Russ Brandon - keep him or fire him?

Russ Brandon - keep him or fire him?  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Russ Brandon - keep him or fire him?

• Keep him
    • Fire him

Who was the one who made McDermott's name "jump out" for the Pegulas? Was it the same person that told them to get Rex Ryan?

Let the record also show that, as Pegula was careful to explain Sunday, Whaley "wasnt the only person involved in hiring the new head coach. It was Kim and I and a lot of input from other places."

One of those places was the NFL's Personnel Development Committee, which includes former Bills GM and Hall-of-Famer Bill Polian. Polian, fellow Hall-of-Famers Ron Wolf, Tony Dungy, John Madden and other committee members submitted a list of candidates that was distributed to all of the owners of teams searching for a new coach. McDermott's name jumped out at the Pegulas and they promptly made him the first of four candidates they would interview.

It was notable that, the day before the "formal" interview that would include Whaley and former director of player personnel Jim Monos, the Pegulas invited McDermott to join them for dinner on their yacht in Boca Raton, Fla.

He had the Pegulas at "hello."

http://buffalonews.com/2017/05/01/vic-caruccis-bills-wake-call-new-gm-wont-change-structure/

I have said I would have like the more traditional approach, as in firing Whaley/Rex on the same day and then finding a GM first. That didn't happen. I have also mentioned that one on one dinner and how much we may hear about it if things go sour with McDinner guest. As of now he has the Pegula's trust and the only thing they could do was allow him to hire Beane. They backed themselves into that corner, not me. I hope it works out. The GM/Coach will now be a unified voice and that hurts anyone with outside influence on football matters, including the Pegula's. Even if it's a round table of decision makers taking a popular vote the coach and GM will win more than they lose.

I'm also under the belief that they have been taking advice from someone outside the organization entirely, I'm a betting man and my money is surely on Polian. I wanted Whaley gone and it looks like JO might be the next lifer that is removed from a position of power..all of this is an improvement in my eyes. Some of it is simply that it couldn't be worse, they needed to shake things up.

In short nothing was working and there was no long term plan in place to win at a high level. The Pegula's took out the order of operations manual and pressed the reset button, even if they read the manual backwards (which I believe they did), it's still a step in the right direction and something to be excited about.

I have wanted player accountability, McDinner brings that amongst a bunch of other traits that lead me to believe he has a chance at success. Let's goooo!

Edited by Commonsense

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have said I would have like the more traditional approach, as in firing Whaley/Rex on the same day and then finding a GM first. That didn't happen. I have also mentioned that one on one dinner and how much we may hear about it if things go sour with McDinner guest. As of now he has the Pegula's trust and the only thing they could do was allow him to hire Beane. They backed themselves into that corner, not me. I hope it works out. The GM/Coach will now be a unified voice and that hurts anyone with outside influence on football matters, including the Pegula's. Even if it's a round table of decision makers taking a popular vote the coach and GM will win more than they lose.

I'm also under the belief that they have been taking advice from someone outside the organization entirely, I'm a betting man and my money is surely on Polian. I wanted Whaley gone and it looks like JO might me the next lifer that is removed from a position of power..all of this is an improvement in my eyes. Some of it is simply that it couldn't be worse, they needed to shake things up.

In short nothing was working and there was no long term plan in place to win at a high level. The Pegula's took out the order of operations manual and pressed the reset button, even if they read the manual backwards (which I believe they did), it's still a step in the right direction and something to be excited about.

I have wanted player accountability, McDinner brings that amongst a bunch of other traits that lead me to believe he has a chance at success. Let's goooo!

I am all for accountability. Which is why when the last crucial choice was made for head coach, the Pegulas ignored the football people and listened to Russ Brandon. Whaley told them to keep the defense and to hire an offensive coach. Whaley was right, Brandon was wrong. Whaley was fired and Brandon remains. If Whaley had been listened to I believe the Bills make the playoffs in at least one of the 2015 or 2016 years, if not both.

Now Brandon has a a new guy to market. Sean. Pegulas need to start listening to football people and start conducting real coaching and GM searches in the future. Buffalo fans should not accept anything less.

Edited by jeffismagic

I am all for accountability. Which is why when the last crucial choice was made for head coach, the Pegulas ignored the football people and listened to Russ Brandon. Whaley told them to keep the defense and to hire an offensive coach. Whaley was right, Brandon was wrong. Whaley was fired and Brandon remains. If Whaley had been listened to I believe the Bills make the playoffs in at least one of the 2015 or 2016 years, if not both.

Now Brandon has a a new guy to market. Sean. Pegulas need to start listening to football people and start conducting real coaching and GM searches in the future. Buffalo fans should not accept anything less.

The NFL Advisory committee advised them and had McD on their short list. They classify as real football people.

Nice try.

The NFL Advisory committee advised them and had McD on their short list. They classify as real football people.

Nice try.

I don't think you understand what the committee does or the purpose it serves. They simply provide a list of people. They don't tell teams who to hire. That list is what is known as a the good old boys network.

What happened from getting that list to making McDermott the one? Why was McDermott getting talked to on a yacht without the football people present? Why was he the first interview? Someone was giving advice to the Pegulas but it was not the committee.

Whatever influence Brandon has/had was hurt yesterday when McD further bolstered his position by bringing in Beane who on the surface looks like his right hand man and nothing more. That's a good thing no matter what, right? At least McD and Beane are football guys as opposed to Brandon.

I'm not going to debate Hue Jackson vs. Rex and all that. It's missed time and they ruined a little window where they could have won 10 games? Sorry I'm not that excited about the potential of a 10 win season with Kyle Orton at QB.

Whaley had more than enough chances to demonstrate a long term strategy and even today I beg someone to illustrate just wtf he was doing. I don't expect immediate results in the win column but they have already taken some steps to clean up the mess. Get through this year, address the QB position, find some modern day linebackers, keep these guys in the playbook and off the pool table...lets just see where it ends up.

I don't think you understand what the committee does or the purpose it serves. They simply provide a list of people. They don't tell teams who to hire. That list is what is known as a the good old boys network.

What happened from getting that list to making McDermott the one? Why was McDermott getting talked to on a yacht without the football people present? Why was he the first interview? Someone was giving advice to the Pegulas but it was not the committee.

I understand exactly what that committe does and we talked to several of the candidates they recommended.

Whatever influence Brandon has/had was hurt yesterday when McD further bolstered his position by bringing in Beane who on the surface looks like his right hand man and nothing more. That's a good thing no matter what, right? At least McD and Beane are football guys as opposed to Brandon.

I'm not going to debate Hue Jackson vs. Rex and all that. It's missed time and they ruined a little window where they could have won 10 games? Sorry I'm not that excited about the potential of a 10 win season with Kyle Orton at QB.

Whaley had more than enough chances to demonstrate a long term strategy and even today I beg someone to illustrate just wtf he was doing. I don't expect immediate results in the win column but they have already taken some steps to clean up the mess. Get through this year, address the QB position, find some modern day linebackers, keep these guys in the playbook and off the pool table...lets just see where it ends up.

You're assuming that Russ Brandon wasn't the main adviser who wanted McDermott.

You're assuming that Russ Brandon wasn't the main adviser who wanted McDermott.

I said weeks ago once the Whaley rumors surfaced again that I thought the Pegula's were taking advice from someone outside of OBD. We can both speculate who was giving the advice, that won't prove anything unless we get more details. McD's dinner date is Rex Ryan's red bottle of wine and you're relating them both back to Brandon. Let's say it went down the same way with McD...

Now McD gets a recommendation from Brandon, the Pegula's once again take the same advice that steered them so far of course on Rex...following? So the Pegula's are total fools? Then they fall in love with McD and empower him to run the organization and even go as far as letting him hand pick his own GM...

I'm not buying the Brandon piece but if what you want to believe is true, then you should also admit Brandon shot himself in the foot with the McD recommendation.

I said weeks ago once the Whaley rumors surfaced again that I thought the Pegula's were taking advice from someone outside of OBD. We can both speculate who was giving the advice, that won't prove anything unless we get more details. McD's dinner date is Rex Ryan's red bottle of wine and you're relating them both back to Brandon. Let's say it went down the same way with McD...

Now McD gets a recommendation from Brandon, the Pegula's once again take the same advice that steered them so far of course on Rex...following? So the Pegula's are total fools? Then they fall in love with McD and empower him to run the organization and even go as far as letting him hand pick his own GM...

I'm not buying the Brandon piece but if what you want to believe is true, then you should also admit Brandon shot himself in the foot with the McD recommendation.

I think you are on to something here. I struggled with motive for a while. But I have learned when in doubt, follow the money.

Was Rex a failure? For us the fans it was. Was it so bad for the Pegulas? Did they not make great money? Did Brandon not hit his metrics?

You do not understand his job. As President of PSE and 4 teams his job is vastly more complex than what you want to admit. I am not sure what opinions he may be asked for but you cannot on the one hand say he should not be able articipating in football decisions then say he should be fired because his opinions on football issues are worthless.

Yours is just more irrational ranting about the guy.

I don't think I have been ranting or irrational, but that is simply my opinion, you are entitled to yours.

And you fail to understand the dynamic that I have tried to explain. As you stated, Presidents of football teams will be asked for input on football decisions. While Russ no longer has the ability to make decisions he would still have the ability to sway a decision if the decision makers (McD and Beane) were on the fence about things. Which is why I would prefer not to have a President that has the track record of Russ Brandon and would support his firing.

I understand that Pegula has chosen not to fire Russ and therefore advocate for Russ to not even have a voice in any football or hockey decision. So I am not trying to have it both ways...

And like I also stated, my opinion and the opinion of the disgruntled fans means nothing. Pegula has made his mind up and all we can do is hope he has made the correct decisions.

I don't think I have been ranting or irrational, but that is simply my opinion, you are entitled to yours.

And you fail to understand the dynamic that I have tried to explain. As you stated, Presidents of football teams will be asked for input on football decisions. While Russ no longer has the ability to make decisions he would still have the ability to sway a decision if the decision makers (McD and Beane) were on the fence about things. Which is why I would prefer not to have a President that has the track record of Russ Brandon and would support his firing.

I understand that Pegula has chosen not to fire Russ and therefore advocate for Russ to not even have a voice in any football or hockey decision. So I am not trying to have it both ways...

And like I also stated, my opinion and the opinion of the disgruntled fans means nothing. Pegula has made his mind up and all we can do is hope he has made the correct decisions.

I agree with your last paragraph.

This is MUCH different than the Bills' M.O. since Donahoe.

McDermott wants to be a HOF head coach. He isn't going to stake his career and reputation in a situation that allows for Russ Brandon to tell him who is on the roster, trade returns, and whatnot. Buddy Nix, Whaley, Levy, Jauron, even Rex Ryan couldnt care less. Marrone is/was the wild card. I believe he drew the line and demanded what McDermott has.

Beane, I dont know much about. But he seems young and hungry, and here to work in cohesion with McDermott. Beane, from the outside is a far cry from the 3-ring-circus 'hires' the Bills have tried to bamboozle the fans with in the past. Buddy Nix.... haha.

This version of reality is nearly a complete 180 of the actual events.

Have you applied for that news gig in North Korea yet?

This is MUCH different than the Bills' M.O. since Donahoe.

McDermott wants to be a HOF head coach. He isn't going to stake his career and reputation in a situation that allows for Russ Brandon to tell him who is on the roster, trade returns, and whatnot. Buddy Nix, Whaley, Levy, Jauron, even Rex Ryan couldnt care less. Marrone is/was the wild card. I believe he drew the line and demanded what McDermott has.

Beane, I dont know much about. But he seems young and hungry, and here to work in cohesion with McDermott. Beane, from the outside is a far cry from the 3-ring-circus 'hires' the Bills have tried to bamboozle the fans with in the past. Buddy Nix.... haha.

I like your perspective on Coach

you fire him proactively because you just know he's going to sabotage McD and Beane

HA! Why on earth would he try to.................???????????

What that an attempt at humor?

If you look at the Buffalo Bills website it will tell you what the job titles are of the executives. Brent Rossi is the Executive VP for Marketing for the Buffalo Bills.

If you don't even understand what Russ Brandon's actual job is, it 's a bit absurd to be critical of the job he does.

Well, Brandon has been the public face of the Bills for most of this century. He was even GM for a time. He was publicly the architect of the Toronto fiasco. Even bragged about. He appeared in the press over and over lamenting of how the Bills might have to move if the fans don't buy more tickets.

Not sure what rock you have been living under. But Brandon's role with the team over time has been quite public and fairly well known.

Well, Brandon has been the public face of the Bills for most of this century. He was even GM for a time. He was publicly the architect of the Toronto fiasco. Even bragged about. He appeared in the press over and over lamenting of how the Bills might have to move if the fans don't buy more tickets.

Not sure what rock you have been living under. But Brandon's role with the team over time has been quite public and fairly well known.

I am well aware of history. His role has changed and people refuse to accept it. People keep saying he's just a marketing guy when there is anExev VP of Marketing. It is the people who refuse to understand his actual job that live under a rock.