NFL Draft 2017- What I would have done as the Bills GM

10. Deshaun Watson QB

44. Jordan Willis DE

75. Shaquill Griffin CB

91. Carl Lawson DE

117. Blair Brown LB

156. Bucky Hodges TE

195. Robert Davis WR

Lets see whose draft class is better a couple years down the line. My money is on me.

No OT or Safety? Interesting you went with 2 DE's. I for one am happy to not take Watson at 10. I'll take the next year's 1st over him every time

It's a decent haul, helps when you don't trade away your extra 3rd round pick, and have a 4th, lol

However I still like HC Sean's better

I assume Willis would play OLB but short term Lawson and Brown are redundant

And we would really look bare at RT, again, and #2 WR

Yours is wholly based on Watson becoming a franchise QB

Sean's is overall IMO a better selection of talented potential starting plug n play players

jc

10. Deshaun Watson QB

44. Jordan Willis DE

75. Shaquill Griffin CB

91. Carl Lawson DE

117. Blair Brown LB

156. Bucky Hodges TE

195. Robert Davis WR

Lets see whose draft class is better a couple years down the line. My money is on me.

How'd you get pick 91 without trading out of 10?

My guess is No.44 Jordan Willis has a good shot at being in the top third at his position within the next four years. That may have been the best player available but not necessarily a position of immediate need. I also like the flyer on hodges. No offence but I would take the draft as it played out with an extra #1. I am fairly confident we upgraded #2 wr, corner, and possibly rg. BPA is extremely overated. Always take the Player that makes OUR team better.

I cut him some slack for the hindsight in this case. It isn't like any of these guys have played a game yet. I can't stand the people that in week 16 are saying, "I can't believe that the Bills didn't trade up for Zeke or Bosa and then take Dak in the next round. That's what I would have done." So while we have the benefit of hindsight here it isn't combined with results. These guys are all still unknown.

I cut him some slack for the hindsight in this case. It isn't like any of these guys have played a game yet. I can't stand the people that in week 16 are saying, "I can't believe that the Bills didn't trade up for Zeke or Bosa and then take Dak in the next round. That's what I would have done." So while we have the benefit of hindsight here it isn't combined with results. These guys are all still unknown.

True but it's still different knowing what guys are there at your pick then when you don't. If GMs knew who would be there at their pick the draft board would only need to be 5 to 10 players long depending on how many picks you have and the exact player to pick could be determined before the draft even got here.

True but it's still different knowing what guys are there at your pick then when you don't. If GMs knew who would be there at their pick the draft board would only need to be 5 to 10 players long depending on how many picks you have and the exact player to pick could be determined before the draft even got here.

The point is they did know who was there at the pick. They have their boards built and when they get to a particular spot the rankings still stand. There isn't a benefit of hindsight now unless someone gets injured or in trouble off the field.

So true. There were many narratives last year at this time that Zeke was a reach, Bosa wouldn't fit as a 34 DE, and nobody was talking about Dak. Nobody knows anything yet.

By taking KCs deal, we passed on some highly regarded prospects. Two QBs, the #1 CB, the #1B safety, and a DE/NT/DT freak in Jonathan Allen. I do hope this doesn't come back to sting us in the long run. Of course, ammo for next year doesn't hurt, especially if we need a QB and the hype actually lines up with a really talented class.

Edited by TheElectricCompany

Thanks Kirby. The hindsight argument does have some merit. I had Willis ranked as a top 15 player. Still would have taken Watson over him at 10 but def had him two rounds early. Biggest miss was Bucky Hodges, had him going in the 2nd round. Still can't believe he was drafted in the 6th round. The other guys I had them pretty much where they were drafted so much wouldn't change. Also I would have the benefit of other scouts and a draft board where I would have known that Hodges could be drafted in 5th round. I understand that its much easier to sit here and play armchair gm than the actual pressure of really doing it live. Still fun to see a couple years down the line how the projections pan out.

What I would have done:

Trade down from 10 to 27 to draft best CB available, likely White. Check.

Trade up to grab Zay Jones in round 2 as he was my favorite WR in the entire draft class. Check.

Round 3, draft Dion Dawkins. Not sure if trade up was necessary as Dan Feeney was still on board.

Round 3, trade up pick 91 to pick 76 giving us back to back picks and jumping above Panthers to select Daeshon Hall from Texas A&M.

Round 4, no pick due to trade up.

Round 5, pick 1 traded away - pick 2, Nathan Peterman. Surprised he lasted this long.

Round 6 & 7, meh... Couldn't really tell you.

The Bills drafted very well imo.

10. Deshaun Watson QB

44. Jordan Willis DE

75. Shaquill Griffin CB

91. Carl Lawson DE

117. Blair Brown LB

156. Bucky Hodges TE

195. Robert Davis WR

Well, then, thank God you weren't the GM.