Bills Release OT Cyrus Kouandjio and Sign WR Rod Streater

I think the NFI designation says that it's an off the field reason. We will probably hear at some point in the near future but clearly poor decision making on his part played a major role.

I see the logic but there is still actually that chance BillsVet is right and it was a money/evaluation decision.

The bizarre handling of the MG situation colors the perception of his mindset.

MG was the most productive back in the NFL on a per-touch basis since he joined the Bills..........and Kujo performed well at the toughest position on the OL last year...........it's possible McDermott just has a case of the "wrongs".

Wouldn't be the first new Bills HC to think he didn't need good players.

Member' Greggo and his "no fat-guys" mantra followed immediately by two years of getting trampled in epic proportions on the ground?

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt the incident in the field contributed much and, if it is a mental health issue, releasing a player for that reason seems far-fetched.

It's another draft pick who didn't produce. And the new regime has no obligation to him, 2nd round pick or not. He couldn't get on the field as a 2nd round pick for the previous staffs. It's not a stretch to say the current HC and staff had the same opinion.

He was producing pretty well last season. So much so that many on this board were calling for him to start at LT and Glenn to be moved to RT.

Now that he is released he sucks, per the usual.

Amazing. The Bills have a total of 3 players remaining from the 2014 draft. 6-10 do it again!

well, this is what happens when regime change happens. players from the old regime are largely expendable, especially when they are marginal above the neck... Some team will turn him into a star. whatever. new times, new coaches, new schemes, out with the old and in with the new....

well, this is what happens when regime change happens. players from the old regime are largely expendable, especially when they are marginal above the neck... Some team will turn him into a star. whatever. new times, new coaches, new schemes, out with the old and in with the new....

What scheme would Kujo, Meeks, Duke Wiliams, Seantrel, EJ, etc have succeeded in?

What scheme would Kujo, Meeks, Duke Wiliams, Seantrel, EJ, etc have succeeded in?

Starting a flag football team. They might have some success there, I'll give them a shot at making the team. Hope they can understand the lingo, go deep and cover your man.

I see the logic but there is still actually that chance BillsVet is right and it was a money/evaluation decision.

The bizarre handling of the MG situation colors the perception of his mindset.

MG was the most productive back in the NFL on a per-touch basis since he joined the Bills..........and Kujo performed well at the toughest position on the OL last year...........it's possible McDermott just has a case of the "wrongs".

Wouldn't be the first new Bills HC to think he didn't need good players.

Member' Greggo and his "no fat-guys" mantra followed immediately by two years of getting trampled in epic proportions on the ground?

The difference is the cap space isn't needed now and there are certainly worse players than Kuoandjio. If he were cut at Labor Day I'd buy that he didn't fit. I named some guys that I saw on the 90 that aren't going to have a bigger impact.

McDermott may be trying to send a message. All that I contended is that it had more to do with his incident than his play. I absolutely think, and the NFI designation supports it, that this wasn't "he's not a good enough player to make the team."

Not really, The 32ndpick in every draft is still selected higher than every 2nd round pick and the 64 higher than and 3rd rounder and so on. So I don't buy "they draft lower" argument and excluding comparing the Bills last selection (assume 7th rounder)against NE's every other selection was still higher than the next round down the Bills selected.

I'd think it would go to reason that NE's 2nd round selection should be a better player than the Bills 3rd round pick. So the fact that NE has no one left tells me they didn't draft any better.

They draft much lower than the Bills.

The difference is the cap space isn't needed now and there are certainly worse players than Kuoandjio. If he were cut at Labor Day I'd buy that he didn't fit. I named some guys that I saw on the 90 that aren't going to have a bigger impact.

McDermott may be trying to send a message. All that I contended is that it had more to do with his incident than his play. I absolutely think, and the NFI designation supports it, that this wasn't "he's not a good enough player to make the team."

Kirby could it be possible that from the time hes been in front of the current coaching staff out of all the players in the position group are currently outproducing him?

IIRC Henderson was starting at RT when his Chrone's disease really kicked in.

The Bills had Kujo on the roster, yet they brought in another 0-Lineman. A couple of weeks later, Henderson was shelved and the new guy got the starting job ..... Kujo lost his job to the new guy, Mills .... let that sink in.

I do hope that Kujo gets the help he needs.

its not about success as much as it is a regime feeling invested in the pick enough to hang on. If a guy isn't cracking the staring lineup but still fits the scheme and was drafted by that staff they are more likely to keep him - we were taking about who is left on these rosters, not who is successful on these rosters. Late round picks are even more hit and miss than regular picks but they might still be hanging on if the GM and/or coaching staff are still there. The aforementioned Duron Harmon is a third safety on nickel and dime packages 4 years after being drafted but just signed an extension because the the same regime that drafted him with the Pats is still there and he knows the system. If he was here, the probably let him walk.

Joe B's take

http://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/buffalo-bills-release-former-second-round-pick-cyrus-kouandjio

CK:

-new regime drafted Dawkins who will replace him at backup swing OT if he doesn't start

-Is a power-blocking not ZB tackle (ZB needs tackles who can move well)

-to be a backup OT you need to be able to capably play both LT and RT. He has not shown ability to play RT

-hip injury, chronic knee issue, pants on the ground

Edited by YoloinOhio

Henderson still has 5 games left on suspension so thinking his roster spot won't count on the 53 until week of game 6

Make that Week 7, since teams are allowed 1 transition week after a player's suspension ends where he doesn't count against the roster limit if he's not active right away.

Kirby could it be possible that from the time hes been in front of the current coaching staff out of all the players in the position group are currently outproducing him?

They raved about him last week though so I doubt it. My guess (just a guess) he's been all over the place off the field. We read about his incident and was cut with an injury not related to football. I don't want to speculate too much but it adds up. It's not terribly different than Karlos last year. If you can't depend on the guy there's no reason to keep him. I'm not accusing CK of drugs but I am questioning his decision making off the field.

If it were play related I would think that Blake Annen and some others would be worse players. I don't think anyone would debate that. If it were the final cuts that would be a believable explanation.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Joe B's take

http://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/buffalo-bills-release-former-second-round-pick-cyrus-kouandjio

CK:

-new regime drafted Dawkins who will replace him at backup swing OT if he doesn't start

-Is a power-blocking not ZB tackle (ZB needs tackles who can move well)

-to be a backup OT you need to be able to capably play both LT and RT. He has not shown ability to play RT

-hip injury, chronic knee issue, pants on the ground

lol

Edited by Foxx

They raved about him last week though so I doubt it. My guess (just a guess) he's been all over the place off the field. We read about his incident and was cut with an injury not related to football. I don't want to speculate too much but it adds up. It's not terribly different than Karlos last year. If you can't depend on the guy there's no reason to keep him. I'm not accusing CK of drugs but I am questioning his decision making off the field.

If it were play related I would think that Blake Annen and some others would be worse players. I don't think anyone would debate that. If it were the final cuts that would be a believable explanation.

i agree that he may not be the best fit for the scheme or the best player but to be but on May 24th it's likely a suspension coming down or off field stuff that they want no part of. They essentially chose Wes Saxton over keeping him. Edited by YoloinOhio

i agree that he may not be the best fit for the scheme or the best player but to be but on May 24th it's likely a suspension coming down or off field stuff that they want no part of. They essentially chose Wes Saxton over keeping him.

That's been my point but I was accused of defending everything that Whaley does because of it :). I thought that it was pretty easy to put 2 and 2 together.