Syracuse native Beth Mowins to call 'MNF' game with Rex Ryan

Mmmmm, I would say when you find 90% of something annoying, it might be time to ask yourself why you find that particular thing annoying. 'Cuz maybe it's just intrinsically annoying, or maybe it is a double standard on your part.

Annoying in sports announcing:

1. Just plain bad, no chops to call a game in any role and has no future in getting better.

2. Adds too much hype to a game for no reason, Buck Martinez SCREAMS!!!! for every can of corn as if its a 500 foot tater to win the World Series. Eff him totally.

3. Has read a cuecard to prepare for the game and doesn't know the game in heart or mind, painfully obvious. This can be okay for sports which nobody really knows anything, like the Big Ten outdoor track and field championships, or WNBA games.

Edited by row_33

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two newbies in a week one game? She had better wear closed toed shoes so they can both concentrate on the game.

Maybe it's ESPN's way of getting rid of Rex. Stick him in the booth with a woman wearing flip flops. He says something, sexual harassment suit is filed, and boom! Fire him for violation of his contract.

Where the hell is Gus Johnson? Is he on a college network? Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Jim Nantz got very jealous and had Gus exiled from major broadcasting.

(apparently)

I want more Gus as well.

How on earth does she do that? Listening to her call college basketball games is evident that she doesnt know what she is talking about.

Maybe, but to be fair, how is this different from the majority of announcers?

Where the hell is Gus Johnson? Is he on a college network? Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

He's with Fox Sports. I miss him during the tourney.

Think he is still doing college games for Fox mostly. Love his energy and creativity. "He's got run away from the cops speed" was an all time classic.

Would you guys stop with the sexism allegations? Double standards? Seriously? Can't a guy express an opinion about his preference on announcers without the morality police and social justice warriors pointing fingers and screaming foul?

Quite simply: I PREFER MEN ANNOUNCING FOOTBALL OVER WOMEN. Their voices are more in tune with the violent sport I love to watch. There...I said it. And this is coming from the father of two daughters as well (like Hondo above).

Well, part of the problem is that the criteria for selecting women to cover sports, is weighted more towards "looks good on camera" and less towards "knows what they're talking about and can speak about it clearly"

ESPN apparently ignored this criteria when they hired Doris Burke.

Would you guys stop with the sexism allegations? Double standards? Seriously? Can't a guy express an opinion about his preference on announcers without the morality police and social justice warriors pointing fingers and screaming foul?

Quite simply: I PREFER MEN ANNOUNCING FOOTBALL OVER WOMEN. Their voices are more in tune with the violent sport I love to watch. There...I said it. And this is coming from the father of two daughters as well (like Hondo above).

I see nothing wrong with that opinion.

Serious question though, would you take a good female announcer over a 16 game slate of Solomon Wilcots calling Beeeeellls games? Now I understand this is purely hypothetical given Wilcots got the axe at CBS.

I see nothing wrong with that opinion.

Serious question though, would you take a good female announcer over a 16 game slate of Solomon Wilcots calling Beeeeellls games? Now I understand this is purely hypothetical given Wilcots got the axe at CBS.

Yep. He played the game. But I get your point.

Maybe it's ESPN's way of getting rid of Rex. Stick him in the booth with a woman wearing flip flops. He says something, sexual harassment suit is filed, and boom! Fire him for violation of his contract.

...rather watch the Weather Channel or a can of Benjamin Williams dry.............

Al Michaels didn't play and I'd take him over any current or old player.

Al is ok. Shoot, Howard Cossell never played the game but he had a unique approach to announcing games. But the best color commentators usually have some "experience" to lend to the broadcast that a woman just can't contribute. In my opinion, that makes their announcing a football game manufactured.

Women do a great job announcing tennis, figure skating, women's soccer, softball, gymnastics, etc. (all of which I watch when they are on).