Whaley has done a better job of drafting than Pats

I looked at the number of players we drafted from 2013-2016, how many remained with the team, and how many are still in NFL. The latter is very important because that is an indicator of your "ability" to spot talent in the drafts. I then compared your performance to that of our esteemed rivals, New England Patriots. And the results are interesting:

gXIOLGP.png

In those 4 years we drafted 28 players to Pats' 36. Of the 28, 15 still remain with the team as of today. That's 54%. Looking at the pats, of the 36, 18 players are still on their roster as of today. So we have exceeded Pats' team retention by 4%. Nice.

Now let's look at over-all talent evaluation. How many of our players are still on NFL rosters, vs. those who are no longer NFL players. Of the 28 players we drafted, 24 are still in the league, or 86%. Of the 36 players the esteemed Pats drafted, only 27 remain in the NFL. That's 75%. Here, Bills and Whaley have outperformed World Champions by 11% points.

Doug, it is clear now. it's not your fault this team hasn't won. You can only bring them in. You aren't the one coaching them.

He drafted EJ Manuel, has said so in the debacle interview, that was his undoing. You draft a failure as QB and you won't last long in the league. All other picks are meaningless, if the GM selects a QB and he fails, that will be said GM's undoing or at least it should be in most cases.

Edited by BuffaloBillsGospel

It's not just a player-performance based equation.

He mangled the salary cap and player contracts over and over. He taded up for Sammy when there was no need to. We have 0 players on our roster from our 2013 draft.

He had to go. And comparing his performance to another team's is simply a false equivalency. It doesn't matter if he supposedly drafted better than the Pats. He still ran the organization poorly.

So the original poster is saying that it is easier for draft picks to win a roster spot on the Buffalo Bills, who haven't been to the playoffs this century, then it is to win a roster spot on the world champion New England Patriots. I guess that proves Whaley was a genius.

I looked at the number of players we drafted from 2013-2016, how many remained with the team, and how many are still in NFL. The latter is very important because that is an indicator of your "ability" to spot talent in the drafts. I then compared your performance to that of our esteemed rivals, New England Patriots. And the results are interesting:

gXIOLGP.png

In those 4 years we drafted 28 players to Pats' 36. Of the 28, 15 still remain with the team as of today. That's 54%. Looking at the pats, of the 36, 18 players are still on their roster as of today. So we have exceeded Pats' team retention by 4%. Nice.

Now let's look at over-all talent evaluation. How many of our players are still on NFL rosters, vs. those who are no longer NFL players. Of the 28 players we drafted, 24 are still in the league, or 86%. Of the 36 players the esteemed Pats drafted, only 27 remain in the NFL. That's 75%. Here, Bills and Whaley have outperformed World Champions by 11% points.

Doug, it is clear now. it's not your fault this team hasn't won. You can only bring them in. You aren't the one coaching them.

The Pats always draft at the bottom of each round we draft near the top. They trade down and gain more picks, we trade up to get higher picks. They trade a lot of picks to get proven players we don't. Whaley overall may make better picks but he certainly didn't have a pulse on the team and how to construct one.

He drafted EJ Manuel, has said so in the debacle interview, that was his undoing. You draft a failure as QB and you won't last long in the league. All other picks are meaningless, if the GM selects a QB and he fails, that will be said GM's undoing or at least it should be in most cases.

This mindset is so stupid to me. You can't find a QB if you don't try to get one. GMs from all teams try - and fail more times than they succeed. Look around the league. Look at the history of the position.

Or ... you know ... just say something stupid that makes no effing sense. That's a lot easier, isn't it.

Bill b does not draft well

Eh, they do seem to find some gems. There is a reason they have run the AFC for the last 17 years basically. This year they hit FA hard and worked out a trade for Cooks. One last reload for an attempt at a undefeated season.

Edited by H2o

number of players drafted who stayed on a non playoff team

vs

number of players drafted who made a super bowl champion team

not apples to oranges

also , as an example....NE used this years 1st round pick (#32 OVL) on some WR name Brandin Cooks

had he been in the draft.....would have gone Top 5

See the evidence is coming out daily. It's a lock now. The Bills will win the offseason paper trophy for the 18th consecutive season.

Who needs parades, trophy's, rings, national exposure, etc. The Bills simply win every offseason. This is the best part of year. Screw winning games. this drafting crap is powerful stuff.

#winning

This mindset is so stupid to me. You can't find a QB if you don't try to get one. GMs from all teams try - and fail more times than they succeed. Look around the league. Look at the history of the position.

Or ... you know ... just say something stupid that makes no effing sense. That's a lot easier, isn't it.

True, but did you ever watch EJ play at FSU? There is a reason he wasn't viewed as a first round pick. Even his college coach basically said he wouldn't be a successful pro. It's one thing to miss on a QB, it's another to simply make a bad pick.

The poster is correct that QB's get GM's fired as well. You don't have to agree with the practice, but he is correct. That is exactly my answer for the OP. That is why the Pats GM still has a job while Whaley doesn't. The Pats GM doesn't have to do as well drafting as Whaley. He has more leeway because he has Brady. Whaley didn't have Brady, and as a result more was required of him to make the team a winner. The Pats GM doesn't have to do as much to make the team a winner. He has Brady. It's a bottom line business measured in wins and losses. No one cares how you get those wins. If you don't get those wins you are done.

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

gXIOLGP.png

Whaley is fired, time to move on. Plus there is a Whaley Thread

It's not just a player-performance based equation.

He mangled the salary cap and player contracts over and over. He taded up for Sammy when there was no need to. We have 0 players on our roster from our 2013 draft.

He had to go. And comparing his performance to another team's is simply a false equivalency. It doesn't matter if he supposedly drafted better than the Pats. He still ran the organization poorly.

The salary cap is not mangled. If you resign every player you will be.

gXIOLGP.png

Well, to paraphrase Buddy Nix: if you have a franchise QB, you look like a genius no matter what.

When reading about his positives it mentions incognito and tyrod both where Rex's doing....the shady trade fell into his lap as it was chip Kelly's idea and it wasn't a hard sell. The only thing I would consider his might be the Hughes trade, Lorenzo signing and brown