McDermott preaches character & integrity.

Getting over it works both ways.

Funny watching all the newbie blockheads go thru their first "apologists" season on TSW.

We've been thru this 19 times/years now........17 consecutive of which haven't resulted in a successful season.......when it comes to your opinion, consider a look at the scoreboard before you crap it out of your keyboard. :thumbsup:

WTF are you talking about? I am commenting on some poster that was accusing the Bills of stealing Carolina info.

You're spewing crap at me for that?

BTW, I've been around TSW for 20+ years.

Edited by Poleshifter

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the teams that I am familiar with have an initial board set by the end of the CFB season. That is in November. Bowl games, all star games, combine, pro days etc are all for confirmation purposes and guys move around slightly as a result of those but not drastically unless there is an injury or arrest. He knew exactly who they had up high at each position - the scouting meetings take place weekly at least. In some cases the team knows its #1 target in September. They've been scouting them for years.

Scouting them for years? Maybe the best few. But if they've got so many guys all scouted how come they have to spend so much time looking again at the guys who come out early? They watch them but don't do intensive work on them till they're likely to come out, seniors or guys who're particularly likely to come out for some reason.

"At the SEC spring meetings on Tuesday, Saban said he’s part of a committee working with the NFL on the idea of “Junior Day” combine on campuses in the spring after their second year. The grades that underclassmen can currently get from the NFL are only based on film, and the results can be inaccurate."

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Nick-Saban-working-with-NFL-on-Junior-Days-to-help-scout-underclassmen-more-accurately

And yeah they have scouting meetings and collect info throughout the season but that's to collect and synthesize all the info on each guy. There's too much info coming in and being integrated on each guy to start ordering guys that early, Yolo.

As for scouting meetings, the scouts are on the road through the whole season. They don't come home for anything, certainly not for meetings, through the season. They send reports is what they do. After the college season ends they come home in December and certainly there are a lot of scouting meetings at that point.

And the bowl games are for more than confirmation, particularly the Senior Bowl and the all-star bowl games, the Shrine game and so on. Those are huge for any player from smaller conferences. You have to see how they play against big school talent. And you get to see how they practice. Even the standard bowl games are important as extra info, watching to see matchups and so on.

But I don't know what teams you're referring to about having their board set up that early. The Bills set theirs up just before the combine as pointed out in the article I linked to. The Panthers set theirs up later still.

"The Panthers will spend another week or two evaluating prospects and then set their draft board. In the meantime, fans will continue to hear lots of speculation about what player or players will be at the top of the board." (Article written April 3rd)

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/nfl-blog/article142457519.html

"General manager Dave Gettleman has said repeatedly what the Carolina Panthers do in free agency will set up the draft."
Again, he could've known some guys they liked or were particularly watching but wouldn't have known where they were ranked on their boards. Teams don't rank guys till the info is in. It wouldn't make sense to do so. Teams "know who they have high," yeah, fair enough, but that doesn't mean they're ranked.
Edited by Thurman#1

Scouting them for years? Maybe the best few. But if they've got so many guys all scouted how come they have to spend so much time looking again at the guys who come out early? They watch them but don't do intensive work on them till they're likely to come out, seniors or guys who're particularly likely to come out for some reason.

"At the SEC spring meetings on Tuesday, Saban said hes part of a committee working with the NFL on the idea of Junior Day combine on campuses in the spring after their second year. The grades that underclassmen can currently get from the NFL are only based on film, and the results can be inaccurate."

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Nick-Saban-working-with-NFL-on-Junior-Days-to-help-scout-underclassmen-more-accurately

And yeah they have scouting meetings and collect info throughout the season but that's to collect and synthesize all the info on each guy. There's too much info coming in and being integrated on each guy to start ordering guys that early, Yolo.

As for scouting meetings, the scouts are on the road through the whole season. They don't come home for anything, certainly not for meetings, through the season. They send reports is what they do. After the college season ends they come home in December and certainly there are a lot of scouting meetings at that point.

And the bowl games are for more than confirmation, particularly the Senior Bowl and the all-star bowl games, the Shrine game and so on. Those are huge for any player from smaller conferences. You have to see how they play against big school talent. And you get to see how they practice. Even the standard bowl games are important as extra info, watching to see matchups and so on.

But I don't know what teams you're referring to about having their board set up that early. The Bills set theirs up just before the combine as pointed out in the article I linked to. The Panthers set theirs up later still.

"The Panthers will spend another week or two evaluating prospects and then set their draft board. In the meantime, fans will continue to hear lots of speculation about what player or players will be at the top of the board." (Article written April 3rd)

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/nfl-blog/article142457519.html

"General manager Dave Gettleman has said repeatedly what the Carolina Panthers do in free agency will set up the draft."

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/233531/panthers-set-up-to-draft-a-running-back-or-tight-end-in-first-round

Again, he could've known some guys they liked or were particularly watching but wouldn't have known where they were ranked on their boards. Teams don't rank guys till the info is in. It wouldn't make sense to do so. Teams "know who they have high," yeah, fair enough, but that doesn't mean they're ranked.

i think you are discounting how much scouting is done on the players. We have NFL scouts here watching freshmen in practice at Ohio state regularly, like down to how they prepare for practice. I also have a relative in an NFL FO for almost 20 years. Weekly Scouting meetings are with the actual heads of college scouting and coaches, not each and every area scout. They give their info to their directors. The board I'm referring to is the initial ranking of players based on position and where they think they will go per round. Not sure if you are focused on a team's actual final draft board, which isn't necessary to know ... that if the Bills want Zay Jones, had known he's going in the 2nd, and know the Panthers had him ranked as their 4th best WR or higher they better jump up if they want him. McD hired his WR coach due to the exposure he likely had to the Panthers throughout the scouting process. While I appreciate the articles you read about when the actual draft boards are "set" for different teams ... the info isn't actually created at that time. The info has been discussed tirelessly and it is indeed for years.

The question is how much room the Panthers had between Zay and Curt. If it was a lot they would have tried to move up to the top of the 2nd to get him too. I don't think it was. I also don't know if they would have taken Dawkins instead of Moton. All they knew is they wanted those players and they knew the Panthers were very high on them, and they projected to go in those areas of the draft. If they wanted to make sure they got them they needed to move up.

Again I'm not trying to argue I'm just explaining how I know this stuff works ... narratives are being created out of lack of info on this board. What any of this has to do with character and integrity as the OP suggests is beyond me.

Edited by YoloinOhio

....Blount was hardly a choir boy.....didn't he get a year out of Floyd?....didn't Meriweather have some issues?....he took on the ultimate diva Moss.....I'm sure there are others.....he'll offer you a shot if you have talent, but it is SOLELY on HIS terms....if the best in the business gave me a chance, I'd sure as hell "tow the line"....BB has easily earned that type of respect...McD has a long way to go as a HC neophyte....Management 101..."respect is earned and NOT commanded"...............

Corey Dillon.

Even if the draft board wasn't "set" back in January, I'm sure the Carolina coaching staff knew what players/positions the team happened to be interested in. That is one of the main reasons (if not the primary reason) that Doug Whaley wasn't fired until after the draft. Even back in early January, Whaley had tons of information that could have assisted other teams in knowing the Bills strategy.

Sean McDermott didn't need a mole inside the Panthers' draft room. If he was truly in control of this year's draft, then I would imagine a good chunk of his intel on prospects came from his time with the Panthers, and not just the last 4 months on the Buffalo staff. That should just be common sense. Not a conspiracy theory.

Not to mention, this GM search was never a slam-dunk for anyone. The Pegulas are making the hire and not McDermott. It was only 4 months ago that Anthony Lynn was pretty much guaranteed the coaching job, and the whole interview process was being called a show for the public. Well, we all know how that went. Maybe the Pegulas go with Brandon Beane, because he is a legitimate GM candidate with strong ties to our head coach. Maybe they go in a completely different direction. It would be foolish for Beane to help out another NFL team, without 100% knowing he was going to get the job.

Even if the draft board wasn't "set" back in January, I'm sure the Carolina coaching staff knew what players/positions the team happened to be interested in. That is one of the main reasons (if not the primary reason) that Doug Whaley wasn't fired until after the draft. Even back in early January, Whaley had tons of information that could have assisted other teams in knowing the Bills strategy.

Sean McDermott didn't need a mole inside the Panthers' draft room. If he was truly in control of this year's draft, then I would imagine a good chunk of his intel on prospects came from his time with the Panthers, and not just the last 4 months on the Buffalo staff. That should just be common sense. Not a conspiracy theory.

Not to mention, this GM search was never a slam-dunk for anyone. The Pegulas are making the hire and not McDermott. It was only 4 months ago that Anthony Lynn was pretty much guaranteed the coaching job, and the whole interview process was being called a show for the public. Well, we all know how that went. Maybe the Pegulas go with Brandon Beane, because he is a legitimate GM candidate with strong ties to our head coach. Maybe they go in a completely different direction. It would be foolish for Beane to help out another NFL team, without 100% knowing he was going to get the job.

I agree on the draft board. I think the analogy from my profession would be development of a manufacturing process vs a "locked" process.... the bones of the process are in place for months, the final details may shift slightly up to about a week before the pilot runs.

As for ALynn, as far as I can tell there was a whole lot of unsubstantiated media speculation running rampant at that time that may or may not have reflected any reality inside the Bills. For example, the Bills were 100% going to cut ties with Taylor, benching him was the sign of that, now Taylor was mad about the benching and wouldn't renegotiate, Bills didn't know he was having surgery and the surgery was his "ploy" to make sure he got his option, reading into the Bills PR announcement about the surgery...etc etc etc. Remember all that? Which turned out to be about 2% fact and 98% fluff. What the Bills themselves said, OTOH, was pretty much an exact match for what happened: Benched Taylor to look at other guys and because meaningless game/playing hurt; expected him to have surgery in fact referred him to the surgeon; good terms with Taylor and would evaluate all options, including renegotiation.

Same thing with ALynn and the coaching job, far as I can tell. Lynn said himself he never felt he was a lock for the job, that all seems to have been a media creation.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

WTF are you talking about? I am commenting on some poster that was accusing the Bills of stealing Carolina info.

You're spewing crap at me for that?

BTW, I've been around TSW for 20+ years.

Then you should remember all the times people were shouted down on TSW for what turned out to be truth.

Hell, it took about 3 years and a mountain of evidence a mile high for A LOT of posters to buy that EJ Manuel was Doug Whaley's pick. :doh:

Countless examples of people talking sh*t about their fellow posters like you just did, only to be proven WRONG.......and you rarely see retractions because the fan haters such as yourself just want to take out their frustration with the team on the fans.

Fans don't lose games.

I've pointed out as an example numerous times the instance where we had an insightful poster here let us know that Cordy Glenn's mystery illness was a kidney problem and eball character-assassinated the guy and still to this day has yet to give a sincere apology for calling the guy a liar.

What do you have to gain for calling this guy out? If it turns out he's right are you going to eat crow? Didn't think so.

This board is about discussion of the subject of all things Buffalo Bills.......not repression of them.

There could very well have been a trail of beanes from McDermott to Carolina's draft board. Respect your fellow posters right to discuss that possibility.

i think you are discounting how much scouting is done on the players. We have NFL scouts here watching freshmen in practice at Ohio state regularly, like down to how they prepare for practice. I also have a relative in an NFL FO for almost 20 years. Weekly Scouting meetings are with the actual heads of college scouting and coaches, not each and every area scout. They give their info to their directors. The board I'm referring to is the initial ranking of players based on position and where they think they will go per round. Not sure if you are focused on a team's actual final draft board, which isn't necessary to know ... that if the Bills want Zay Jones, had known he's going in the 2nd, and know the Panthers had him ranked as their 4th best WR or higher they better jump up if they want him. McD hired his WR coach due to the exposure he likely had to the Panthers throughout the scouting process. While I appreciate the articles you read about when the actual draft boards are "set" for different teams ... the info isn't actually created at that time. The info has been discussed tirelessly and it is indeed for years.

The question is how much room the Panthers had between Zay and Curt. If it was a lot they would have tried to move up to the top of the 2nd to get him too. I don't think it was. I also don't know if they would have taken Dawkins instead of Moton. All they knew is they wanted those players and they knew the Panthers were very high on them, and they projected to go in those areas of the draft. If they wanted to make sure they got them they needed to move up.

Again I'm not trying to argue I'm just explaining how I know this stuff works ... narratives are being created out of lack of info on this board. What any of this has to do with character and integrity as the OP suggests is beyond me.

Yeah, I'm focused on the final draft board, since that's what McDermott would have had to know to know that he would have had to leap up ahead of Carolina to get our guy. McDermott would have had to know more than just that Carolina had roughly a 2nd round grade on Dawkins and that he was for example the third-highest ranked tackle on Carolina's board to know that the Bills would have to leap above Carolina or they'd take him. He'd have had to know that Carolina didn't have guys ahead of Dawkins left on their board. Guys at other positions, for example. And there's no way he could have known that from what he'd learned in Carolina before January 2nd when he was contacted about interviewing with the Bills.

Would've had to know the Panthers liked Dawkins more than Moton, as you mentioned, but also whether or not there were other guys they were going to pick above those two.

Everyone knows the Panthers had a need there and that Dawkins was ranked generally in that area. But they had several needs and for McDermott to have had inside info he'd have had to know much more than that, and again, on January 2nd other than that they - maybe - liked Dawkins in that very general area he wouldn't have had more specific info.

Hell, if you look at the Big Boards published by draftniks before the draft, guys like Gil Brandt, Dawkins was in that general area. This wouldn't have been big news for anyone.

But again, what is being ignored in all of this is how involved a coach would have been in scouting during the NFL season. Particularly a serious grinder like McDermott. It's not like a DC doesn't have a ton of other work to do during the season. Yeah, coaches get involved, but no almost certainly not much that early in the process.

And yeah I know that scouts go to practice and watch it when they visit schools. That's not a trade secret.

As I say, yeah, I'm focusing on the draft board itself. That's what's put together so late, and what McDermott would have had to know to make it some kind of dirty trick to skip ahead of Carolina. Of course they discuss the players a ton before that, but they don't rank 'em that early in the way that would have made McDermott's info in any way proprietary.

Agreed that narratives are being made up here. And that most of them don't make much sense. And that unless he was getting info pipelined from Beane late in the process - wildly unlikely for many reasons - integrity wasn't an issue here.

Edited by Thurman#1

What is it exactly that they did to Whaley (and I hoped nothing but the best for the guy, and have no hard feelings now that he is gone) in the context of the nfl that ran 'em afoul of Merriam-Webster in your eyes?

Sorry you have not followed this.

They never gave Whaley any power. Real GM's hire the coach. Whaley did not hire any coaches.

Brandon lorded over Whaley on his first draft that resulted in Watkins.

Whaley wanted Hue Jackson. Brandon wanted Rex. He got Rex.

Whaley wanted A Lynn. Pegs wanted McDictator. He got McD.

He drafted for ea coach sys to then need to draft for new sys when coach was replaced and/or coordinators replaced. flip flopping d 3-4 to 4-3 to 3-4. o changes etc etc.....

McDictator then says Whaley and staff did a phenomenal job.

KC GM says deal was setup with Whaley.

Pegs admitted Whaley did the whole draft.

While media whispers Pegs privately admitting to friends he maybe should have gone with Lynn.

Then booted him hours after his phenomenal draft ended. On a Sunday in am..saying decision was made after a process, after draft, a draft that just ended a few hours ago.

Pegs saying no GM candidates have been considered yet and next day Panthers GM Beane interview is reported in the works.

Only a tone deaf person would think McDermott did not have a hand in Whaley fired or that the decision was not make weeks ago before draft.

regardless of what dictionary you look up the word in. This is all poor integrity.

Whaley made mistakes and arguably could be said he needed to move on. But to do him like this was wrong. He was powerless. Then Coach working side by side with a guy he knows is fired just to ring out the draft is low life corp world behavior we live in.

Don't get me wrong. I hope McDermott aces this gig. But the start stinks.

Edited by cba fan

If you work with an organization for six years, you're going to gain an intimate understanding of the kinds of players they prefer. Collusion has nothing to do with it. McDermott may have had an idea that the Panthers had an eye on Dawkins but that's why you see teams trading up all the time. They get news, they hear something, they get some kind of information that Team X is going to take Player A and if they covert Player A, they need to find a way to get ahead of Team X so they can get their guy. I'm pretty sure that's how the draft is played every year. Inevitably, a person coming from one team to a new one is going to know a few things about his previous team. That doesn't indicate collusion. That doesn't indicate any sneaky, behind the scenes deals being made.

And Doug knew he was out shortly after his year-end press conference. But there was no way they were going to cut him and his staff loose at that point in time. It's a bummer for Doug and his crew but they knew they were there to finish their main focus (the draft) and then after that they knew the team was headed into a new direction.

This new direction is much more in line with what more and more teams are doing these days. Not that every team is naming a new coach and handing them the keys to the entire operation, but the separation between coaches and the front office is much smaller than ever. Coaches have always talked with their GMs to give them an idea of the kinds of players they would like for their system and GMs take that into account and try to pick guys that'll fit what their coach is looking for. However, the old tradition wasn't like that. In the past it was "coaches coach" and "GMs pick the players." This traditionalist approach is what kept the Bills from hiring any prominent head coaches in the last 16 years. Ralph Wilson was very much a traditionalist in this sense. He considered the coaching staff and the front office staff as completely different departments. It was the front office's job to get players and it was the coaches job to find a way to fit that player into their vision. That's why they ended up with first-timers like Williams and Mularkey. It's why the ended up with re-treads like Jauron, Gailey and Ryan, those guys all agreed with the traditional structure. Marrone did not. Marrone wanted some form of control in personnel. When he didn't get that, he asked for the opt-out language to be put in his contract. It's why guys like Mike Shanahan, Bill Cowher, Mike Holmgren, etc. never really considered Buffalo a real option because they wanted a structure that allowed for more say from the coach.

The Pegulas, upon entering the league, appeared like they wanted to continue that approach. I believe part of what made them so sold on McDermott is that he probably outlined and explained how these newer structures work. I don't see it as simply as some do, like "Oh, he's a dictator and he wants full control." No, I believe he explained to them that the most successful teams have much more collaboration between coaches and the front office than the teams who prefer to keep those things totally separate.

Whaley did his best to provide the coaches he had with the types of players they preferred. But, at the same time, he had the ability to make the final call on any pick. So if it came down to something like, "Rex likes Player A because he fits the scheme and can do this and that" vs. "Doug likes Player B because he's the better athlete and you can coach him into your system, so I'm taking Player B." The Pegulas and McDermott want a structure wherein McDermott and the GM don't end up in those debates because their visions are so aligned and the GM understands what McDermott wants and McDermott understands that the GM will side with him more often than not.

On top of all this, the one dynamic Terry and Kim hadn't changed in an effort to improve was the GM and scouting staff. I was a big Whaley fan. When I heard they hired him from Pittsburgh to groom him as their next GM, I was excited because he was a younger executive coming from one of those most stable and successful franchises in all of sports. Unfortunately, I don't believe Doug was ever given 100% complete control over football operations. He didn't hire Gailey, he didn't hire Marrone, he supposedly wanted Hue Jackson instead of Rex Ryan but Ryan's charisma fooled Terry and Kim. Apparently he wanted Lynn but I think the Pegulas felt like that move would've been seen as lateral and just "business as usual." They made a tough decision to "clean house" as so many have clamored for and now that they do, people question their motives.

To me, it's just the new dynamic between HCs and GMs that has led to the organizational restructuring being done at OBD.

They never gave Whaley any power. Real GM's hire the coach. Whaley did not hire any coaches.

He drafted for ea coach sys to then need to draft for new sys when coach was replaced and/or coordinators replaced. flip flopping d 3-4 to 4-3 to 3-4. o changes etc etc.....

While media whispers Pegs privately admitting to friends he maybe should have gone with Lynn.

Then booted him hours after his phenomenal draft ended. On a Sunday in am..saying decision was made after a process, after draft, a draft that just ended a few hours ago.

Pegs saying no GM candidates have been considered yet and next day Panthers GM Beane interview is reported in the works.

Only a tone deaf person would think McDermott did not have a hand in Whaley fired or that the decision was not make weeks ago before draft.

regardless of what dictionary you look up the word in. This is all poor integrity.

Whaley made mistakes and arguably could be said he needed to move on. But to do him like this was wrong. He was powerless. Then Coach working side by side with a guy he knows is fired just to ring out the draft is low life corp world behavior we live in.

Excellent piece. Hints at why I'm concerned this franchise might be getting wrse rather than better. The mess that is the Sabres adds to my quesiness.

This should be the post that is posted in response to every one of these threads created for this nonsense. And then lock the thread. So everyone with a hot take and a narrative can do nothing but read it. Beane didn't need to feed any information to anyone. McDermott worked for the damn team.

So we can agree on the hope that McDermott is the cats pajammers as a coach.

I think most of the rest of what you wrote is speculation. For all we know, Pegs may have decided that Whaley needed to go, may have offered him the chance to stay through the draft and so on. Whaley may have taken the opportunity and opted to see it through. He may have been offered the chance to leave two coaches ago. Whaley may have personal issues, or Pegula might, or about a million other things.

It's not a matter of being tone deaf, it's the result of the simple acknowledgement that many of your facts may not actually be factual. Let's look at "McDictator then says Whaley and staff did a phenomenal job.'. That could mean 45 different things (he stayed out of my way, he did great research, he steered me away from XXXX and we went with YYYY). Be that as it may, let's assume McDermott thought he did a horrible job. Well, who would say that?

I get part of what you're saying, but some of it (Media whispers, Pegula private musings) has a decidedly reality tv vibe to it.

End of the day--the NFL is not a place for the faint of heart. McDermott's job is to win football games, and if he was entrusted by ownership to do what he wanted to do, so be it.

Very much so, and while the Bills have never won a Championship its very possible having an overabundance of good character was the driving force that helped carry the Bills to 4 straight Superbowls.

Agreed

Getting over it works both ways.

Funny watching all the newbie blockheads go thru their first "apologists" season on TSW.

We've been thru this 19 times/years now........17 consecutive of which haven't resulted in a successful season.......when it comes to your opinion, consider a look at the scoreboard before you crap it out of your keyboard. :thumbsup:

:lol: it reminds me of the days of my youth.

...McD can prove himself more so than "preaching"......the masterful Belichick has gambled on suspect character guys, laid out HIS edict and they could either stay or go (Blount, Floyd, Meriweather, diva Moss, plenty more) because he valued their prowess....molding a suspect/borderline kid into a player AND a mature man tells me more about a HC versus a guy shopping for "choir boys" in the sport...............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Do people really expect this to be a thing? Does anyone really believe McD would be dumb enough to jeopardize everything for a couple of draft picks?

I think people like to make it a thing when it isn't. Is anyone outside of Buffalo even talking about this? Not that I have seen. Leads me to conclude one thing. People that want to make it a thing didn't like the fact that Whaley got fired so lets stir up some dirt that doesn't exist.

I mean if the OP wants to think this is collusion then might as well suspect that from Belichick every time he plucks a FA off of an opponents team.

Edited by Scott7975

So we can agree on the hope that McDermott is the cats pajammers as a coach.

I think most of the rest of what you wrote is speculation. For all we know, Pegs may have decided that Whaley needed to go, may have offered him the chance to stay through the draft and so on. Whaley may have taken the opportunity and opted to see it through. He may have been offered the chance to leave two coaches ago. Whaley may have personal issues, or Pegula might, or about a million other things.

It's not a matter of being tone deaf, it's the result of the simple acknowledgement that many of your facts may not actually be factual. Let's look at "McDictator then says Whaley and staff did a phenomenal job.'. That could mean 45 different things (he stayed out of my way, he did great research, he steered me away from XXXX and we went with YYYY). Be that as it may, let's assume McDermott thought he did a horrible job. Well, who would say that?

I get part of what you're saying, but some of it (Media whispers, Pegula private musings) has a decidedly reality tv vibe to it.

End of the day--the NFL is not a place for the faint of heart. McDermott's job is to win football games, and if he was entrusted by ownership to do what he wanted to do, so be it.

Agree 100%. Yes we do not know all the details and most posts are a lot of speculation. I believe Pegs likes Whaley but knew it was just not going to work.

Pegs seemed genuinely sad to have to let Whaley go. That is why I put in the media whisper of Lynn.

I hope what you speculated is more true than what we know now and what media has speculated so far.

In the mean time I will still support McDictator until he proves he can not coach. He projects a lot of confidence in his coaching/leading abilities. So we have Hope.

Agree 100%. Yes we do not know all the details and most posts are a lot of speculation. I believe Pegs likes Whaley but knew it was just not going to work.

Pegs seemed genuinely sad to have to let Whaley go. That is why I put in the media whisper of Lynn.

I hope what you speculated is more true than what we know now and what media has speculated so far.

In the mean time I will still support McDictator until he proves he can not coach. He projects a lot of confidence in his coaching/leading abilities. So we have Hope.

Yes! If history teaches us anything, we can grab the pitchforks at a later time. No need to eat our own. Yet.

I like McDermott thus far. I like his approach. I like that he's keeping his mouth shut and getting to work. I would hope that since he's a guy being paid handsomely to win games, that he has both a burning desire to succeed and a plan to get there. I hold no real long term animosity against departed coaches or players, so the next guy up is just that--the next guy up. Whaley imo was there long enough to show what he brought to the table, they moved on. He'll be ok.