Peter King/MMQB: The Bills Begin... Again

That was a good read. Thanks for sharing Yolo. Definitely seems like Beane and McDermott are very close. Interesting that it sounds like Beane had to be recruited to come here, too.

Here is an article on Beane's appearance on Howard & Jermey this morning. It adds some context to McDermott & Beane's comments on the QB -

http://www.wgr550.com/articles/news/just-mcdermott-beane-wont-fully-commit-taylor-bills-starting-qb

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Years ago when Buddy Nix was hired to be the GM, King wondered why we brought Nix out of retirement when we could have hired an up-and-coming personnel star like, for example, Doug Whaley of Pittsburgh. Then we did hire Whaley and the drought continued.

King is so much better connected than most media guys and this interview is pretty neat. But his take on things isn't always on target.

"MMQB: Is Buffalo’s quarterback of the future on the roster now?

McDermott: He is, in Tyrod Taylor. And then when you look at the competition we have behind him. We’ve drafted Nathan Peterman, we’ve added T.J. Yates, and then Cardale Jones in the draft a year ago. I’m not sure there is a team out there that has the depth that we do at the quarterback position. So we feel good about that. We’re anxious to see how Tyrod develops in his third year as a starter in a new system, a system that he has some familiarity with in terms of [new Buffalo offensive coordinator] Rick Dennison’s system in Baltimore a few years back with Gary Kubiak."

McDermott said the same thing about having our #2 wide receiver on the roster before the draft. Then they traded up to get a receiver.

I think it's just coach speak. But I am glad they are open minded about it. Tyrod deserves a chance to establish himself as the Bills QB. I love his work ethic. Seems like he never leaves One Bills Drive, even during the offseason.

"McDermott: Whether it was a corner or a safety or whatever position, as a defensive coordinator, I tried to look at the defense like I was the head coach of the defense, and thankfully [coach] Ron Rivera gave me that space to do that. As coaches sometimes, we forget that we have to deal with the money part of decisions at times. So Brandon had a good way of saying, Look, there are some other things at play once in a while that we just need to keep in mind."

This made me nervous. I thought that Brandon had no say in football operations.

"McDermott: Whether it was a corner or a safety or whatever position, as a defensive coordinator, I tried to look at the defense like I was the head coach of the defense, and thankfully [coach] Ron Rivera gave me that space to do that. As coaches sometimes, we forget that we have to deal with the money part of decisions at times. So Brandon had a good way of saying, Look, there are some other things at play once in a while that we just need to keep in mind."

This made me nervous. I thought that Brandon had no say in football operations.

I believe he's referring to Brandon beane when they were in Carolina. Not Russ.

Not sure where you're going with the ambitious comment. The guy's made it this far, hasn't he? Anyone, even the most ambitious, is going to think hard about moving from the Carolinas to Buffalo. This also meant that his kid has to go into a new high school. There's a lot of added stress put on the family.

Few stay in the same place for long periods of time in the NFL if you haven't noticed. That's a given. If comfort comes first to him, and not the team, not a job that represents the pinnacle of his profession, he's in the wrong job.

Few stay in the same place for long periods of time in the NFL if you haven't noticed. That's a given. If comfort comes first to him, and not the team, not a job that represents the pinnacle of his profession, he's in the wrong job.

i don't think it's comfort. He wants to be a GM of a team. Didn't have to be Carolina. He interviewed with SF. He has to make the right choice because he does, and will, have options. The option didn't have to be going to Buffalo. He could have waited until the next offseason where he once again would be a candidate for GM openings. Maybe in situations better than here. He took a leap of faith. Edited by YoloinOhio

He came here it would seem because he knows he can make an effective team with the HC and because he feels they will build a championship team. Trying to drag this comfort thing into it is just dreaming up negatives.

Nice read. I know we've all come to distrust what guys say coming out of the gate here in Buffalo, but I really think the Pegula's have finally figured out how to get the right people running their sports teams.

We just may be in the early days of the next golden era.

Pegulas Pegulas Pegulas Pegulas Pegulas. NO APOSTROPHE!

For me it's all fluff.

I don't put any stock into the offseason fluff articles anymore.

Actions are louder then words.

I hear ya ScottLaw...all the talking in the world won't buy us any wins and we have seen plenty of empty talking. But, these guys are going to be with us for at least the next three years (hopefully more if they succeed), so I do like articles like this to help me get a better idea about who these guys are as people, so I know who I'm rooting for.

Okay...you're making it as black and white as possible. If you haven't noticed, there's a grey area.

This is pretty funny... painfully so

New Bills Bosses Are Sending Tyrod Taylor a Mixed Message Loud and Clear

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2709758-new-bills-bosses-are-sending-a-tyrod-taylor-a-mixed-message-loud-and-clear

Boy.....this really is interesting. They are talking out of both sides of their mouths.

In other words, Taylor must win the job from a super-raw second-year player with 19 regular-season snaps (per Pro Football Focus), a fifth-round pick and pro football's pluckiest fourth-stringer. That's significantly different from "quarterback of the future," guys. But it gets nuttier.

"Can we guarantee he is on our roster right now?," McDermott asked, rhetorically. "That remains to be seen and that is true at a lot of positions on our roster."

Whoa. That was a sudden nosedive from starter-with-a-future to the roster bubble. You have to admire a coach and general manager who aren't afraid to ask themselves the tough questions. It's a good thing King didn't ask these guys what is on their MP3 players.