How do you view McDermott's role in the GM situation?

My concern, like many others, is whether or not a top candidate for GM, which is what we all want and deserve, will want to walk into a situation in which he is knowingly taking a back seat to a HC (it's hard enough to sell the job to begin with after the way things have been up here for the past two decades). Being entirely objective, that's my biggest concern with having McD, or any coach without a legacy of winning, respect and experience, making the final calls--put yourself in the shoes of a potential GM candidate--do you want the current situation with the Bills to be your (first) GM gig?

We probably wind up on the outside looking inside when it comes to the next anointed genius GMs (hopefully, none of this will have any bearing on how well McD will be as the HC--I hope he's the second coming of Vince Lombardi but I don't see any future Paul Browns coming aboard this ship!).

None of the big name possible candidates (wolf, etc.) wouldn't take the GM gig if they cannot have the power a typical GM has. Like hiring HIS head coach. Now With a rookie head coach in place. And with his vote carrying a lot of weight he will poach someone he knows and will sell him too the Pegulas. Imo this severely limits who would work for the Bills and thier unorthodox way of going about these changes. The cart is in front of the horse. Maybe canning all the scouts is a selling point to any new GM where at least he would (hopefully) have the power to assemble his scouting staff. It may take away the sting of a new rookie HC in waiting holding what seems like a lot of power.

#bringbackmonos

Edited by Best Player Available

Pegula will not hire anyone that McDermott is not comfortable with. MC has probably given Pegula a short list of candidates and one will be picked from that list. Whaley is gone because his vision, plan differed from MC and Pegula is not going to blindly hire a GM without getting input from MC. Pegula wants one vision coming from the HC/ GM.

Some articles I've read are making it sound like he took the reigns of the bills and booted whaley out of the way in the process. Personally, I feel like he is more caught in the middle of a spat and he is trying to make the best of it.

Am I way lost? Am I looking too into things?

his role

is already done, the fix is in, just part of the charade

Beane from Carolina will be the GM ...."collaborating" (cough) with the head coach

This is my guess as well.

I think that when McDermott was hired Whaley was told to report to him. I'd be surprised if Beane isn't named the new GM.

yes it will need to be someone who McD knows extremely well already and they both agree on how the thing is going to work

You are now forced to have to hire a GM that can work with the coach. Might be some collusion going on but more than likely this is just fortunate convenience

Usually its the other way around but this time coach dictates the GM

Edited by ddaryl

I am a fan of McDermott so far.

To the crowd that says "he's never been a head coach", "he came out of nowhere", "the panthers haven't even been that good"...I say this, the Eagles had him as their first choice to be HC after Chip Kelly, but the Panthers kept winning in the playoffs, and the Eagles couldn't wait so they went for their next choice. McDermott has a lot of respect around the league for not only his knowledge of the game, but for the way he carries himself and is viewed by players/FO alike.

There is a lot to like here. Would I have given him total control of the football operations with so little experience at the top? Probably not. However, that is the situation we find ourselves in and must role with it. Likely we will be bringing in a GM he is very familiar with, and more importantly, is very familiar with him and his style/how he operates so they would already share the same vision. Whoever becomes the GM will do so knowing full well that McD is going to have a large part in the shots being called within the football ops (for better or worse). We are riding this McD train, all aboard.

pretty much Gregg Williams 2.0. Lets hope this one works out a little better. However, with 2-3 more years of rebuild/restart suck ahead, Fans will probably run this guy out of town within 2 years just like Greggo.

Disturbing especially when you look at the fact that Carolina has had only 2 winning seasons in the last 8 years. I don't know if this guy can even be a HC let alone poaching anymore people from the Panthers. This sounds like Pegula is acting on phone conversations with his buddy Bill Polian.

Yeah this my issue as well, especially in the NFC South. Where was McD genius where Julio Jones went for over 300 yards against them and Matt Ryan had over 500 yards passing or when Drew Breezy threw for over 460 yards with Brandon Cooks (who is our division now with Brady) go for 173 yards and a TD or Carson Palmer go for 363 yards. The list goes on and that was just in 2016

I don't have a problem with this but I'm just trying to figure what he has done to make people like him so much?

Why I personally like McDermott so far (and thats the only person I can speak for) is that he has a great pedigree and feel for today's NFL. He has said all the right things, and not rushed to judgement in any situation (took time making a decision on the roster). Has put together a quality staff so that he can actually just be the HC (and I guess GM). He is sending the right message with the players after the summer camp that was Rex Ryan's Bills.

Basically I like his back ground and philosophy. I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and see if he can actually make us winners again.

It will be interesting to know how the responsibilities between GM and HC are split up,but chances are we won't find out. More than likely, the answers at the PC for the GM hiring will be..."it will be a collaborative team effort".

Oh well...I guess the only thing that matters is they find a QB and start winning again.

Edited by LabattBlue

Oh well...I guess the only thing that matters is they find a QB and start winning again.

Maybe they'll actually do this this time...

But overall postive vibes regarding McDermott as our coach and if we get the gm from Carolina I think thats the best move going forward.

Does it translate or do fans start calling for heads by seasons end yet again.... Thats the question

I view McDermott as the guy running the show now. Any GM they hire will be under the coach. Basically another Whaley, a glorified head scout and order taker. At the very least we know who gets the credit (or blame) from 2017 on.

Is it a good idea? Considering the muddled collaborative arrangement we had before, why not try it this way?

Agreed. the only way it can work, now that Pegs hired the coach first. Probably smart, as he wasn't getting a top leadership GM anyway, so go this way... won't get anything but another Whaley, but hey it will be his guy and not someone else's. Works in Atlanta, might work here.

I doubt we will ever know exactly how everything transpired, that resulted in Whaley and the entire scouting staff being fired immediately after the draft. My personal take is that Whaley has been a bit of a "reacher". Perhaps he wanted to reach in this draft and was overruled. There's no team in the NFL that just drafts "Best Player Available". It's always more complicated than that and often MASSIVELY so. Thinking on what could have happened, maybe McDermott, Whaley and the scouting staff all worked on their boards and Whaley tried to go off script during the draft. The Bills have the luxury of knowing who they could have ended up with versus what actually happened. I can't think of any other reason that Whaley wouldn't have been fired well before the draft. As far as who becomes the new GM, I'm not sure it matters. McDermott got his first "win" already. I expect he'll pretty much be in charge going forward.

As far as who becomes the new GM, I'm not sure it matters. McDermott got his first "win" already. I expect he'll pretty much be in charge going forward.

Seriously...you thing it doesn't matter who the GM is?

- Who is going to hire a competent scouting staff of 20-25 people?

- Who is going to build the draft big board?

- Who is going to scour the waiver wire and F/A market as training camp progresses into the season?

- Who is dealing with the decisions for extending contracts?

A first time HC who will be up to his eyeballs in game prep and everything else involved in coaching a football team?

Yeah...you're right. Probably doesn't matter.

Edited by LabattBlue