Bills Decline 5th Year Option on Sammy Watkins

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really, NFL knows his talent. He will a big contract no matter what.

so if he mails it in in an extremely obvious way, you really think other teams are going to be willing to pay him big money for essentially quitting on his team now?

edit: it's thoughts like this buffalobud420 that make people think you're either trolling or have a brain trauma.

Edited by teef

At first, my reaction was like "REALLY???"

After looking into it, I believe this is the right move.

According to spotrac, $13.3 puts him about WR #5, between Dez/Demaryius and T.Y. That's likely what he'd get on the open market if he blew up next year. If he doesn't do well, he'd likely get an Alshon-type 1 year deal for $9 million. Only downside is if the Bills just can't get a deal done, but they have the franchise tag for that scenario.

Agree 100% (per usual Yolo :beer:)

It's ignoring the assumed risk that anyone takes when guaranteeing an athlete money. His injury and reoccurrence goes right along with what I posted about Jones fractures shortly after the first surgery was announced.

So many mentions comparing him to Julio with his early career injuries and then the Jones fracture. Now people are

going to say this is the smart move? I don't get it.

Maybe I do get it.

It would have been smart if they did extend the 5th year because then what could we say? Hm they are showing faith in their best player and he will reward them by playing hard and not playing it safe so he can make sure he is healthy for his next contract. Then that would have been smart, but of course only if the Bills did it.

They can do no wrong.

True on the first part, guess I'm just not buying the second part.

IF the Bills tag him, I find it hard to believe that he'd sit out a season, or force a trade, rather than re-sign with Buffalo. Just my opinion, of course...

It rarely comes down to sitting out a season. The team eventually realizes it's fate and either releases him or gets a pittance in a trade. This will now happen

And? Dareus had his option picked up, got $100 million before playing his 5th year.

How many guys are you going to pay 100m to? Some team will break the bank for him. Fitzgerald got 126m. Megatron got 113. And this was a few years ago. If you are just trying to sign him to an extension and not fight the entire league for him, he will likely come much cheaper.

No one is surprised, right? Tough decision but the right one. We did exactly what I wanted us to this offseason, we acted as if Sammy will be gone after 2017. Drafted Jones and signed Holmes. Let's see what this group can do.

Never mind. Great move Buffalo.

people are just disagreeing with you because you think sammy will mail it in. that's all. i think most wanted the bills to pick up the option. i did, but i understand why they didn't.

you know...it may not be the case where everyone else is wrong, and you're right. just keep you mind open to learning something new. it's the sole reason why i read these boards.

You got to look at it from Sammys side. He definitely won't resign after being disrespected. So mail it in, so they don't franchise you.

Disrespected? It's a business. He has a job to do. Has he done his job well? Sure. Has he took any sick days off? More than any Bills fan would of liked him to.

He can't get upset at an organization that paid him more than any other WR when he watched MANY games from the sidelines. I can see life without Sammy. Not this year obviously, but he is replaceable is what im saying.

How many guys are you going to pay 100m to? Some team will break the bank for him. Fitzgerald got 126m. Megatron got 113. And this was a few years ago. If you are just trying to sign him to an extension and not fight the entire league for him, he will likely come much cheaper.

What?