Should we develop an offense similar to the K-Gun?

It's May and here we are speculating about the upcoming season. Here's my take:

We should run a limited huddle offense, similar to the K-Gun. It should be more run oriented, allowing our offensive line the opportunity to smash the opposition, eventually wearing them down. My reasons:

1. We have limited depth on all of our skill positions. This means that we should be running with the same players all 3 downs. This type of offense will keep the opposition from changing defenses, nullifying their advantage in depth.
  2. With the advent of headset radios, plays can be called in from the sideline (except in NE), keeping the quarterback from having to make the calls along with everything he has to do.
  3. We can quickly sub in the 40 yards between the 30 yard marks, especially at the wideout position. This may prompt the opposition to try, which will either pull them out of position or draw a too many men foul.
  4. We have exceptional athletes that can handle the pace.
  5. We were terrible at using the clock the last 2 years. This would sharpen our skills when it came to crunch time in the 4th quarter.

The argument about putting pressure on the defense is there, although I say that the 3 and outs last year did the same.

so your advocating for an oregon ducks/chip kelly with the eagles type of offense, "the blur"

theres a reason the chip kelly thing failed in Philly

with our "limited depth" wouldn't just be tiring our own players out?

This is a big boys league, trickery and gimmick only gets you so far. You have to have a good offense and defense and special teams, and then you have a shot at consistent winning

so your advocating for an oregon ducks/chip kelly with the eagles type of offense, "the blur"

theres a reason the chip kelly thing failed in Philly

with our "limited depth" wouldn't just be tiring our own players out?

This is a big boys league, trickery and gimmick only gets you so far. You have to have a good offense and defense and special teams, and then you have a shot at consistent winning

Good points.

It would tire all players out.

I once played in an "old man's" (over 40) soccer tourney in the Catskills. It was 7 on 7 with no offsides penalties. I was on defense. All of us were tired, but the people who knew where they were going (offense) had a definite advantage. I'd imagine that this would hold true an just about any sport.

I'm not advocating trickery or gimmickry, just old fashioned football at an accelerated pace.

Don't have the bullets for thr K-gun type thing.Although Shady's and Tyrods running would be interesting. No established slot reciever either. But Personally I would be thrilled with a potent 2 minute offense though. Run with a sense of urgency, good clock management, all of it.

Use a K-Gun, hurry- up or whatever. Never understood Tyrods lack of urgency in a 2 minute drill. Maybe (well probably) it was coaching, but at times it was painful to watch.

The times, they are a changin' and for the better. From the top on down, the Bills will finally (hopefully) compete in the NFL for the first time in a long time. Clock management will be MUCH better.

based on what? does McD have a degree in game management that we don't know about? last i checked he was a rookie coach

The times, they are a changin' and for the better. From the top on down, the Bills will finally (hopefully) compete in the NFL for the first time in a long time. Clock management will be MUCH better.

Remains to be seen. If Andy Reid has been unable to handle it above a 7 year old...

only two points I disagree with :

1. With the advent of headset radios, plays can be called in from the sideline (except in NE), keeping the quarterback from having to make the calls along with everything he has to do.

the radio into the qbs helmet will still require communication to other players on field. Not all players have radios so tyrod would have to signal to others and that would cause other issues.

1. We can quickly sub in the 40 yards between the 30 yard marks, especially at the wideout position. This may prompt the opposition to try, which will either pull them out of position or draw a too many men foul.

Chip Kelly had to wait for NFL refs to prep ball. also if you change out guys officials should wait for defense to reset personnel based on rules.

I wouldn't mind a Flutie-style with Tyrod in the shotgun except on short yardage, rolling out to the sideline after the snap and trying to make something out of it with his unique set of skills.

I'd prefer a QB who dropped back into the pocket and could wait and lead his receivers into passes, but that's not going to happen.

Buffalo's O needs to put more of an emphasis on giving our QB better pass protection in my humble opinion.

No huddle is something you do with an O unit that has spent enough time together to gel at a regular pace before attempting to up the tempo.(IMO)

Tired players are also more vulnerable to injury IMO.

Edited by Figster

Just build an offense that fits each individuals strength. Playing to Tyrods strengths are most important this year. Which Denniodons style does, whichbis a big reason they kept him.

The running style will change but Dennison said he saw things that worked great for this offense so he will stick with a few things.

Just build an offense that fits each individuals strength. Playing to Tyrods strengths are most important this year. Which Denniodons style does, whichbis a big reason they kept him.

The running style will change but Dennison said he saw things that worked great for this offense so he will stick with a few things.

Yes sir

innovative coaching...

i want to see some tangible improvement as the season goes on.

useless timeouts because they didn't have anything remotely ready to call, then running garbage gimmick plays has to end

Not as the standard formation.

However I would like to see them implement something in the 2 minute or at end of games to speed up the tempo.

Not as the standard formation.

However I would like to see them implement something in the 2 minute or at end of games to speed up the tempo.

I'd settle this year for having 11 men on the field (either way) and having some thought towards getting to the line without letting 20 seconds pee away needlessly.

They tried a no-huddle a few years back and with a fully predictable 3-and-out the D was back on the field in 3 1/2 minutes real time

The main issue imo was how Doug Marrone failed in doing so. He was never all in on it and changed playing styles when the backup stepped in for the injured starter.

The main issue imo was how Doug Marrone failed in doing so. He was never all in on it and changed playing styles when the backup stepped in for the injured starter.

that was so painful feeling sorry for the D having to run right out there again and again and again

you need the personnel to do it, the K-Gun was for that time and situation of the AFC only

Taylor barley has the field vision to see the right side of the football field. TT also doesn't audible to anything advantageous to the offense, he lets the defense control the chess match. TT would also burn all of our timeouts before we even got to the 4th Qtr in the K-Gun. I'm 100% sure Taylor will be gone after this year and I'm 90% sure with his happy feet and the hits he takes that he won't avoid injury this year.

Edited by Call_Of_Ktulu

K-gun was a run-oriented offense to begin with. Not sure how you make it more run-oriented. And I'm not sure we have the OLine required to make it go. Not to mention TT.

K-gun was a run-oriented offense to begin with. Not sure how you make it more run-oriented. And I'm not sure we have the OLine required to make it go. Not to mention TT.

Also, perhaps the greatest reason for the machine-like precision of the K-Gun was Jimbo's ability to make pre-snap reads and adjustments.

People used to marvel at the way Peyton Manning did it, and those of use that saw Jimbo play would just laugh and reminisce about the similarities in their respective command of the game.

Also, perhaps the greatest reason for the machine-like precision of the K-Gun was Jimbo's ability to make pre-snap reads and adjustments.

People used to marvel at the way Peyton Manning did it, and those of use that saw Jimbo play would just laugh and reminisce about the similarities in their respective command of the game.

Then why did Thurman only have 15 carries in SBXXV? Grrrrrrrrrr! Sorry.....Not over it.

Then why did Thurman only have 15 carries in SBXXV? Grrrrrrrrrr! Sorry.....Not over it.

Honestly? Ego is my guess.

Parcells and Belichick figured out how to slow it down and beat it.

Hardly--Jimbo just didn't call enough run plays. They played the whole game with 2 down linemen and still should've lost.

Parcells and Belichick figured out how to slow it down and beat it.

Parcells and Belichick didn't figure out anything. Because they didn't stop it. Kelly's stubbornness, Levy's and Marchibroda's reluctance to inform him, and the Giant's running game is what beat it.

Giving up a point a minute to the opposing team is not stopping anything.

Perhaps the biggest key to Kelly's command was that they usually only installed 8-12 plays and variations on those each week. That offense was a matchup nightmare and Kelly was the best at finding and exploiting them.

Honestly? Ego is my guess.

Hardly--Jimbo just didn't call enough run plays. They played the whole game with 2 down linemen and still should've lost.

Can you say "leverage?" Our OLine would have been knocking the snot out of them if Kelly wasn't so stubborn. Instead, we had to watch their LBs knock the snot out of Reed and Co.

No one got enough touches. We had the ball for 19 minutes.

Would have been a helluva lot longer than 19 minutes had they run the NYG out of that 2 DL lineman look. They played right into the hands of Belichick by throwing into the teeth of their D.

They didn't slow down #34 at all. Best player on the field that day by far. He didn't get enough touches.

Parcells and Belichick devised the game plan that beat the BIlls

remember the Bills were floating around thinking this was a cakewalk after destroying the Raiders (and winning at the Meadowlands in December)

oh, it's not to the credit of the Giants coaching staff that the Bills were limited to 19 touches?

that's TOTAL GENIUS!!!!

Parcells and Belichick devised the game plan that beat the BIlls

remember the Bills were floating around thinking this was a cakewalk after destroying the Raiders (and winning at the Meadowlands in December)

They were vulnerable to the run as Thomas showed just about every time he touched the ball. The Bills failed to make the necessary adjustment to defeat what they were doing just as Mike Martz did years later when the Rams faced Belichick's D.

It's May and here we are speculating about the upcoming season. Here's my take:

We should run a limited huddle offense, similar to the K-Gun. It should be more run oriented, allowing our offensive line the opportunity to smash the opposition, eventually wearing them down. My reasons:

1. We have limited depth on all of our skill positions. This means that we should be running with the same players all 3 downs. This type of offense will keep the opposition from changing defenses, nullifying their advantage in depth.
  2. With the advent of headset radios, plays can be called in from the sideline (except in NE), keeping the quarterback from having to make the calls along with everything he has to do.
  3. We can quickly sub in the 40 yards between the 30 yard marks, especially at the wideout position. This may prompt the opposition to try, which will either pull them out of position or draw a too many men foul.
  4. We have exceptional athletes that can handle the pace.
  5. We were terrible at using the clock the last 2 years. This would sharpen our skills when it came to crunch time in the 4th quarter.

The argument about putting pressure on the defense is there, although I say that the 3 and outs last year did the same.

They called it the K gun and in reality it was a no huddle offense using the old Redskins "counter trey" run scheme.

A few things made that no huddle offense so potent for the Bills back in that day.

First, QB Jim Kelly was brilliant at running a two min offense at the end of the halves and all that no huddle did was allow him to run that 2 min drill for 60 min. The Bills had a very potent WR corps in 7 time pro bowl WR Andre Reed, 8 time pro bowl WR James Loften, speedster WR Don Beebe. (The funny thing is the K gun was named after TE Keith McKeller who never caught more than 44 passes or had more than 464 yards in a season.)

Second, the Bills players were at the top of the league in conditioning because of Bills trainer Rusty Jones http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Former-Bills-coach-Rusty-Jones-receives-Lifetime-Achievement-award/5b49e914-69a9-4bf8-a839-22b18223d2ed

Shoot, I can recall the Bills going down to Miami to play the Dolphins in 90 plus degree heat and the Bills would look so dominant, focused near the end of a game and the Dolphin players were gassed and running for oxygen on the sidelines.

Lastly, the Bills usually ran the ball more than they threw it all those great years of the late 80's, early 90's. It was that counter trey scheme that allowed the offensive linemen to take a step in one direction and then go the other way that slowed the defense down enough to not react on the first move. HoF RB Thurman Thomas was a master at cutback runs and the holes that all pro line on the left side produced you could drive a truck through.

Even the doctors on the team were among the best in the league as both Thurman Thomas and Jim Kelly had huge question marks on them which caused them to drop in their drafts. Thurman with his knee and all that mileage on him. Kelly with his shoulder separation in his senior year at the U which was so bad he needed metal pins inserted to hold it in place. Also, in which doctors had said he may never regain full throwing motion.

Now, with the 2017 roster I doubt the starting QB could run that no huddle like Kelly and besides the current receiving corps is a big question mark. The current O line on the left side looks similar to those great years except those SB years players looked to be a bit better and the right side of the current line is much worse. RB looks to be slightly better back in the day and yet McCoy is the least of the worries in running a no huddle.

They were vulnerable to the run as Thomas showed just about every time he touched the ball. The Bills failed to make the necessary adjustment to defeat what they were doing just as Mike Martz did years later when the Rams faced Belichick's D.

No question Marv and Martz were totally outcoached in those Super Bowls.

It was simple, if Marv and Martz had the easily superior team on paper and it played well it won.

If they didn't, they lost.

Simple as that. never won a game they shouldn't have, lost games they should have won...