Peter King/MMQB: The Bills Begin... Again

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice read. I know we've all come to distrust what guys say coming out of the gate here in Buffalo, but I really think the Pegula's have finally figured out how to get the right people running their sports teams.

We just may be in the early days of the next golden era.

Great read. As for the hand-wringing over "who has the 53?" I loved this response from Beane when asked about being "tied at the hip" to McD:

That was part of the attraction of the job. There were a lot of attractions, but I don’t have to get to know the guy I am going to be working side by side with personally, away from the office. I already know that. I have that box checked. I know that this guy is going to have my back and he knows I am going to have his back. And that’s a huge thing in this business. We know how important it is to trust each other. It’s so funny when people ask, Who’s got control? Who has the 53-man roster? Honestly, we don’t care about it. We are going to make decisions together and we are going to talk about everything that affects the roster, the staff, and that is what’s exciting. You don’t get that everywhere. You read about dysfunction in various organizations and that is part of the reason I am here. I did not want to leave Carolina for something I was unsure of. This seemed like as sure a thing as there can be in the NFL, to partner up with Sean.

Lots of reason for optimism -- for those who want to see it.

"MMQB: Is Buffalo’s quarterback of the future on the roster now?

McDermott: He is, in Tyrod Taylor. And then when you look at the competition we have behind him. We’ve drafted Nathan Peterman, we’ve added T.J. Yates, and then Cardale Jones in the draft a year ago. I’m not sure there is a team out there that has the depth that we do at the quarterback position. So we feel good about that. We’re anxious to see how Tyrod develops in his third year as a starter in a new system, a system that he has some familiarity with in terms of [new Buffalo offensive coordinator] Rick Dennison’s system in Baltimore a few years back with Gary Kubiak."

McDermott: He is, in Tyrod Taylor. And then when you look at the competition we have behind him. We’ve drafted Nathan Peterman, we’ve added T.J. Yates, and then Cardale Jones in the draft a year ago. I’m not sure there is a team out there that has the depth that we do at the quarterback position. So we feel good about that. We’re anxious to see how Tyrod develops in his third year as a starter in a new system, a system that he has some familiarity with in terms of [new Buffalo offensive coordinator] Rick Dennison’s system in Baltimore a few years back with Gary Kubiak."

I really hope that is just coach speak and he is not serious. Because then we have a VERY serious problem.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/05/15/buffalo-bills-sean-mcdermott-brandon-beane-nfl-peter-king

MMQB: Is Buffalo’s quarterback of the future on the roster now?

McDermott: He is, in Tyrod Taylor.

Per usual, you pick one line out of context when both McD and Beane specifically went further in the discussion. You're an embarrassing "contributor" to this board.

Per usual, you pick one line out of context when both McD and Beane specifically went further in the discussion. You're an embarrassing "contributor" to this board.

Pick out whatever line you like best. There is no context needed other than he qualifies everything in coaching cliches. Attacking posters without discussing football is your shtick.

Pick out whatever line you like best. There is no context needed other than he qualifies everything in coaching cliches. Attacking posters without discussing football is your shtick.

I challenge posters who post unsubstantiated opinions and pass them off as facts, or those who embark upon crusades, to explain themselves. You've proven incapable of doing so.

I challenge posters who post unsubstantiated opinions and pass them off as facts, or those who embark upon crusades, to explain themselves. You've proven incapable of doing so.

Look in the mirror. You just stated you are here to put people in their place who don't agree with your opinion of the Bills.

If you have a point to make, make it.

Edited by jeffismagic

Look in the mirror. You just stated you are here to put people in their place who don't agree with your opinion of the Bills.

If you have a point to make, make it.

i think his point is everytime qb is mentioned in a thread you jump in and start crying about it because the bills didnt draft your precious mahomes. We get it, u think the bills qbs are horrible

i think his point is everytime qb is mentioned in a thread you jump in and start crying about it because the bills didnt draft your precious mahomes. We get it, u think the bills qbs are horrible

Actually, nothing of the sort happened here. I quoted a relevant passage from the story that the OP also did. We posted the same thing at the same time yet only I was attacked. Crusade is coming from eball.

You brought up Mahomes. I never did. Looks like the problem is people were upset I had an opinion and now attack me for other opinions.

Edited by jeffismagic

I really hope that is just coach speak and he is not serious. Because then we have a VERY serious problem.

They have a starter in TT that has done pretty well, albeit in a somewhat different scheme (running vs. passing) then what one sees in most QBs. He now has an OC that he's played with before, and who apparently wants to tailor the offense to his skill set (for example: I see them moving the pocket more to give him more throwing lanes). They got a veteran backup QB. They have a second year guy with good physical skills that they can continue to develop, and a rookie that has come from a more pro style offense and who from reports at rookie camp came in and already had a pretty good grasp on the offense. Perhaps none of them are All Pros, but they have guys they think can handle the position and that they can develop.

Bottom line is last year their offense wasn't bad. Continue to design things around TT's strengths, develop the young guys.

oh boy ....

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

They have a starter in TT that has done pretty well, albeit in a somewhat different scheme (running vs. passing) then what one sees in most QBs. He now has an OC that he's played with before, and who apparently wants to tailor the offense to his skill set (for example: I see them moving the pocket more to give him more throwing lanes). They got a veteran backup QB. They have a second year guy with good physical skills that they can continue to develop, and a rookie that has come from a more pro style offense and who from reports at rookie camp came in and already had a pretty good grasp on the offense. Perhaps none of them are All Pros, but they have guys they think can handle the position and that they can develop.

Bottom line is last year their offense wasn't bad. Continue to design things around TT's strengths, develop the young guys.

Well, not going to debate TT. As for Cardale, Yates, and Peterman none of this group would give me a warm feeling if Tyrod went down and they had to start.

I think McD wants the QBs to feel confident going into camp and that he believes in their ability/potential or they wouldn't be here.. I don't think he means he thinks they are set. The comments that followed were pretty clear. It's better than Rex announcing "Well we don't have Lebron at QB that's for sure! Har har har."

Edited by YoloinOhio

Great read?? That was as boring and uninsightful as their respective press conferences.

King used to at least get the odd readable articles via his fabled ass-kissing but he can't even do that anymore.

I picked that out too. Should I be embarrassed? TT and Yates are the only ones with experience, the others are CJ who was stated as being very raw and the 5th round NP.

I don't buy that at all. Good coach speak, nothing more.

Brady, Garoppolo and Brisset. 1 Super Star and two others that won games making it look easy. Brisset played the Bills with an injured thumb which may be why the Pats scored 0 points.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan