How do you view McDermott's role in the GM situation?

Some articles I've read are making it sound like he took the reigns of the bills and booted whaley out of the way in the process. Personally, I feel like he is more caught in the middle of a spat and he is trying to make the best of it.

Am I way lost? Am I looking too into things?

They should let him be a GM/Coach. I'm surprised any one wants to interview for a GM job in which hey have little to no control. I'm also perplexed the Bills are letting a rookie coach make so many decisions. He hasn't won a game as a HC yet he is in total control of the team.

They should let him be a GM/Coach. I'm surprised any one wants to interview for a GM job in which hey have little to no control. I'm also perplexed the Bills are letting a rookie coach make so many decisions. He hasn't won a game as a HC yet he is in total control of the team.

Disturbing especially when you look at the fact that Carolina has had only 2 winning seasons in the last 8 years. I don't know if this guy can even be a HC let alone poaching anymore people from the Panthers. This sounds like Pegula is acting on phone conversations with his buddy Bill Polian.

Don't know if he was caught in the middle of a "spat". It does seem that the writing was on the wall for DW after the season ( his press conference debacle probably cemented that). It appears T Pegs decided to let him and the scouting staff do their job this spring rather than try to scramble for replacements in January. Looks like they served as the providers of data on players, but DW had little influence over the actual selections come draft day. The new GM will be someone who McD can work with and shares a similar vision for the makeup of the team. McD will not have total control, he just did what needed to be done in lieu of a GM. By most accounts on a national basis, he did a credible job.

My concern, like many others, is whether or not a top candidate for GM, which is what we all want and deserve, will want to walk into a situation in which he is knowingly taking a back seat to a HC (it's hard enough to sell the job to begin with after the way things have been up here for the past two decades). Being entirely objective, that's my biggest concern with having McD, or any coach without a legacy of winning, respect and experience, making the final calls--put yourself in the shoes of a potential GM candidate--do you want the current situation with the Bills to be your (first) GM gig?

We probably wind up on the outside looking inside when it comes to the next anointed genius GMs (hopefully, none of this will have any bearing on how well McD will be as the HC--I hope he's the second coming of Vince Lombardi but I don't see any future Paul Browns coming aboard this ship!).

Cuts both ways. If there is a young guy who eats, sleeps, and breathes football 365 days a year, is currently doing heavy lifting underneath someone else who gets the face time, will run into a brick wall for a chance to prove himself as a great talent evaluator, and who hits it off with McD, then the Bills are a great opportunity and that guy is a great fit. Of course, if it's just about hiring dudes that McD knows, then we haven't advanced much past the days of Ralph hiring dudes he knew because, well, he knew 'em.

Don't know if he was caught in the middle of a "spat". It does seem that the writing was on the wall for DW after the season ( his press conference debacle probably cemented that). It appears T Pegs decided to let him and the scouting staff do their job this spring rather than try to scramble for replacements in January. Looks like they served as the providers of data on players, but DW had little influence over the actual selections come draft day. The new GM will be someone who McD can work with and shares a similar vision for the makeup of the team. McD will not have total control, he just did what needed to be done in lieu of a GM. By most accounts on a national basis, he did a credible job.

This is my guess as well.

I think that when McDermott was hired Whaley was told to report to him. I'd be surprised if Beane isn't named the new GM.

I'm curious on Russ Brandon's role?

I think this might have had more to do with the ousting than McDermott. I doubt Russ made the decision but I think he had some involvement. Whaley was on the way out before McDermott was hired imo. There were rumblings about Whaley having little to no say in the new coaching search. I think this thorough restructuring of personnel is Pegula's doing as opposed to McDerm.

I view McDermott as the guy running the show now. Any GM they hire will be under the coach. Basically another Whaley, a glorified head scout and order taker. At the very least we know who gets the credit (or blame) from 2017 on.

Is it a good idea? Considering the muddled collaborative arrangement we had before, why not try it this way?

To be completely honest, I believe it should be the coach who makes the player decisions. Let the GM negotiate the contracts and bring trade proposals up to the coach, but the coach should have final say in who gets signed, released or traded.

Just my opinion.

I am a fan of McDermott so far.

To the crowd that says "he's never been a head coach", "he came out of nowhere", "the panthers haven't even been that good"...I say this, the Eagles had him as their first choice to be HC after Chip Kelly, but the Panthers kept winning in the playoffs, and the Eagles couldn't wait so they went for their next choice. McDermott has a lot of respect around the league for not only his knowledge of the game, but for the way he carries himself and is viewed by players/FO alike.

There is a lot to like here. Would I have given him total control of the football operations with so little experience at the top? Probably not. However, that is the situation we find ourselves in and must role with it. Likely we will be bringing in a GM he is very familiar with, and more importantly, is very familiar with him and his style/how he operates so they would already share the same vision. Whoever becomes the GM will do so knowing full well that McD is going to have a large part in the shots being called within the football ops (for better or worse). We are riding this McD train, all aboard.

If McD has all the power, so be it as long it gets us to where we want to be. He's going to need a lot of help though, and I hope he has the bandwidth to build an organization, build a team, and coach a team. I don't see any time to be a coordinator in there.

If McD has all the power, so be it as long it gets us to where we want to be. He's going to need a lot of help though, and I hope he has the bandwidth to build an organization, build a team, and coach a team. I don't see any time to be a coordinator in there.

That is why he brought in Frazier, someone very familiar with his brand of defense. Don't think McD will be doing any coordinating.

I am a fan of McDermott so far.

To the crowd that says "he's never been a head coach", "he came out of nowhere", "the panthers haven't even been that good"...I say this, the Eagles had him as their first choice to be HC after Chip Kelly, but the Panthers kept winning in the playoffs, and the Eagles couldn't wait so they went for their next choice. McDermott has a lot of respect around the league for not only his knowledge of the game, but for the way he carries himself and is viewed by players/FO alike.

There is a lot to like here. Would I have given him total control of the football operations with so little experience at the top? Probably not. However, that is the situation we find ourselves in and must role with it. Likely we will be bringing in a GM he is very familiar with, and more importantly, is very familiar with him and his style/how he operates so they would already share the same vision. Whoever becomes the GM will do so knowing full well that McD is going to have a large part in the shots being called within the football ops (for better or worse). We are riding this McD train, all aboard.

I don't have a problem with this but I'm just trying to figure what he has done to make people like him so much?