Like or dislike the future of the Bills Organization

i, along with many others, are just in wait and see more. it's just not worth making any assumptions with this team. i like that at least there seems to be some sort of direction, but will it work? who knows. i am glad there was change though.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that the Bills have a better chance at the playoffs than last year. All we need is health and a defensive scheme that works. I don't think that will happen because the bills will be bills, and injuries always happen. That being said, ask me this time next year.

Agree it is too way early to say. I would have preferred they hired a football czar and stayed out the way regarding anything football related from hiring coaches to GMs. The mistakes they have made up to this point has set the franchise back a few years.

However, we have to see how things play out and I will always be hopeful things turn around. I think the way they are doing it is risky but nothing else has worked so willing to see how things go.

Firing their GM & scouting department the day after the draft is hysterical.

To this day, does anyone even know what Doug Whaley really did and had authority over?

This phony GM business and Russ Brandon's continued role makes me scratch my head over the team's ability to right the ship.

Edited by TheElectricCompany

Firing their GM & scouting department the day after the draft is hysterical.

To this day, does anyone even know what Doug Whaley really did and had authority over?

This phony GM business and Russ Brandon's continued roll makes me scratch my head over the team's ability to right the ship.

I was on the same idea but that's the best time to do it. Scouting for next years draft starts now (or even before for returning college players). I don't mind them doing what they think is best for the team, all these hold overs from previous management/coaching I think is more of a problem than anything. I actually think this was a blessing for Doug Whaley, he's a great talent evaluator stuck in one of the worst run organizations in professional sports.

I was on the same idea but that's the best time to do it. Scouting for next years draft starts now (or even before for returning college players). I don't mind them doing what they think is best for the team, all these hold overs from previous management/coaching I think is more of a problem than anything. I actually think this was a blessing for Doug Whaley, he's a great talent evaluator stuck in one of the worst run organizations in professional sports.

I don't think he's terrible, nor is he amazing, but we're all guessing unless we know what his actual role was, along with what Russ & the Pegulas could override him on.

It's hard to be optimistic after the last 15+ years of watching this pathetic organization.

Firing coaches, scouts and front office personnel is only a small part of the equation. We've done it dozens of times before, only to circle back to the same place of losing and mediocrity. The only way the Buffalo Bills will ever get better is by hiring brilliant football people to run the place from the top down.

I'm not upset about Doug Whaley getting fired. The guy was a mixed bag - with some really good moves in free agency and making trades, but also a very average record with drafting and constant rumblings about him clashing with coaches. An argument can be made that he deserved another year. But he also made plenty of mistakes worthy of termination. Whaley certainly wasn't dreadful as GM. But in the 3-4 years he's been running the team, it's hard to see any real progress. Kicking him and the scouting staff out the door gives us a clean slate. Now it all depends on who we bring as replacements at One Bills Drive.

Unfortunately, watching Terry Pegula stumble over himself at the press conference yesterday gives me very little confidence he can find the right General Manager to take Whaley's place. I truly believe the man wants to win for the Buffalo community, and is willing to shell out the money to do so. But I truly question his ability to bring in the right people. The front office organization comes across as a complete mess, with no leadership, no direction, no accountability and no clear indication of who will be running the show.

Sean McDermott seems like a nice guy, and he's had some success as a Defensive Coordinator in this league. People like him because he's disciplined and organized, and is well respected around the league. (Basically the opposite of Rex Ryan). But at the end of the day, it all comes down to winning. Not personality. By late September, the honeymoon will be over and fans will demand results.

For the first time since they ran Flutie out of town, I have faith that our team is moving in the right direction. Some have an issue with the timing, but I figure the best time to fix a mistake is as soon as possible after you recognize it. My one complaint would be that they waited so long.

Based on what?

What's to like? Suddenly because they fired Whaley all is well? The first big decision the Pegulas made was to hire Rex Ryan. Now they put the future of the franchise in the hands of a rookie head coach. What could possibly go wrong? Am I the only one that finds how this thing went down as odd? What was the point of not firing Whaley in January? Torture? The guy was vilified in the press for four months. Why not fire him with Ryan? And allow the man a modicum of dignity? Instead he was required to do a months long walk of shame. If you were going to let McDermott run the show why not at least let Whaley go after his hiring?

I don't think Whaley did a bad job, but I understand the Pegulas feeling it was time for a change. I understand those that point to his mistakes, but they tend to dismiss the good moves. Someone is going to respond to this post by writing that it was smart to keep him until after the draft, why? To get McDermott coffee?

Simple as it states in the title. Do you like the way forward Bills Organization is moving?

Do you dislike the way forward the Bills Organization is moving?

Are you on the fence?

Im pretty thrilled thus far. I have my reservations about the abilities of some of the picks, however, Im reasonable and give the kids enough time to show me what they have or have not.

I feel as though for once in the last decade or so since Wade was here things could be moving in a way that would finally make our franchise relevant.

We have an owner that just proves he will not settle for mediocrity/average.

We have an owner that isnt afraid to spend.

We have little holdovers from the Wilson years.

We just filled some very needed holes that had been looked over for a while.

We have what appears to be if healthy a very capable Wr, te, and rb.

We have qb that doesnt lose you games.

I finally feel there is HOPE!

I am glad that Terry is not complacent with mediocrity. He made two major decisions lately that reflect that: changing the HC and GM.

HC. McD looks to be a good hire. He's passionate, detail-oriented and has a background about as good as the typical coordinator turned HC. But we still don't know if he's any good as the top man.

GM. We don't know who the new guy is.

I can't say I'm happy with the direction of the Bills until I know the direction McD and the new GM are taking us. Time will tell.

I really like what McDermott is saying, but talk is cheap. There have always been buzz phrases surrounding new coaching hires and "detail-oriented" is the latest and greatest. When the real games start, I'll start developing a real opinion on McDermott.

With that being said, I'm generally pessimistic about the fact that the owners want to hire everyone and be very involved. I don't think they are very qualified to make direct football/hockey operations hires, yet they insist on it. I would like a president of ops on both sides who is qualified to make GM/coaching hires based on X's and O's more than intangible personal characteristics.

McDermott is as sharp a coach as we have ever had. If he can perform well on game days then we may have something very special.

Now as long as we can land one of the top GM candidates like Brandon Beane he gets to work with a bright and talented football executive that McDermott has a history with. Both are 100% on board with eachother, which we haven't seen here since Gailey/Nix - only this time both are under 50 and actually talented and well-versed in the modern game.

Any Bills fan who isn't fired up right now has no pulse.

Whaley is not the core problem. That would be Russ & the Pegulas overriding or ignoring their GM's input.

There are several examples where coaching or player decisions went against Whaley's opinion, for better or worse.

If that doesn't change, the new guy doesn't stand a chance.

Whaley is not the core problem. That would be Russ & the Pegulas overriding or ignoring their GM's input.

There are several examples where coaching or player decisions went against Whaley's opinion, for better or worse.

Let's pretend (just for a moment) that you know this for sure. What are some examples?

The problem with Whaley was that he had no over arching theory on how to build this team. For awhile he ran around saying "Big Wins" in the NFL, he was "All In" on EJ as so on. Therefore he was a weak GM that was willing to stand aside and let Coaches dictate to him what defense they were going to run and what players to obtain.

That's what I saw anyways.

He was asked point blank at this years Year End Press Conference, what is your plan on how to build a team, his answer was find a Coach and "get talent".

So when you see the Ravens draft Humphrey and Williams, that's a Ravens model, or the Patriots load up with agility players, that the Patriots.

Whaley's model was to scab together offense pieces around weak backup level Quarterbacks. Again with the trading up and down, we always seemed lacking in draft capital, he had no idea about our cap situation (always deferring to Overdorf), the public speaking and getting caught in awkward statements (humans shouldn't play football, no idea why Rex was fired).

Like, but don't love it.

Nervous about giving a rookie head coach who hasn't won a game so much power and influence so soon. That'll boom or bust with no middle ground. The Pegulas are a mess as owners.

On the other hand, the team has some solid talent, sharp assistant head coaches and had a quality draft on paper.