Welcome Brian Gaine as VP of Player Personnel!

Lateral move to go from Houston to Buffalo? Makes me wonder why. Did the Pegulas throw a pile of cash his way or something?

This guy is well respected, so I trust what he says -

Neil Stratton @InsideTheLeague

"Had heard this was coming. Seemed unlikely due to lateral move, but league sources made it clear Gaine was seeking a fresh start w/#Bills. "

Sounds like maybe he was ready to move on from the Texans, plus wanted to be a part of the Bills.

I also heard Beane on the Nohn Murphy show today. He said they are going to give Gaine even more responsibility than what he had in Houston. He said they plan to help Gaine grow and, basically, ready himself even more for a GM job.

He did also get a raise and a promotion. So I'm sure it was a lot of things that factored in.

Edited by BillsFan4

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This guy is well respected, so I trust what he says -

Neil Stratton @InsideTheLeague

"Had heard this was coming. Seemed unlikely due to lateral move, but league sources made it clear Gaine was seeking a fresh start w/#Bills. "

Sounds like maybe he was ready to move on from the Texans, plus wanted to be a part of the Bills.

I also heard Beane on the Nohn Murphy show today. He said they are going to give Gaine even more responsibility than what he had in Houston. He said they plan to help Gaine grow and, basically, ready himself even more for a GM job.

He did also get a raise and a promotion. So I'm sure it was a lot of things that factored in.

someone mentioned it in another thread that basically the owner overstepped with the osweiller deal that left a bad taste in the fo.

When they signed him that is.

Edited by The Wiz

My friend was telling me a story of old VP of player personnel John Guy. An Intern was interested in being a part of football ops - he basically brought him into the film study room and embarassed him for not knowing anything. How are you supposed to develop talent when you squash everyone, and don't let anyone into the inner circle?

John Guy was our player personnel guy when we signed studs like Dockery, Walker, and TO. Needless to say - he was deservedly canned. And hasn't been in football since.

This guy seems like he was brought up through the ranks... like most people are within like every other organization in football.

Edited by dneveu

My friend was telling me a story of old VP of player personnel John Guy. An Intern was interested in being a part of football ops - he basically brought him into the film study room and embarassed him for not knowing anything. How are you supposed to develop talent when you squash everyone, and don't let anyone into the inner circle?

John Guy was our player personnel guy when we signed studs like Dockery, Walker, and TO. Needless to say - he was deservedly canned. And hasn't been in football since.

This guy seems like he was brought up through the ranks... like most people are within like every other organization in football.

wow... and I know a guy who was a DPP with another team at the time the GM was open before they hired Buddy. They requested to interview for GM and he said he would be open to discussing the role if he could fire John Guy (apparently must have had awful reputation). Bills said no, he couldn't fire him. Then they hired Buddy. Never interviewed him. He's now a GM elsewhere.

wow... and I know a guy who was a DPP with another team at the time the GM was open before they hired Buddy. They requested to interview for GM and he said he would be open to discussing the role if he could fire John Guy (apparently must have had awful reputation). Bills said no, he couldn't fire him. Then they hired Buddy. Never interviewed him. He's now a GM elsewhere.

Lol - tight ship we were running back then. Guy got the job after Levy retired. This all screams Russ Brandon. And we ended up with a lousy GM because of it.

But nooooo he's a marketing geeeenius!

Edited by dneveu

Thanks for the intel, not surprised at all.

What's amazing is that someone like Guy can be so bad on a consistent basis on players.Dealing with NFL players who are not even rookies, so they have a track record in the league, it seems like you would hit on at least 50% of your pro personnel signings.

Back to the topic at hand: this is an exciting hire! I love the look of the new front office. Young, up and coming, very experienced in the league at the same time. Hungry. Smart. Analytical.

Maybe this is the start of something...