doubt of their ineptitude.

The decision to act in a professional manner in a business setting (1 Bills Dr.) and a courteous, respectful manner in non-business settings (certain eating and drinking establishments in Buffalo and elsewhere) is ALWAYS a choice. The bold text is a contradiction; they didn't chose to, but had to? They sabotaged their own ability for access and that's entirely on them. Ever wonder why certain members of the medial pool get unfettered access to top level execs with the club while others aren't afforded the same? Once you cross a certain line as some in the media have by acting a certain way in places that have nothing to do with anything football related, antennae are raised. When you make it a pattern of behavior over the years you simply can't expect favor in return. And when you let that cloud your ability to to see things objectively, you've lost all credibility.

The decision to act in a professional manner in a business setting (1 Bills Dr.) and a courteous, respectful manner in non-business settings (certain eating and drinking establishments in Buffalo and elsewhere) is ALWAYS a choice. The bold text is a contradiction; they didn't chose to, but had to? They sabotaged their own ability for access and that's entirely on them. Ever wonder why certain members of the medial pool get unfettered access to top level execs with the club while others aren't afforded the same? Once you cross a certain line as some in the media have by acting a certain way in places that have nothing to do with anything football related, antennae are raised. When you make it a pattern of behavior over the years you simply can't expect favor in return. And when you let that cloud your ability to to see things objectively, you've lost all credibility.

I beg to differ.

I don't think they chose to be unprofessional. At least not in all cases. They have a level of ineptitude that precludes them being professional. Did they not pay enough attention in journalism school? That would have been a choice that led to their poor job performance so I suppose you can call it a choice at some level or at least speculate that it was.

Let me give you an example: Jerry Sullivan walks into a bar 6 nights a week with the intention of meeting an attractive woman and getting laid. Clearly he hasn't gotten laid in a loooooooooooooooong time. Would you say that this is his choice or that he is simply ill equipped to achieve his goal? Don't try to confuse the issue by bringing up the possibility of hookers, etc.; just tell me if you still think things are always a choice.