Optimism Anyone?

H2o

Level of Optimism at this Stage  

241 members have voted

1. 1. I know it's early, but where are you at right now?

• Extremely Optimistic - Definitely Expecting​ Playoffs
    • Mildly Optimistic - Expecting Improvement, but no Playoffs
    • Slightly Optimistic - Hoping for the Best, but low Expectations
    • Not Optimistic - This Team is Still Hopeless

How could he come from the Lealie Frazier coaching tree?

McDermott never even worked under Frazier, so I don't see how he can come from his tree (unless I am just misunderstanding what you are saying here). Usually when someone says a coach comes from another coach's tree it means that he was an assistant coach who was brought up and mentored by that head coach (which is one reason why everyone always says McDermott is from Andy Reid's coaching tree).

LF was a defensive backs coach in Philly from '99 to '02.

Sean McDermott was hired as a scout in '99. He was promoted to Andy Reid's assistant in 2000. He didn't even start working on the defensive side of the ball until '02 (the same year Frazier left). Then McDermott worked under Jim Johnson from '02 until '09 when JJ passed away. He then took over the defense and ran that same aggressive 4-3 under zone JJ defense in Philly, and took basically that same (aggressive) system with him to Carolina (although with less zone blitzes (from what I read Rivera limited the blitzing)).

Even the Rivera influence I'm not sure about. I've already went into detail on why I see Andy Reid's influence all over this team already, so I won't get into that again.

But as far as McD's defense in Carolina, I still see more of Jim Johnson/Sean McDermott Philly defense than I do Ron Rivera's. But Rivera hasn't coached a 4-3 defensive scheme since '05-'06, so it's been a while since I seen his scheme (and it was married with Lovie Smith's D scheme at the time). Rivera had switched to a 3-4 defense in his time as a DC since his days in Chicago, and obviously that scheme was much different than what was run in Carolina.

My opinion is the Sean McDermott is from a branch of the Jim Johnson tree. Ron Rivera, Leslie Frazier, and Sean McDermott all are in a group of people that think in a similar fashion.

I suppose you can also say technically McDermott is from the Andy Reid tree. But offensive and defensive coaches think differently so I don't see this as helpful except for the cheating tree of Belichick. But keep in mind BB is no longer a defensive coach. He has a hand in everything.

I see Sean, Leslie, and Ron as assistants of Jim Johnson. Andy Reid is known as a high end strategic thinking coach, a master of WCO, and QB guru. Andy Reid values QB play. I am sure Sean learned things but I don't see him close to an Andy Reid at all. Brad Childress also didn't want to be his offensive coordinator which I thought was also telling.

Edited by jeffismagic

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Russ Brandon gets fired and we conduct a real GM and coaching search I will have hope again. Right now I see an aging and deteriorating roster. The defense peaked in 2014 and the offense peaked in 2015 and the talent for both has declined steadily since those peak years.

We hired a defensive coach from the Ron Rivera/Leslie Frazier Tree. That coach ran the last draft from a board created by scouts that were then fired. The GM search ended with Sean's wrestling buddy from Carolina who doesn't have a scouting background but is more of an admin guy. They say they share a vision but that vision looks like getting players for the next year to help out the coach. The future has been not attended to again

And how will Sean the Wrestler and Brandon Beane settle disputes? Let's say Brandon wants a QB and Sean wants a LB next year in the first round. Sean McDermott, "We'll probably get that wrestling mat out." (9 minutes into video)

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/McDermott-on-Beane-First-Rookie-Minicamp/7b10fe63-9217-4da9-baa7-102207d2fd24

What a ridiculous post. You clearly haven't read anything but one-line blurbs about Beane, haven't listened to what others in the league have said about both of these guys, and aren't even capable of recognizing a joke when you hear one.

The fact you think you already "know" what kind of a head coach McD is, is laughable.

I am optimistic. When is the last time a new regime said "We need to.learn the division first." Because they do. Never saw that with Nix, Whaley, and their associated coaches. McD also seems comfortable with Tyrod at QB. There may be QB competition. but,Tyrod's job for this season is safe. As it should be.

Just don't F^^k up Watkins Bills career and get a long term extension in place by game 10.'The tag is foolish. You believe in your players or you don't. Look at J. Jones recovery time. This should not he a 6 year audition. This kid is 23 years old. Some longtime scrubs on Whaley's teams with no ceiling got better breaks and they sucked and they were injured. Easley a no talent reciever comes too mind. His ST play was not why they drafted him from football pwerhouse U-conn.

Go McBeane

I feel like one of the castaways on Gilligan's Island. Every time someone lands on the island and promises we'll be rescued, something falls through and they leave without us. It's almost as if next season is like next week's episode. :bag:

Agreed. A lot of the posts cheering the new FO sound like the ol' Yogi Berra saying, "deja vue all over again".

Every time there's a regime change, things are supposed to change, but aside having different scapegoats, making different excuses, and finding different ways to lose football games, especially key football games, not much really changes. In the last decade, the Bills have won 4 games, 8 games, and 9 games once each. They've also had 4 six win seasons and 3 seven win ones. That's 6.6 wins per season.

I'll believe there's been a real change in the team when I see it, which means it needs to start consistently winning football games, especially the ones it's expected or needs to win, and making the playoffs more than once every quarter of a century. Until I see some results that say differently, I'm not buying the spiel.

Edited by SoTier

Mildly optomistic, but this always happen with a regime change or a coach change so my opinion here means NOTHING because I've been wrong every single time

Edited by ddaryl

Agreed. A lot of the posts cheering the new FO sound like the ol' Yogi Berra saying, "deja vue all over again".

Every time there's a regime change, things are supposed to change, but aside having different scapegoats, making different excuses, and finding different ways to lose football games, especially key football games, not much really changes. In the last decade, the Bills have won 4 games, 8 games, and 9 games once each. They've also had 4 six win seasons and 3 seven win ones. That's 6.6 wins per season.

I'll believe there's been a real change in the team when I see it, which means it needs to start consistently winning football games, especially the ones it's expected or needs to win, and making the playoffs more than once every quarter of a century. Until I see some results that say differently, I'm not buying the spiel.

Totally respect wanting to wait & see, but when was the last time we had anything close to regime change? You have to go back 10+ years, as Levy, Brandon, Nix, & Whaley were all inside hires (and terrible ones, at that). I don't think firing someone & replacing them with their pupil qualifies. This time actually feels different to me.

Totally respect wanting to wait & see, but when was the last time we had anything close to regime change? You have to go back 10+ years, as Levy, Brandon, Nix, & Whaley were all inside hires (and terrible ones, at that). I don't think firing someone & replacing them with their pupil qualifies. This time actually feels different to me.

It really does feel different,

While I think there are plenty of talented players on this team, there seem to be a lot of holes and question marks. I expect to see 'improvement', but that word does not mean I expect more wins. It looks like a tough schedule right now. It is an entirely new coaching staff/philosophy (again). I do think that this group has the right idea. Do not try to be flashy, rather build a disciplined consistent foundation. I also think Pegs is not going to put the pressure on to win now or your fired. I was disappointed when Marrone flew the coop - and even moreso when we were stuck with Rex. The lesson finally learned was that Whaley was the wrong person for the way that job was playing out. He didn't get along with Marrone or Rex and was unlikely to work with McD. I don't know Whaley was horrible - but he was handcuffed and dealt with that badly.

Edited by MTBill

Pretty much same approach. Be a fan. follow team. hope for best.

yup.

It really does feel different,

good reason for that feeling i suspect : )

It's funny and sad and true; I have a friend here in Ohio that talks about how all the Bills fans he's ever run into are "very optimistic" before the season starts.

I will take that as a compliment as should we all. Most all anyways

You know, I am optimistic. I understand most prognosticators are predicting a ~6 win season. But with the players we have, the new coaching staff, the new attitude...I really believe the Bills can be the surprise team of the NFL this year. Playoffs are not out of the question. Milano has a real shot to be a late round gem...

Edited by Domdab99

You know, I am optimistic. I understand most prognosticators are predicting a ~6 win season. But with the players we have, the new coaching staff, the new attitude...I really believe the Bills can be the surprise team of the NFL this year. Playoffs are not out of the question. Milano has a real shot to be a late round gem...

Good call! I'm taking the over on 5.5? wins with the Bills for sure.

....optimism?....I will truncate my 55 years of following this club and start with the Polian era.....the post Polian Era (special thanks to the POS Littmann) was the "pinnacle of patchwork" from FO to Administration to coaching......Abbott & Costello, Laurel & Hardy, Three Stooges, pick you poison....so here we are today...a cadre of young gun 40 somethings (YES unproven) in the FO/Administration/Coaching ranks......think the Pegulas are learning from their initial mistakes ?.....think the FO/Administration/Coaching hires are on the cheap?....it is out of their pockets to build what they want and perceive is the best organization for this club....think TP wrote the check for $1.4 BILLION to field an embarrassing loser?....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

..it is quite humorous to read the TBD "PG-13 Gang" and their posts, who are actually a mirror image of their BBMB brethren despite continual references to "you refugees".....not hard to weed through the drivel...now back to the topic......optimism?....I will truncate my 55 years of following this club and start with the Polian era.....the post Polian Era (special thanks to the POS Littmann) was the "pinnacle of patchwork" from FO to Administration to coaching......Abbott & Costello, Laurel & Hardy, Three Stooges, pick you poison....so here we are today...a cadre of young gun 40 somethings (YES unproven) in the FO/Administration/Coaching ranks......think the Pegulas are learning from their initial mistakes ?.....think the FO/Administration/Coaching hires are on the cheap?....it is out of their pockets to build what they want and perceive is the best organization for this club....think TP wrote the check for $1.4 BILLION to field an embarrassing loser?.....there are and always be a group of pathetically negative azzclowns inhabiting this place (BBMB was NO different) despite what they do to get to the top..........

Ummm, I have a guess! OK, Rex was a mistake, but Rex is gone. If people thought this would be quick or easy, they were wrong. But I certainly like what I'm seeing lately. No guarantees, but I like the direction, a lot. Lighten up and enjoy.

Edited by Augie

I chose moderately, but I am very encouraged by the changes so far. I don't see our roster as playoff caliber right now. I am very happy about the front office restructure and look forward to seeing how good our coaching staff is. If the coaching staff shows competence at developing players this year, our team starts showing some heart in crunch time and McD shows some poise in critical situations I will be pretty encouraged as far as 2018 when we look to not be killed by the cap and will have 2 1st rd picks.

Edited by ndirish1978