Russ Brandon - keep him or fire him?

Russ Brandon - keep him or fire him?  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Russ Brandon - keep him or fire him?

• Keep him
    • Fire him

I am well aware of history. His role has changed and people refuse to accept it. People keep saying he's just a marketing guy when there is anExev VP of Marketing. It is the people who refuse to understand his actual job that live under a rock.

He may not have the authority to make those types of decisions anymore, but it doesn't mean that his bad advice on football matters won't be taken into consideration.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He may not have the authority to make those types of decisions anymore, but it doesn't mean that his bad advice on football matters won't be taken into consideration.

If he is not making the decisions, that is what matters. I oftentimes in my position have to make decisions and sometimes bounce ideas off my physician VP, who has no idea how to do what I do. Sometimes getting outside input is helpful.

Again you are making assumptions about what he does or does not do.

Don't really know what his job is but if he is purely a marketing man ,he is doing a decent job,but if he is making football or hockey decisions it's time to go .

I would think he is not making any decisions on his own, but that does not mean he can't give some advice on these matters, and that advice would more than likely be bad advice. This is why I don't want him around. I hope Overdorf is gone soon, also.

Don't really know what his job is but if he is purely a marketing man ,he is doing a decent job,but if he is making football or hockey decisions it's time to go .

I think this post encapsulates the continual errors people make in the entire Russ thing.

First of all, he is not just strictly a marketing guy. He is President and Managing Partner for PSE and President of the 4 teams owned by the Pegulas. The Bills and Sabres have an Executive VP for Marketing, Brent Rossi. Anyone who works for any company of any reasonable size should know that the President of the company is involved in far more than just marketing. Yet people continue to say all he does is marketing.

As for him having say in football or hockey decisions, the owners and Brandon have said he is not involved in football related decisions. Was he in the past? Yes. Was that under another owner? Yes. Is that now? No. Is being asked to weigh in on things different than making decisions? Yes, and you can refer to my post above for an explanation on that. Is he involved in decision making for the Sabres? There was absolutely nothing said ever about him doing so while Murray was GM. There is one article suggesting (suggesting, not knowing definitively but suggesting) he may have been coordinating the current GM search and from that people now surmise he is making all hockey decisions. The Pegulas have made it as clear as they can make it that for both teams they want a HC and GM that work in concert, and that they will be making decisions and no one else. But people refuse to accept that for some reason.

I understand the frustration we all have. I really do. But this idea that somehow it is all Brandon's fault, and that if he were to leave all would be rainbows and unicorns, is just silly. Look above at his titles. His job is to bring big things to PSA and by extension to WNY (like the Frozen Four coming up, the amateur hockey tournaments), to work with community leaders on things like stadium renovations and/or new stadium plans. I could have argued for his dismissal 5-10 years ago when he had direct input on the Bills (he did so because he was asked by Ralph and he was loyal to him). But it is 2017, and he should and will be evaluated by the owners for the job duties he has in 2017, not back in 2010. That is what anyone here would ask for from an employer.

Calling for his firing now is simply an emotional reaction from fans who are frustrated and looking for a scapegoat. When you go to a big event in town, or perhaps in several years sit at the new stadium downtown to watch the Bills, remember that it was Brandon involved in putting those kinds of deals together. Because that's part of his job.

The Rochester Americans have been an embarrassment for quite some time, which is an insult to a strong hockey town as Rochester is. Another part of failure that RB is a part of.

Is he responsible for it? No. They need to restructure their scouting and such and that is the GM function. Butt yet again you blame Russ.

It is abundantly clear now that people just want to blame him for everything just because they're looking for a scapegoat.

Is he responsible for it? No. They need to restructure their scouting and such and that is the GM function. Butt yet again you blame Russ.

It is abundantly clear now that people just want to blame him for everything just because they're looking for a scapegoat.

You seem to blame him for nothing, yet he is the one constant in all of these losing organizations.

You seem to blame him for nothing, yet he is the one constant in all of these losing organizations.

You have blinders on and don't actually read when this subject comes up. What I have said I believe in this very thread is people should be held accountable for their job duties. I said that I could see Brandon getting fired back when he was interim GM; he didn't do a good job then. I have also said if he tries to interfere with football decisions in the current structure that would be worth consideration of termination. But you never seem to acknowledge those things.

What is his job right now. That is what matters. Is his job to scout prospects for the Sabres organization so their farm team is good? No it is not. That is the GMs job, and the GM just lost his job. Is is his responsibility for putting players into a defensive scheme for the Bills that causes the D to go backward? No, that is the coach's responsibility and he just lost his job. If Brandon had sole hiring responsibility for suchfolks he would own thoise. But he did not from all I can see.

Brandon's job is to run the business of PSE and oversee the 4 teams as President, focusing on their business activities. Have they done well? Yes they have. Does Buffalo get bigger ticket things now like the Frozen Four, NCAA round 1, big amateur hockey tournaments? Yes they do. Is that part of what the man's job is? Yes it is.

I will say this. If there was a time to make a change and release him, it was when the Pegulas bought the team. But they did not. Instead they moved Brandon into a business role for which he has a lot of experience and expertise. And in that it would seem he's doing a good job. Let me ask you this: if the Pegulas were just to kick him to the curb because some fans think he should be gone, how many people out there have his years experience in the league(s), with the contacts he has built up and so on, that could just walk in and continue to build the PSE brand? I would say very few.

The Rochester Americans have been an embarrassment for quite some time, which is an insult to a strong hockey town as Rochester is. Another part of failure that RB is a part of.

...don't recall seeing him behind the bench.....is this your Bobby the American's luvfest call?.....you seriously need to get new material and sources because he's a bigger joke than Jerry Sullivan....BBMB crap transferred to TBD so noted.....good Lord..............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

...don't recall seeing him behind the bench.....is this your Bobby the American's luvfest call?.....you seriously need to get new material and sources because he's a bigger joke than Jerry Sullivan....BBMB crap transferred to TBD so noted.....good Lord..............

https://www.slideshare.net/englishleap/fundamentals-of-punctuation-marks

Your comments may not seem as silly, if you learn the basics of punctuation.

Keep him.....he is a marketing genius....every year he is able to sell the hope that this is year and their season ticket sales remain high....this guy could sell ocean view property in the desert.

He already has a sales pitch for 2017. Sean The Wrestler screaming stuff and a Bills fan hitting the back of his pickup truck.

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/It-Starts-With-One/0962b3d9-2496-41ba-ac4f-16d22830c2b3

You don't fire people for past mistakes. You fire people to avoid future mistakes. With Brandon not involved in roster decisions, what future mistakes do we solve by firing him? Do any of us truly care if he gives us more bad slogans?

I only care about the product on the field and that product seems to be firmly in the hands of Bean and McD. Brandon's fate is irrelevant to me - and most fans.

I voted to fire him. For two reasons, reason #1 Brandon is reaching 50 an age where most executives peak. surely there is someone younger whose been taking notes that has better ideas or a fresh set of eyes that can be promoted from within. Reason #2, fair or not Brandon is one of the last strings associated with the playoff drought. Ultimately Brandon should be judged on W's not $'s, and I'd say Brandon has done a horrible job of bringing in W's.

Holy Crap - apparently I'm past my peak! I wonder if the owner I work for is looking to replace me with someone younger with "a fresh set of eyes."

If so, it's age discrimination! I can run circles around those young pups!

Sure was transferred. Your posts are living proof of that. Matthews has been on the radio and a sports columnist for over 30 years. He has banned one caller from the show for threats, and I have a feeling it was you.

How do you know Bob talked about the Amerks? You're listening to the show. What is wrong with you?

Sure was transferred. Your posts are living proof of that. Matthews has been on the radio and a sports columnist for over 30 years. He has banned one caller from the show for threats, and I have a feeling it was you.

How do you know Bob talked about the Amerks? You're listening to the show. What is wrong with you?

Bob Matthews is usually drunk when he's on the air.

Mr. Pegula clearly does not want to win. He's just continuing the vast conspiracy started by Ralph to keep the Bills fans down while taking their money. Or something.

The night janitor needs to go as well. The stench of losing is all around him. Especially after he cleans the bathrooms on burrito day.

You said Whaley would never be fired.

Bob Matthews is usually drunk when he's on the air.

That is the most ridiculous statement I have ever heard. I'm sure after 30 years and all of his guests he has on, no one mentions it, right? he sounds sober to me, because he is. Ignorant statement.