Beane hired as GM

Yeah I think it's pretty clear McDermott is modeling the Bills after Andy Reid and his philosophies.

I get wanting to see a more extensive GM search. I can't say I wouldn't have liked to see that.

But there's a lot worse coaches to model things after.... I'll be pretty damn happy if McDermott and Beane turn out to be anything like Reid and Dorsey in KC.

I sure like it better than the jumbled mess of crap that has been the Bills front office and coaching staff the last decade +

At least we seem to have a clear plan now, and it's brought about a lot of meaningful change at One Bills Drive. Ralph's old boy's club lifers are almost all gone now. Only what, 2 left? And I think - is on his way out the door momentarily, and the other I ink has been more/less neutered, so...

Andy Reid schooled the new HC on the day of the draft by making a deal with the younger fellow to get a qb on draft day. The older and heavier HC showed by his aggressive actions how important it is to get a good qb prospect in the fold sooner rather than later.

When all is said and done getting McDermott and Beane hired and working together in the organization is an upgrade from a variety of standpoints. One of the biggest positive outcomes is that there is now a great degree of coherency and unity throughout the football operation. The HC and the GM and their respective staffs will be working in tandem instead of tugging against one another. That is a fundamental change that hasn't existed for a long time.

Sometimes the process of reorganizing an organization gets messy drawing warranted criticisms. Hiring a HC before getting a GM very often causes problems. In addition, empowering a first time HC to the extent that he is now empowered is also something to be wary of. But all these issues are mitigated because both of the new hires have been close associates and both seem to share the same philosophies about how to run an organization and build a roster.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andy Reid schooled the new HC on the day of the draft by making a deal with the younger fellow to get a qb on draft day. The older and heavier HC showed by his aggressive actions how important it is to get a good qb prospect in the fold sooner rather than later.

When all is said and done getting McDermott and Beane hired and working together in the organization is an upgrade from a variety of standpoints. One of the biggest positive outcomes is that there is now a great degree of coherency and unity throughout the football operation. The HC and the GM and their respective staffs will be working in tandem instead of tugging against one another. That is a fundamental change that hasn't existed for a long time.

Sometimes the process of reorganizing an organization gets messy drawing warranted criticisms. Hiring a HC before getting a GM very often causes problems. In addition, empowering a first time HC to the extent that he is now empowered is also something to be wary of. But all these issues are mitigated because both of the new hires have been close associates and both seem to share the same philosophies about how to run an organization and build a roster.

How often does trading up for a QB work in the nfl?

Yeah...unless Mahommes sucks and the our 1st round corner and our 1st round pick next year are studs

Dont forget...it is NOT a forgone conclusion that Mahommes will even be good in the NFL

I agree with mostly everything you said, except the bolded statement.

Andy Reid and John Dorsey were both hired in KC back in Jan. 2013 and they did not draft a serious QB prospect until their 5th year/draft with the team. This is the first time they took a 1st round QB. They have only taken 1 QB besides Mahomes in that entire time (Aaron Murray in the 5th round, 163rd overall back in 2014).

So it seems to me that took their sweet time getting a good QB prospect in the fold. They built the rest of the team up over the previous 4 years first.

Really? How so?

I was kind of referring to how Andy Reid got hired in KC and asked for a specific GM to be hired to work with him and McDermott did the same in Buffalo.

But you can clearly see how big of an influence Andy Reid has had on Sean McDermott in almost everything he's said and done...

Andy Reid disciples and ties are all over this coaching staff, obviously starting with McDermott (who has said multiple times that Reid was his biggest influence).

Leslie Frazier, another Reid protege from his coaching tree.

Juan Castillo, who worked with Andy Reid for 17 years (1995-2012)

David Cully is another long time Andy Reid guy - worked with Reid from 1999 to 2017. Was his assistant head coach his entire time in KC.

Chad Hall played for Andy Reid.

Gill Byrd worked for Dirk Koetter, who's a long time friend of Andy Reid. They came up through the college ranks together going all the way back to SF state and Missouri (and Byrd was rumored to be recommended by Reid).

McDermott's (reported) first choice for OC (and reportedly the first offensive coordinator McDermott went after) was Brad Childress, another Andy Reid protege and current KC Chiefs coach.

He then hired Rick Dennison, who runs a west coast style of offense like Andy Reid (and IIRC who Reid was rumored to suggest to McDermott).

Then as far as his coaching, managerial and team building philosophies - you can see Andy Reid's fingerprints all over that too.

How McDermott takes notes on everything - practices, games, scheduling, every conversation with other coaches, ex players, etc. (that's an Andy Reid trade mark). His extreme attention to detail, and going over every possible scenario (another Reid trade mark). The one voice, everyone in unison stuff. The emphasis he puts on team first, and the team building exercises he believes in. How he believes coaching is all about relationships (with players and fellow coaches). How the main emphasis of the coaching staff he's assembled was on finding coaches who are very good teachers first and foremost. How they want to focus on details and execution. How McDermott said he wants to emphasize controlling the line of scrimmage and build strong offensive and defensive lines (and hired 2 of the best line coaches in the NFL).

I could keep going on and on about the similarities but I've already typed a book. you get the point, if you've even read this far... lol.

I was kind of referring to how Andy Reid got hired in KC and asked for a specific GM to be hired to work with him and McDermott did the same in Buffalo.

But you can clearly see how big of an influence Andy Reid has had on Sean McDermott in almost everything he's said and done...

Andy Reid disciples and ties are all over this coaching staff, obviously starting with McDermott (who has said multiple times that Reid was his biggest influence).

David Cully is another long time Andy Reid guy - worked with Reid from 1999 to 2017. Was his assistant head coach his entire time in KC.

Gill Byrd worked for Dirk Koetter, who's a long time friend of Andy Reid. They came up through the college ranks together going all the way back to SF state and Missouri (and Byrd was rumored to be recommended by Reid).

McDermott's (reported) first choice for OC (and reportedly the first offensive coordinator McDermott went after) was Brad Childress, another Andy Reid protege and current KC Chiefs coach.

He then hired Rick Dennison, who runs a west coast style of offense like Andy Reid (and IIRC who Reid was rumored to suggest to McDermott).

Then as far as his coaching, managerial and team building philosophies - you can see Andy Reid's fingerprints all over that too.

How McDermott takes notes on everything - practices, games, scheduling, every conversation with other coaches, ex players, etc. (that's an Andy Reid trade mark). His extreme attention to detail, and going over every possible scenario (another Reid trade mark). The one voice, everyone in unison stuff. The emphasis he puts on team first, and the team building exercises he believes in. How he believes coaching is all about relationships (with players and fellow coaches). How the main emphasis of the coaching staff he's assembled was on finding coaches who are very good teachers first and foremost. How they want to focus on details and execution. How McDermott said he wants to emphasize controlling the line of scrimmage and build strong offensive and defensive lines (and hired 2 of the best line coaches in the NFL).

I could keep going on and on about the similarities but I've already typed a book. you get the point, if you've even read this far... lol.

Damn fine posting!

good job!

I think the fans and media are overselling the same page crap with Beane and McDermott.

Let's see how tight they are when they go 6-10 next year and they need a QB still.

Whaley said him and Rex had the same philosophy as to building a football team, to the point of finishing each other's sentences.

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

I think the fans and media are overselling the same page crap with Beane and McDermott.

Let's see how tight they are when they go 6-10 next year and they need a QB still.

Whaley said him and Rex had the same philosophy as to building a football team, to the point of finishing each other's sentences.

of course we can't predict the future, but I wouldn't use the Whaley/Rex comparison to make your point. They probably thought they did share a common vision upfront, but they had never worked together. Once they did, they realized things werent as they thought. Beane and McD actually already have worked together toward a common team building vision, for 6 years.

Albert Breer suggests the Bills look to be following the New Orleans model

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/05/11/indianapolis-colts-andrew-luck-chris-ballard-nfl-notebook

I actually think this makes a lot of sense. Loomis is a numbers guy, not a football guy. His background is in accounting. I wonder if Beane will have a role with the Sabres like Loomis does with the Pelicans?

of course we can't predict the future, but I wouldn't use the Whaley/Rex comparison to make your point. They probably thought they did share a common vision upfront, but they had never worked together. Once they did, they realized things werent as they thought. Beane and McD actually already have worked together toward a common team building vision, for 6 years.

Ok, but McDermott was the Defensive Coordinator, not in the FO constructing the Draft Board, or structuring contracts, or on the phone working trades.

I just think this kumbaya with Beane and McDermott is a bit overstated. You got Chris Brown hamming it up with Howard and Jeremy this morning, saying the same things he said about Marv and Dick Jauron, how close they are, the same vision. Wasn't Marrone supposed to revolutionize Buffalo to with his forward thinking, analytical, aggressive approach?

Like they think the exact same and because of that synergy, winning is right around the corner. I just don't buy any of that. I doubt just because Beane got to Carolina in 1998 and worked his way to the top, and McDermott got there in 2011 that they have the same philosophy about life and what it takes to win in the NFL.

I think this line about same philosophy is the same as you can't judge a Draft until 3 years later. Like it just gets repeated until every analyst is parroting the line.

Yeah...unless Mahommes sucks and the our 1st round corner and our 1st round pick next year are studs

Dont forget...it is NOT a forgone conclusion that Mahommes will even be good in the NFL

It's not a forgone conclusion that any qb is going to be good and it's not a forgone conclusion that any positional player going to be good. If your argument is then we should avoid taking a qb with a high pick then it is a formula that this organization has followed for a long time. Where has it gotten us?

You are making a big assumption that the Bills will be using a first round pick on a qb next year. No one now knows that for sure. And even if the organization was determined to use a first round pick on a qb it doesn't know who will be available when its turn comes up.

KC successful made the deal to move up to get the qb. It was reported that the Giants and the Saints attempted to move up to acquire him but couldn't get a deal done. That tells you that other organizations also had a high rating on him.

The success of the pairing rests on Beane's ability to have a football vision and sell Sean on it.

I see Sean as another defensive coordinator coach who lacks the ability to see the big picture and is going to try Jauron his way to wins with a bend but don't break defense.

Does Beane have a vision? Can he sell it to Sean?

I eagerly await the Beane press conference.

The success of the pairing rests on Beane's ability to have a football vision and sell Sean on it.

I see Sean as another defensive coordinator coach who lacks the ability to see the big picture and is going to try Jauron his way to wins with a bend but don't break defense.

Does Beane have a vision? Can he sell it to Sean?

I eagerly await the Beane press conference.

Based upon your review of his career as a head coach? Jesus, man.

Based upon your review of his career as a head coach? Jesus, man.

Based upon every key decision he has made since he has been here. The only hope for this pair rests in Beane having a bigger vision and convincing Sean to broaden his horizons.

Edited by jeffismagic