Syracuse native Beth Mowins to call 'MNF' game with Rex Ryan

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

having women involved in front of the camera talking about sports played by men lessens the experience for me .....sometimes to the point of extreme irritation.

I hate to say it but I feel the exact same way.

Maybe it's ESPN's way of getting rid of Rex. Stick him in the booth with a woman wearing flip flops. He says something, sexual harassment suit is filed, and boom! Fire him for violation of his contract.

LOL ingenious! But why'd they just hire him then?

Me, if I were her, I'd call the game wearing Keds or maybe runners. Peep-toes be right out and sandals NFW.

Annoying in sports announcing:

1. Just plain bad, no chops to call a game in any role and has no future in getting better.

2. Adds too much hype to a game for no reason, Buck Martinez SCREAMS!!!! for every can of corn as if its a 500 foot tater to win the World Series. Eff him totally.

3. Has read a cuecard to prepare for the game and doesn't know the game in heart or mind, painfully obvious. This can be okay for sports which nobody really knows anything, like the Big Ten outdoor track and field championships, or WNBA games.

Can't disagree with any of that. It's why IMHO announcers who haven't played the sport are sometimes better than those who have....I think sometimes the former players didn't learn the game as a whole, they sort of focused on their role or their side of the ball, and maybe sometimes they feel "entitled" a little bit and don't put in the work to learn any background on the teams or the players they're calling. Whereas the guy (or gal) who just loves sports and puts, as you say, "heart and mind" into it, calls a better game.

OTOH, IMO many of the women announcing sports, are chosen way more for looks than their love of the game or knowledge about it. I'm sure looks are a factor in choosing male announcers too, but maybe there's a broader pool of guys who know something to pick from. Dunno.

WNBA, I heard an interview with a retiring WNBA player, name escapes me now (I know, I know) - she was talking about how they would scrimmage against male NBA players who gave them a lot of respect. But "just guys" would get ridiculously physical with them after the guys were beat a few times and take it in the ego, instead of accepting "if you're going to go up against me, you're going to get beat, because I'm a professional". Heh.

Don't hurt yourself getting down off your soapbox.

It's really not even worth have the discussion with people who immediately point to sexism the moment a man criticizes a noticeable trend in a group of women. You are so quick to choose the "holier than thou" path, that you don't even take the time to understand and digest the point. The fact is that a successful broadcaster must not only have a great deal of knowledge, but also have a pleasant, welcoming, engaging voice for the listeners. It is simply my opinion that most, not all, of the women doing it do not have this quality. There are some out there that do, like Jessica Mendoza for example, and I fully support women like her in the role. But in my viewing experience, she is in the vast minority of female broadcasters at this point. Of course, there are men that do as well, it just seems to be way less (proportionally at least). I feel that many companies are hiring women broadcasters just to give an appearance of diversity, when they should be thinking about hiring the right PERSON regardless of gender.

I mean, Suzny Waldman sounds like a 75 year old Long Island woman who smoked a pack of cigarettes a day for 40 years.

No fear. I'm a professional soapbox leaper *g*

Just FTR, I didn't bring up sexism here. But frankly, if you're going to toss out some goofball made up statistic about "90%" this and "20%" that, why would you expect someone to take time to "digest and understand" what you just made up?

I do repeat, if you truly find 90% of something annoying, I think you might want to ask why, 'cuz maybe it's that thing - but maybe it is you. Then you learn something.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

Beth: "Wow that pick 6 by Rivers was elite. What do you think, Rex? That's your former OC Anthony Lynn out there calling shots. You must be proud."

Rex: "No question. You know Beth, that corner who picked off Phillip went to Clemson."

Hapless: WNBA, I heard an interview with a retiring WNBA player, name escapes me now (I know, I know) - she was talking about how they would scrimmage against male NBA players who gave them a lot of respect. But "just guys" would get ridiculously physical with them after the guys were beat a few times and take it in the ego, instead of accepting "if you're going to go up against me, you're going to get beat, because I'm a professional".

Geez, if they stepped into the paint with the pros risking their spot in the NBA lineup and their paychecks, they'd get an elbow right through the forehead that would almost kill them.

Hapless: WNBA, I heard an interview with a retiring WNBA player, name escapes me now (I know, I know) - she was talking about how they would scrimmage against male NBA players who gave them a lot of respect. But "just guys" would get ridiculously physical with them after the guys were beat a few times and take it in the ego, instead of accepting "if you're going to go up against me, you're going to get beat, because I'm a professional".

Geez, if they stepped into the paint with the pros risking their spot in the NBA lineup and their paychecks, they'd get an elbow right through the forehead that would almost kill them

"If"....huh. Found it, it's Tina Thompson. Woman has a kid with an NBA player, kid knows NBA players, says she knows a lot of players who are or have played in the NBA. Guess you'd know better than she if they scrimmage or play pickup games.

Of the two of these Rex is actually the one who appears unqualified. The usual combo of sports announcer & ex-player/GM is fine. I don't get the problem with her replacing a male sports-announcer as long as she's competent at her job.

I see nothing wrong with that opinion.

Serious question though, would you take a good female announcer over a 16 game slate of Solomon Wilcots calling Beeeeellls games? Now I understand this is purely hypothetical given Wilcots got the axe at CBS.

I agree. It's fine to state ones opinion, but to say that you'd take any man over any woman announcing seems unreasonable. I'm sure there are plenty of women who could do better than hacks like Phil Simms. The issue is that real broadcasters aren't hired anymore. The networks to turn to any and every ex jock who's interested in broadcasting. This kills the quality of sports broadcasting. I understand why they do it, but it's not about quality.

I agree. It's fine to state ones opinion, but to say that you'd take any man over any woman announcing seems unreasonable. I'm sure there are plenty of women who could do better than hacks like Phil Simms. The issue is that real broadcasters aren't hired anymore. The networks to turn to any and every ex jock who's interested in broadcasting. This kills the quality of sports broadcasting. I understand why they do it, but it's not about quality.

I could say something really caustic and hurtful but will bite my tongue. If you really want to go down this road I can oblige. I would suggest, however, that you revisit my comment and edit your post as you see fit.

Don't lump "all men" into the category of broadcasters I was referring to. For instance, if there were two qualified broadcasters, one male and one female, I would prefer listening to the man announce football.

As you can see, I'm not unreasonable after all.

Rex's ego is getting in the way of his happiness and success.

If he would go the Wade Phillips route and work hard at being a DC for a great offensive head coach he could win a ring or two as a DC and be celebrated as a defensive genius.

But his ego won't allow him to be anything but the head guy, and he isn't ready to work as hard as it takes anymore.

Doris Burke or bust.

Espn's going overboard with the must have a woman on every show thing.

Does it take away the importance of the Boilermakers hosting the Golden Gophers on an October Saturday afternoon?