Why not us? 2017 Playoffs

I suffer from lowered expectation syndrome. Every once in awhile logic and reason gets in the way of my condition. Now is one of those times....

The off-season is a funny thing, especially looking back to all those years we won the off-season. Not that long ago Rex was one of those years. Prior we had Bledsoe, Tom Donahue, Takeo Spikes/Lawyer Milloy to name a few.... All these exciting off seasons producing absolutely nothing. This off-season wasn't overly inspiring. None of it really matters, fan outlook does not produce wins. Outside of few franchises with exceptional QB play nobody knows how 2017 should go.

Is it logical to start where the previous season ended? Sometimes it could be, but I don't see how that works in our situation.

• We had a defense that was playing a system for 2 years that the defense did not properly fit
  • Ragland and Shaq are virtually unknown, production in 2017 could range from Pro Bowl to bust
  • Sammy was not Sammy, or maybe he was Sammy, but what if Sammy was Sammy? Like last 8 games of 2015 Sammy?
  • What if Tyrod keeps getting a little bit better? Not here to start a debate....
  • What if we get Pro Bowl production from any of our new additions in FA or the draft?
  • What if McDermott turns out to be legit, or even, what if Rex was so bad McDermott looks legit as a result?
  • What if Darius returns to form?

Roll back to 2014 and this team and the defense looked playoff bound. It all just fell apart the last two years. In large part the pieces are still together. At the least they certainly could be together if a few things go our way. Since 1993, Bills offenses have only averaged more points than the 2015 and 2016 season 2 times. What if we get that production and we see a return to the defensive line being dominant? We see the defense return to a top 10 unit? It seems almost as conceivable for things to go that way than for things to be as bad as it was with Rex for a 3rd straight year.

Edited by KzooMike

First year HC and new staff. No clue who the GM will be. Marginal QB. You are a year too early.

Why not us? 2018 Playoffs

I'll buy. This draft sets up nicely for that.

I disagree. Look at the AFC. It's weak , for starters. We're getting an influx of young talent - Shaq,Ragland, Listenbee, and this promising draft class and even with a joke of a defensive scheme, a joke of a HC and an abnormal amount of injuries to key guys,we were in contention the last 2 years. Look at how many close games we barely lost, to good teams as well- KC twice, Sea,Oak, Mia just for example.

I believe with the changes to the coaching , we can turn those close losses into Wins and definitely contend for playoffs

I suffer from lowered expectation syndrome. Every once in awhile logic and reason gets in the way of my condition. Now is one of those times....

The off-season is a funny thing, especially looking back to all those years we won the off-season. Not that long ago Rex was one of those years. Prior we had Bledsoe, Tom Donahue, Takeo Spikes/Lawyer Milloy to name a few.... All these exciting off seasons producing absolutely nothing. This off-season wasn't overly inspiring. None of it really matters, fan outlook does not produce wins. Outside of few franchises with exceptional QB play nobody knows how 2017 should go.

Is it logical to start where the previous season ended? Sometimes it could be, but I don't see how that works in our situation.

• We had a defense that was playing a system for 2 years that the defense did not properly fit
  • Ragland and Shaq are virtually unknown, production in 2017 could range from Pro Bowl to bust
  • Sammy was not Sammy, or maybe he was Sammy, but what if Sammy was Sammy? Like last 8 games of 2015 Sammy?
  • What if Tyrod keeps getting a little bit better? Not here to start a debate....
  • What if we get Pro Bowl production from any of our new additions in FA or the draft?
  • What if McDermott turns out to be legit, or even, what if Rex was so bad McDermott looks legit as a result?
  • What if Darius returns to form?

Roll back to 2014 and this team and the defense looked playoff bound. It all just fell apart the last two years. In large part the pieces are still together. At the least they certainly could be together if a few things go our way. Since 1993, Bills offenses have only averaged more points than the 2015 and 2016 season 2 times. What if we get that production and we see a return to the defensive line being dominant? We see the defense return to a top 10 unit? It seems almost as conceivable for things to go that way than for things to be as bad as it was with Rex for a 3rd straight year.

There are exactly 4 defensive players left from that 2014 defense: Kyle, Dareus, Hughes, Preston Brown. Time for a reality check. It ain't comin' back.

I love McDermott but we are installing pillar opposite systems that will take time to get comfortable with and then we basically replaced players with draft picks so who knows how they will do, which means our talent hasn't gotten better.

Honestly I hope we have a poor record so we can draft one of the QBs next year.

We should have been a playoff team the last 2 years. Rex ruined the defense.

Love what I have seen from McD so far. Can't see us having the same issues with stupid penalties, late substitutions and poor clock management.

Watkins healthy, Ragland back, great draft class- we gonna shock the world.

Reasons we won't make the playoffs:

#1, 2 ,3 & 4 -- Bad cap management that led to losing Gillislee, Woods, Z Brown & Gilmore are four reasons we don't make the playoffs.

#5 -- We do not have a starting OLB to play with Rags and P Brown.

#6 -- Cornerbacks are; Darby who is coming off a bad year; one possibly good rookie; and a marginal 2nd year 6th round pick.

#7 -- No LB depth or DB depth.

#8 -- A kicker that cannot make extra points.

#9 -- A QB that can't / won't throw over the middle or look at #3 or #4 target. It's a run if target 1 & 2 are not open.

#10 -- Ineffective back-up at RB coupled with a 30 year old starter who is getting more and more banged up every year.

#11 -- Only one good tight end.

#12 -- One oft injured #1 WR who may not be back to start the season, a number 2 that has never caught a pass in the NFL and a group of unimpressive throw-aways filling out the rest of the group.

#13 -- A good run blocking line but a poor pass blocking line -- all learning a new offense.

#14 -- Lack of leadership.

#15 -- Both Dolphins and Jets had a better draft than we did.

2017-sch-story-photo.jpg

That's why.

Now you brought the homer out in me.

Sweep the JETS, sweep the Fins, beat the Bungles again, games they should have won the last (2) season Raiders and Chiefs with bad defenses and forgetting the passing game int he 32nd half.

Home games that could be a win: Denver, Bucs, and Colts.

Road games that could be a win: Los Angeles Chargers

8 or 9 winnable games.

This notion we are in "cap jail" is BS. We have enough room to sign one of two more free agents, and even more space opens up after June 1st when Aaron Williams contract comes of the books.

As for losing players to free agency, that's the circle of life in the NFL. And if Peterman turns out to be good will you still be upset we essentially traded TD Mike for him?

We have talent. No team is without holes. If McD can whip these guys into shape we will compete.

Now you brought the homer out in me.

Sweep the JETS, sweep the Fins, beat the Bungles again, games they should have won the last (2) season Raiders and Chiefs with bad defenses and forgetting the passing game int he 32nd half.

Home games that could be a win: Denver, Bucs, and Colts.

Road games that could be a win: Los Angeles Chargers

8 or 9 winnable games.

So they'll be the same team they've been. Just bad enough to miss on one of the top QBs.

I think they're probably a 5 win team. The final 6 game stretch is brutal. Also going cross country to play the Chargers won't be easy.

First year HC and new staff. No clue who the GM will be. Marginal QB. You are a year too early.

Why not us? 2018 Playoffs

I'll buy. This draft sets up nicely for that.

This......I love McD and believe he'll be the real deal...but he'll need 2017 to mold the Bills to his liking.....2018 is the year we finally break out of the damn playoff drought....this year is more of a long audition for the players....I see anywhere for 5-11 to 8-8....

#1, 2 ,3 & 4 -- Bad cap management that led to losing Gillislee, Woods, Z Brown & Gilmore are four reasons we don't make the playoffs.

#6 -- Cornerbacks are; Darby who is coming off a bad year; one possibly good rookie; and a marginal 2nd year 6th round pick.

#9 -- A QB that can't / won't throw over the middle or look at #3 or #4 target. It's a run if target 1 & 2 are not open.

#10 -- Ineffective back-up at RB coupled with a 30 year old starter who is getting more and more banged up every year.

#12 -- One oft injured #1 WR who may not be back to start the season, a number 2 that has never caught a pass in the NFL and a group of unimpressive throw-aways filling out the rest of the group.

#13 -- A good run blocking line but a poor pass blocking line -- all learning a new offense.

I can agree with some of this.

Houschka cant make EPs?