Russ Brandon - keep him or fire him?

Russ Brandon - keep him or fire him?  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Russ Brandon - keep him or fire him?

• Keep him
    • Fire him

President/Managing Partner Pegula Sports and Entertainment, President of the Buffalo Bills, Buffalo Sabres, Buffalo Bandits, and Rochester Amerks.

What does he do on a daily basis? Don't know for sure. I assume based on knowing other top line executives strategic planning, closing big deals, setting overall goals and agenda, and holding direct reports accountable are big parts of it. But it's a lot more than just marketing the Bills, and someone in a position like that is not easily replaced. Despite what some would have you believe.

Oldy"

I'd say read post #143 in this tread......this guy pretty much nailed it IMO......

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to be a complete idiot to think Brandon is a problem with any of the teams he's affiliated with.

However, I'm all for firing him just so these stupid threads and moronic WGR callers will go away.

You have to be a complete idiot to think Brandon is a problem with any of the teams he's affiliated with.

However, I'm all for firing him just so these stupid threads and moronic WGR callers will go away.

the callers won't go away. The calls are still coming in about Chad Kelly. I thought they would stop if he was drafted elsewhere but noooo

the callers won't go away. The calls are still coming in about Chad Kelly. I thought they would stop if he was drafted elsewhere but noooo

Brother, you are so right. I actually heard someone complain today that McDermott and Beane, if hired, is a bad idea because they would get along.

If Terry wants to keep Russ around fine. But only as a marketing guy. Do not allow him within 100 miles of a football decision ever again.

Someone who is President/Managing Partner of PSE and President of 4 teams is more than a marketing guy. Why do so many fail to accept that?

So what you're saying is he no longer is involved with football. Which is what I said. which I what the owners have said. And which is what Russ has said.

There are not a lot of people with the expertise to run a large sports enterprise and oversee four different teams. And I'll say again, if the Pegulas see him failing in his actual job (and not what people around here want to continue to insist is his job), then they'll make a change. Recall that Terry's hand picked guy he brought in with him when they bought the Sabres was Ted Black. And when Terry decided he had to go, he let him go. And for whom? Russ Brandon.

No, that's exactly what I'm NOT saying. I'm saying that Brandon's job description indicates that he only should be doing things other than football operations, but that he has continued to influence football decisions. Whether or not he would be successful in doing the latter in the future is a moot point. Whether or not he's doing well at his non-football operations job is moot. The reason he needs to be fired is because despite being removed from football operations he has continued to attempt to influence them. I hope that was clearer.

No, that's exactly what I'm NOT saying. I'm saying that Brandon's job description indicates that he only should be doing things other than football operations, but that he has continued to influence football decisions. Whether or not he would be successful in doing the latter in the future is a moot point. Whether or not he's doing well at his non-football operations job is moot. The reason he needs to be fired is because despite being removed from football operations he has continued to attempt to influence them. I hope that was clearer.

How? Fact instead of innuendo please.

How? Fact instead of innuendo please.

I have given this board my inside sources of my friend who has had very close dealings with Pegs & he tells me Brandon's finger prints are all over the football decisions in the last 10 + years. Now you don't have to believe it or not but my friend really has no reason to lie. He also said Brandon has sold out so many people in both organizations to save his own skin since Pegs has took over that it is actually disgusting. Pegs was actually ready to fire him when he first took over. Brandon allowed good people, loyal people to take the fall in order for his job to be saved. He actually went as far as saying he was the main guy to influence Pegs on getting rid of his longtime friend Ted Black because he didn't like their close relationship & how Black had such close access to Pegs. Yeah old Rusty is a real saint. & I got news for everybody, the NFL sells itself. You don't need Rusty around to head up the marketing team.

I have given this board my inside sources of my friend who has had very close dealings with Pegs & he tells me Brandon's finger prints are all over the football decisions in the last 10 + years. Now you don't have to believe it or not but my friend really has no reason to lie. He also said Brandon has sold out so many people in both organizations to save his own skin since Pegs has took over that it is actually disgusting. Pegs was actually ready to fire him when he first took over. Brandon allowed good people, loyal people to take the fall in order for his job to be saved. He actually went as far as saying he was the main guy to influence Pegs on getting rid of his longtime friend Ted Black because he didn't like their close relationship & how Black had such close access to Pegs. Yeah old Rusty is a real saint. & I got news for everybody, the NFL sells itself. You don't need Rusty around to head up the marketing team.

Yeah - the marketing argument is ridiculous. His "marketing" is the reason we've brought in guys like TO, and Rex Ryan.

If your friend is correct that would be sufficient cause for me. As for him just being a marketing guy, the President of a sports organization plus four teams is far more than a marketing guy, and why people fail to understand that is a mystery to me.

One thing I think we've learned about the Pegulas is that it takes a certain type of person to stick around with them for any length of time.

Terry can go from being in tears simply from the honor of being in your presence (Pat L) to having an ugly breakup in short order. Whatever happened with Ted Black is another case in point. Terry also loved Rex and was the guy that essentially hired him (with the encouragement of Russ).

In short, Russ is very good at the politics part of business, which is actually a very important part to be good at when you are selling luxury boxes, signing sponsorship deals, and getting businesses to invest money in your teams. Lots of guys are good with money, but not everyone can schmooze (and I don't say that in a negative way). Lots of guys are not good at it or do not like doing it. Russ is amazing at it and so he more than earns his keep in the organization. I'm sure the Pegulas have their eyes wide open about his influence on the football team but have decided that he brings a lot to the table and steps can be taken to curb his influence over football.

One this is for sure: it sounds like McDermott is going to be making the football calls, and maybe that is part of the solution.

i've been saying it for awhile now

i think Russ will get fired in 2018

he is most responsible for the bad hires (rex, whaley) that are making the pegula's look bad.

he is also most likely the source of leaks to the press (carrucci & lacanfora).

the Pegula's have their feet on the ground now and no longer need Russ. I look for them to bring in one of their own to replace him.

If your friend is correct that would be sufficient cause for me. As for him just being a marketing guy, the President of a sports organization plus four teams is far more than a marketing guy, and why people fail to understand that is a mystery to me.

I think people jump to "Marketing" because it is probably the #1 defense of Brandon that is used. "He is just a marketing guy", "he is a marketing genius". It kind of compartmentalizes the discussion. The fact is, he hasn't been director of marketing since like 2005.

I know with certainty that he was very involved in football decisions, pretty much since Donahoe left. Now though, with Pegula as owner, and with Whaley out of the picture, and with his new role(s) it is diminished. Part of the reason though, is Pegula wants to be the guy who plays with the toys in the tub... which ultimately gets us to the same place. I still suspect there is baggage with Brandon and the front office, and that Pegula leans on him for counsel.... which I do not like. I would trust almost anyone else in the world to counsel t-pegs. Also, the fans carry a pretty widespread, and in many cases extreme distrust of the man. Whether it is warranted or not... it should carry some weight.

So for now, I believe Brandon is somewhat minimized on the football side. However, I still believe Pegula needs a president of the football side to build from the top-down. No more counsel from Brandon, and Pegula's own decisions should be made, only with a lot of guidance from an experienced football exec. Maybe we struck it rich with McDermott and him bringing in his buddy from Carolina will provide strong leadership on the football side, we get a franchise QB next season, and we can start to talk seriously about NFL competition. If not though.... I really hope the Pegulas consider bringing in a 'power broker' to fix things.

I think people jump to "Marketing" because it is probably the #1 defense of Brandon that is used. "He is just a marketing guy", "he is a marketing genius". It kind of compartmentalizes the discussion. The fact is, he hasn't been director of marketing since like 2005.

I know with certainty that he was very involved in football decisions, pretty much since Donahoe left. Now though, with Pegula as owner, and with Whaley out of the picture, and with his new role(s) it is diminished. Part of the reason though, is Pegula wants to be the guy who plays with the toys in the tub... which ultimately gets us to the same place. I still suspect there is baggage with Brandon and the front office, and that Pegula leans on him for counsel.... which I do not like. I would trust almost anyone else in the world to counsel t-pegs. Also, the fans carry a pretty widespread, and in many cases extreme distrust of the man. Whether it is warranted or not... it should carry some weight.

So for now, I believe Brandon is somewhat minimized on the football side. However, I still believe Pegula needs a president of the football side to build from the top-down. No more counsel from Brandon, and Pegula's own decisions should be made, only with a lot of guidance from an experienced football exec. Maybe we struck it rich with McDermott and him bringing in his buddy from Carolina will provide strong leadership on the football side, we get a franchise QB next season, and we can start to talk seriously about NFL competition. If not though.... I really hope the Pegulas consider bringing in a 'power broker' to fix things.

The fans feeling on a team president should carry absolutely no weight. How well he does his actual job should be the determining factor.

The fans feeling on a team president should carry absolutely no weight. How well he does his actual job should be the determining factor.

I disagree on the first part. Fans' perception, ultimately can have an effect on the job performance.

With the Bills fans, there is no breaking point. Tickets are cheap, it is only 8 dates or less per year, and the game, often can be secondary to the peripheral activities people participate in.

Sabres fans though, are close to the breaking point, overall. Perception of the team and direction are going to start to be a factor soon, and many Sabres fans are discouraged that the Bills' leader has been put in charge of the Sabres too. Paired with perpetual losing, and the feeling of dysfunction that plagues the Bills, Sabres fans are going to stop buying tickets. If the waiting list isn't tapped this season, it will only take one more season. Tickets are quite expensive, and 41 games is a big commitment, especially with a weak secondary 'market'. Games are dull and over the years, the Sabres have gotten lazy on that and many other aspects. The last straw for me was the team giving out $0.10 "One Buffalo" sunglasses for fan "appreciation" day. It was literally 'insulting' and people around me felt the same way and there was buzz about it (and people were naming Russ Brandon as the culprit). I am waiting for the invoice this Spring. If there is a ticket increase, my 18 year account will be gone. I liked Ted Black. I met with him in a really cool round table he organized with different STH every home game. He introduced us to his family, and Elliott Friedman was there and was really impressed with the Sabres' outreach (and wrote about it). I emailed concerns back and forth which he graciously humored me. He took suggestions and I saw tangible improvements around the arena. He cried when the Sabres let him go. I thought he was amazing from a fans' standpoint. With Russ Brandon, I have a perception of my 'no frills' benefits of being a Bills STH.

Edited by May Day 10

Wow. I didn't like Brandon much before I read this, and l like him even less now.