5-22: Whaley Will Speak on SiriusXM NFL

Whaley's body of work speaks for itself. He's not GM material.

He may not be a good Gm. He is a good evaluator of talent. The roster the last 3 years has been worthy of a playoff team. Would have been nice if he had the chance to hire one head coach. The QB he drafted sucked. Big time. One of the QBs he acquired, you consider to be very good.....but Rex gets the credit for signing TT because he wanted to sign him with the Jets. Whaley may have been a failure as a GM of the Bills. I just don't think it's entirely his fault. HC and QB win in the NFL. He never hired his HC. Not many GMs get fired before having a chance to hire their own HC. No matter. He is gone, never to be the Bills GM again. EJ is gone, never to be our QB again. McD got what he wanted, a fresh start with his guys. After this season, he'll be tied to whoever our QB is following next season. If Tyrod is that QB, I doubt he makes it past season 5 if he makes it that long

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Classy interview. Whaley did a lot of things right to improve the talent of the team.

Besides the failure to land a franchise QB, his biggest shortcoming was the inability to layout a cohesive team building plan. The Rex hire probably killed any chance he had, but a stronger personality and plan ma

He may not be a good Gm. He is a good evaluator of talent. The roster the last 3 years has been worthy of a playoff team. Would have been nice if he had the chance to hire one head coach. The QB he drafted sucked. Big time. One of the QBs he acquired, you consider to be very good.....but Rex gets the credit for signing TT because he wanted to sign him with the Jets. Whaley may have been a failure as a GM of the Bills. I just don't think it's entirely his fault. HC and QB win in the NFL. He never hired his HC. Not many GMs get fired before having a chance to hire their own HC. No matter. He is gone, never to be the Bills GM again. EJ is gone, never to be our QB again. McD got what he wanted, a fresh start with his guys. After this season, he'll be tied to whoever our QB is following next season. If Tyrod is that QB, I doubt he makes it past season 5 if he makes it that long

You keep saying stuff that you have no clue of the truthfulness passing it off as fact. Show me once where Whaley stated or Pegula stated that Whaley didnt hire a coach. To the contrary on Rex, Whaley was lock step wuth the hire and stated so in the press conference. Whaley wasnt a good gm. He was cavalier with draft picks, cavalier with the cap, lied to players, and argued with every coaching staff.

You keep saying stuff that you have no clue of the truthfulness passing it off as fact. Show me once where Whaley stated or Pegula stated that Whaley didnt hire a coach. To the contrary on Rex, Whaley was lock step wuth the hire and stated so in the press conference. Whaley wasnt a good gm. He was cavalier with draft picks, cavalier with the cap, lied to players, and argued with every coaching staff.

You can say the same thing about almost everything in this thread. Do we know for sure that Whaley wanted EJ over TT? Do we know that Whaley wanted Rex? Of course he said so in the press conference. Was he going to say "I didn't approve of this coach, the Pegulas made the hire against my discretion". We have no idea who's idea it was. Just because the GM backed a hiring doesn't mean it was his choice. Pegula is the boss. Whaley what most employees would do, back his boss. That's the way the world works. There were articles that stated (and we don't know if they are even true) terry and Kim were sold on Rex after the first interview. The same thing was said after McDs interview.

Where did I say he was a good GM? I liked him because he added a lot of talent to this team. After years of having little to no talent, he assembled a fine group of players. He didn't find a great QB or a HC. I've stated this over and over again. That's how I viewed his tenure. Yes, I liked him, but I never said he was a good GM. I would have liked for the Bills another year or 2 to land that QB. As it has turned out, I'm glad our new HC has his GM. While we have no clue how McD will do, I like the hire and everything he's done so far. I'm all in with the new regime and I'm not upset that Whaley is gone. I just don't think whaley was as bad as many here think he was. You disagree.....I get it.

Edited by NewEra

as for the claim that McD is in complete control, all speculation. I'm sure he will have input, heavy input as expected but complete control?

I'll take the owners word before a bn source or someone on this board.

Pegula has virtually now invented owners-speak to compete with coach-speak. Owner-speak has been around for a while just off stage and J Jones really brought it out of the shadows and revealed its existence to the masses disguised as GM-speak since he held dual role. Now Pegula is taking it to another level.

Seriously is their one Bills fan or any other person in this world who believes Pegula when he said they went through a process and suddenly figured out Whaley and all scouts needed to go hours after the draft just ended? Anyone??

Did they call a temp agency to send over 3 platoons of evaluators that did the job with military precision and speed hitting the hallways of One Bills Drive rappelling in on the rooftops form black helicopters just as draft ended? The Army of firing-ONE.

Edited by cba fan

Good man, good talent evaluator. Will get an opportunity to work in this league again as a pro personnel guy. Long road back to a GM position (teams seem to go for retread GMs much less frequently than retreat HCs) but I will always appreciate his efforts here.

He sure went out with a lot more class than Rex did

I was thinking that myself. Compare and contrast with Rex, there is no comparison. Classy interview. Just a few little pokes at Rex, pretty well disguised:

"The Bills won't be beating themselves, (McDermott) will have them as well prepared as any coach."

Translation: "RR did not have the Bills as well prepared as other coaches and at times, they beat themselves" But hey, Whaley phrased it very well.

McDermott never wanted Whaley, and Whaley's days were numbered after the season ended.

That's kind of how I see it.

McDermott introductory presser (Q about 53 man roster): "We’ve talked and going through the process with the Pegula’s, I am very comfortable with the situation and I wouldn’t take this job if I wasn’t comfortable with the situation. Terry and Kim made sure of that and I appreciate that. We’ve had extensive conversations throughout the interview process and they’ve gone to great lengths to make sure that I’m comfortable with things"

Translation: "The Pegulas told me they have Whaley under contract for 3 more years (or whatever it is) and they wanted to keep him on board through the draft, but that once I got familiar with the situation, if I wanted a GM change they would make it"

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

Former Bills GM Doug Whaley for the first time Monday addressed Buffalo's decision to allow RB Mike Gillislee to sign a two-year, $6.4 million offer sheet with New England last month. Whaley told SiriusXM NFL Radio that he believes the Patriots can "overpay" for players like Gillislee because Tom Brady is paid a less than market-value deal.

62f88dc1-18af-492f-953d-c43ab3b5994a.png

Wow. What a load of rubbish. If this is a window into Whaley's thought process, then it's pretty scary that he was in charge of this team for so long.

Cassel's a 2nd stringer making 3x what EJ's making, so he must be awesome.

I hear you, but I think Whaley actually benefitted from having a green owner who didn't know any better than to see what he could do with his own eyes. He managed to get an extension out of it, too.

Mike Mularkey is dumb. Please watch the 2015 Cowboys.

a poll from twobillsdrive could have done better than whaley

at his best he was mediocre

Sure pal. Bunch of whiners who want to cut everyone after every game.

Whaley didn't get to hire the coach and then had to try and get players to fit their system. He is being a good solider but he was never really given a chance to build the team.

Mike Mularkey is dumb. Please watch the 2015 Cowboys.

Sure pal. Bunch of whiners who want to cut everyone after every game.

Whaley didn't get to hire the coach and then had to try and get players to fit their system. He is being a good solider but he was never really given a chance to build the team.

Not only that, the Pegulas did not listen to Whaley when he gave them football advice on the type of coach they should hire. And the guy who steered them wrong is still there.

Not only that, the Pegulas did not listen to Whaley when he gave them football advice on the type of coach they should hire. And the guy who steered them wrong is still there.

Again, I'm forever grateful to the Pegulas and they seem like great people (especially Kim).

But they are much more involved in these teams that they should be at this point.

Again, I'm forever grateful to the Pegulas and they seem like great people (especially Kim).

But they are much more involved in these teams that they should be at this point.

I just don't see any lessons learned by the Pegulas.

The falling love with Lafontaine after meeting him out. Lafontaine hires Ted Nolan and Tim Murray (probably the best Pegula hire, not hired by them directly!) Lafontaine quits and leaves and they hire no guy to manage the Lafontaine role so that Murray can be the head of scouting and bring in players. Then they fire Murray because they wanted him to do more than what he was hired for!

The falling in love with Rex Ryan when they listen to the money man Brandon and disregard the football GM's advice. Ryan plummets the team and Whaley is fired!

The falling in love with Sean before ever meeting him. His name "jumps out at them" and he is on the yacht hanging out before the football guys ask him a single question.

Pegulas are the problem.

Edited by jeffismagic

I just don't see any lessons learned by the Pegulas.

The falling love with Lafontaine after meeting him out. Lafontaine hires Ted Nolan and Tim Murray (probably the best Pegula hire, not hired by them directly!) Lafontaine quits and leaves and they hire no guy to manage the Lafontaine role so that Murray can be the head of scouting and bring in players. Then they fire Murray because they wanted him to do more than what he was hired for!

The falling in love with Rex Ryan when they listen to the money man Brandon and disregard the football GM's advice. Ryan plummets the team and Whaley is fired!

The falling in love with Sean before ever meeting him. His name "jumps out at them" and he is on the yacht hanging out before the football guys ask him a single question.

Pegulas are the problem.

I hate talking bad about them because of everything they have done for Buffalo. Their hearts are in the right place. I know if I owned a team, I would be involved (and hopefully when I marry one of their daughters I will be).

Jerry Jones is super involved but he at least has a pretty good football background. They give Whaley no real power, let him lead a draft, & then fire him. The fall in love with TBG and let him hire the GM.

I hope it works out but man, their logic is all over the place. Still, they saved our teams so I love them (especially Kim).