Welcome Brian Gaine as VP of Player Personnel!

Here's a good article breaking down how Osweiler was acquired, and what I felt were some of the key points -

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texans/article/Osweiler-acquisition-began-in-film-room-ended-6886807.php

'O'Brien and Smith had agreed from the beginning that if there was a chance the Texans could get Osweiler, they would vigorously pursue him.'

"Rick did a heck of a job," Bob McNair said. "He said, 'I'm going to get you a quarterback. Regardless as to where he might come from, we're going to get you a quarterback".

'... Smith and members of his personnel department were scouting college quarterbacks and preparing their reports for the coaches, who would check them out after the season.

Brian Gaine, who serves as the director of player personnel, oversees the pro department. Part of his responsibility is to compile scouting reports on players in the last year of their contracts and present them to Smith.'

'... O'Brien took off a couple of days before returning to the film room. First, he evaluated each of the Texans. Then, he turned to prospective free agents and watched tape before filing his report with Smith.

When O'Brien finished, Osweiler was at the top of his list of quarterbacks.'

'... Smith brought in his scouts from around the country. They set their draft board. Then, Smith, O'Brien and the assistant coaches reviewed the analysis of each prospective free agent prepared by Gaine and his staff.

They decided how they wanted to attack free agency - what players Smith was going to pursue when the legal tampering period began March 7, two days before the start of the new league year when free agents could sign with other teams.

To make sure they were on the same page, Smith and O'Brien went to the film room and watched hours of tape on the 6-8, 240-pound Osweiler.

"We came out of the film room agreeing that Brock Osweiler was the quarterback to lead us where we want to go," Smith said.'

So it sounds to me that all Gaine did was help put together a scouting report on Osweiler and any other potential free agent (which is what his job entailed). It sounded like it was mostly all Rick Smith and Bill O'Brien to me. From what I've read (in this article and others) Rick Smith was hellbent on getting Bill O'Brien a QB for that following season, and him and BOB decided pretty early on that Osweiler was the one they wanted. They agreed months before that if he hit free agency that they pursue him hard.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Elway wanted Osweiler too. Osweiler didn't want to be in Denver and Houston gave him more money. He had a bad year last year but his team still made the playoffs. They didn't give up assets to get him, they just gave him a big contract and then quickly did what they could to move on when it didn't work. If obrien liked him I think he'd still be there, but he hated him and much of that was his personality more so than his play.

My prediction: if they find a franchise qb, they will be successful. If not, they won't be.

Not like you to go out on a limb so drastically.. I'm duly impressed with these recent hires, but to your prediction, if we can't deliver a killer blow or come from behind in the 4th quarter, 6-10 forever.

All these hires seem to be targeting younger, hungry, yet with plenty of experience. We might be seeing the makings of something we can be proud of long term here folks. This whole new team has a completely different vibe from what was here in the past.

I am not quite sure why the Pegulas didn't do this from the get go, but better late than never,...and TBH I thought never was straying to look like a real possibility.

Fingers crossed!

To be honest, it made sense to me. When they hired Rex, they were very green as owners of the Bills. They already had what appeared to be an up and coming young GM. Hiring a HC with no experience would mean the owner, GM, and HC were all pretty green at their respective positions.

Rex was supposed to be someone who had experience, knew how to win, knew how to beat the Patriots, and as a player's coach, could get the best out of his team. In retrospect, none of that was really true, but on paper, it made sense to me.

Listening to the interviews of Beane, I'm very excited not only about this FO, but of the Pegulas. Beane is very high on the Peguals and their vision as well as the facilities they've put together. He mentioned the draft room, the work out areas, the cafeteria, and the indoor practice facilities when talking with John Murphy and Donald Jones. Beane said he was basically guaranteed to be the next GM of the Panthers and when he investigated this opportunity, he said it was better than he imagined. Murph asked him in what way it was better than he imagined, Beane emphatically said, "The Pegulas."

I highly recommend giving this interview a listen. The part about the Pegulas is in the first few minutes of the interview.

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/audio/Brandon_Beane_Earn_the_right/960c69c8-0fc3-413e-aebc-a9460a7689af

It goes without saying, but this could very well not pan out, we might be reacting to a new GM hire in four years. That said, I'm very optimistic about this staff and more importantly, the Pegulas. They stumbled a little bit at first, but appear to on the right track and certainly are giving their staff everything they want or need to succeed.

Sorry, back to the original topic, Gaine sounds like a very good hire as well.

Edited by elroy16

I will admit that I thought Whaley should be given this year to see how this years and last years draft pans out....especially picking up another 1st round pick next year. Credit who you want to with this years draft but Whaley will get credit or blame being the GM. If you would have told me a month ago that Whaley would be replaced with Beane, Schoen, and Gaine then I would have helped Whaley pack. I think the Pegulas sought help behind the scenes from NFL sources and were pointed in the direction of the Andy Reid's coaching tree. I love the direction the Bills front office is going. Finally the Bills have guys running the show that are respected throughout the NFL.

Elway wanted Osweiler too. Osweiler didn't want to be in Denver and Houston gave him more money. He had a bad year last year but his team still made the playoffs. They didn't give up assets to get him, they just gave him a big contract and then quickly did what they could to move on when it didn't work. If obrien liked him I think he'd still be there, but he hated him and much of that was his personality more so than his play.

Yeah I don't see it as an issue at all. I couldn't be more excited about this Gaine hire. I just seen it continue to get brought up, which is why I posted that article.

The Texans were desperate for a QB.

And who knows, had Jimmy Sexton given Elway the chance to match that Texans offer, he may have done so. He was offering $16.5M per year on a multi year deal, then the Texans offered $18M and Sexton took it without giving Elway the chance to match it (according to that article). Like you said though, I think Osweiler wanted out of Denver.

Lateral move to go from Houston to Buffalo? Makes me wonder why. Did the Pegulas throw a pile of cash his way or something?

I am sure money is a part, but he will also be closer to his family, and have an opportunity to build something with two guys that he knows and respects. It is pretty cool to have something that people want to be a part of for a change.

I am sure money is a part, but he will also be closer to his family, and have an opportunity to build something with two guys that he knows and respects. It is pretty cool to have something that people want to be a part of for a change.

And Houston not blocking the lateral move is fishy as well. Or, maybe I'm just paranoid after the past 2 decades ;)