LB Gerald Hodges visiting-Edit: SIGNED!

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not anti-Reggie; I just need to see him at a lighter weight to feel good about his scheme fit.

I have no issue with that stance. In fact, I kinda agree. Last I heard, Reggie was above his playing weight (this was around the New Year) by a considerable amount.

I think we all expect his target playing weight to be lower than Rex's staff had set (if they did at all). If he's above 240, questions need to be asked about his commitment.

I have no issue with that stance. In fact, I kinda agree. Last I heard, Reggie was above his playing weight (this was around the New Year) by a considerable amount.

I think we all expect his target playing weight to be lower than Rex's staff had set (if they did at all). If he's above 240, questions need to be asked about his commitment.

If Ragland shows up over 240, for a new coaching staff, in a new defense, after a lost rookie year, being a questionable scheme fit, he's a complete, utter moron.

If Ragland shows up over 240, for a new coaching staff, in a new defense, after a lost rookie year, being a questionable scheme fit, he's a complete, utter moron.

The only caveat here is the health of his knee--it's difficult to keep weight under control if you can't work out your lower body.

The only caveat here is the health of his knee--it's difficult to keep weight under control if you can't work out your lower body.

I mean yeah, it's difficult to keep weight under control if you're an adult, period. But he's a professional athlete who needs to prove himself to a brand-new set of coaches who run a different scheme from the coaches who drafted him, and whose scheme requires lighter LBs. There is very little excuse for showing up fat.

This is no-brainer. Hodges starts at the weakest spot on the team immediately (besides for maybe FS). He fits what the Bills need. If they can land Hodges and/or Barnidge they will be in a great place. The LB depth would be pretty solid with Hodges, Brown, Ragland, Lorax, Humber, Milano and Vallejo. I've been saying for a while that the depth on the team wasn't the issue it was the starters in certain spots. Once you add a Zay Jones, Tre White and a Gerald Hodges all of a sudden your depth isn't so bad. Borderline starters get bumped to reserves, reserves move to the 3 deep and guys that don't belong on the roster get released.

Been rooting for this visit.....didnt want to jinx it

Where would he fit best?

Compete for ILB with Ragland and Brown?

Could he move to WLB? Has he played that position before with SF or Min?

I like his ability/history of coverage skills.

College scouting report from NFL.com FWIW:

Hodges is a converted safety who is growing into a NFL starting Sam linebacker’s frame -– but he still has the movement skills to bring down ballcarriers in space. Hodges most impressive trait is his ability to cover, however. He needs to improve at disengaging from blocks, but his coverage skills will likely see him selected on the second day.