Breer: Bills an organization that is still broken.

JM2009

most of these problems were inherited, not created by the Pegs

Pegula inherited a championship level defense and a top special teams unit. He screwed it up by hiring Rex and not letting his GM hire his coach. Maybe Marrone knew something and got the hell out.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would completely agree with this move, but look at the person who made it. There really no evidence Pegs will find the right person for this job (and a lot supporting the contrary). When it comes to hiring FO personnel (for either team), he has been nothing but incompetent. So, the jury is definitely out on this move.

It seems to me you would hire a GM, then let him come up with a HC that he can work with. Rather than hire a first year HC and let him pick his boss. That, to me, seems ass backwards and broken. But it is Pegula, and the Bills. Hope it works out and we aren't doing this same dance in a few years.

Loved the draft for the most part though. Good stuff whoever was in charge. Plugged some bad holes and really sets up the next draft nicely.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Director of Pro Personnel

We will NOT have a better replacement. No salary cap, pay the man! Sadly, too late too be smart there.

On the topic, how can we be broken while we do not exist? Just more media crap.

It seems to me you would hire a GM, then let him come up with a HC that he can work with. Rather than hire a first year HC and let him pick his boss. That, to me, seems ass backwards and broken. But it is Pegula, and the Bills. Hope it works out and we aren't doing this same dance in a few years.

Loved the draft for the most part though. Good stuff whoever was in charge. Plugged some bad holes and really sets up the next draft nicely.

This concerns me too. The org chart has HC and GM reporting directly to the owner. Looks like a recipe for back-stabbing. I would expect a rookie HC to report to the GM. Will McD have a say in the GM search? Weird dynamic right now IMO.

I remain hopeful. McD has to prove himself but I like his demeanor. By most accounts the draft was a success.

I wonder if the draft would have been as successful had we fired Whaley along with Rex. Presumably we'd have gone the more traditional route of hiring a GM and letting the GM hire the HC. Had we done that maybe we'd wouldn't look "broken" but perhaps at the expense of the draft. If nothing else, any potential GM will love having two first rounders next year.

Edited by LI_Bills

Pegula inherited a championship level defense and a top special teams unit. He screwed it up by hiring Rex and not letting his GM hire his coach. Maybe Marrone knew something and got the hell out.

I agree about the D but I blame its demise on Ryan, not Pegs. Did we ever learn what demand of Marrone's got denied before he quit?

I agree about the D but I blame its demise on Ryan, not Pegs. Did we ever learn what demand of Marrone's got denied before he quit?

Yes, Ryan screwed it up, but Pegula is the one that hired him, not Whaley. Buck stops with him, although he seems to think it stops with Whaley.

I never heard anything out of Marrone as to why he left. Maybe just wanted a $4mm paid vacation.

i thought it was extensions for his assistants and himself. He still had 2 years remaining, as I believe Schwartz did too. Edited by YoloinOhio

I have a hard time believing he thought EJ could be the guy, but don't doubt he considered him a viable candidate in a depth role

That pretty much sums up the last year or two

I give our 'new' owners lots of credit for realizing that Rex wasn't going to lead us to 10 wins anytime soon, and making what looks like in HC SM a solid hire, and eventually moving on from DW

However the same owners deserves heeps of criticism for having made the Rex hire in the first place, for allowing him the freedom to let go of Schwartz, and thereby taking away the entire team's identity, for extending a GM's contract and then firing him too early in the contract, for allowing a DC who hasn't head coached a single game in the NFL final say in a college draft, of which he had very little experience, for implementing a mgmt system media and fans can't understand, for not properly explaining how that system works, and for a complete lack of management continuity

Here's the elephant in the room most fans don't want to admit or discuss, you can keep blaming a series of HC, GM's, Brandon, and other Bills executives for failing to create successful football in NY state, say poor Terry & Kim inherited a mess, just like DW and Rex did, but at some point, its all gonna point back to Terry & Kim, as it just did with Rex and DW, unless things change, and soon, and right now, the future isn't exactly bright, its seems uber-chaotic, and nothing points to winning 10 games this season, continual losing, a lack of continued success, eventually the fans will turn on the owners, because it will rightfully be all their fault, their hires, their moves, their lack of winning, etc

Or we will start winning and everyone will say they made the right moves......

jc

I give our 'new' owners lots of credit for realizing that Rex wasn't going to lead us to 10 wins anytime soon, and making what looks like in HC SM a solid hire, and eventually moving on from DW

However the same owners deserves heeps of criticism for having made the Rex hire in the first place, for allowing him the freedom to let go of Schwartz, and thereby taking away the entire team's identity, for extending a GM's contract and then firing him too early in the contract, for allowing a DC who hasn't head coached a single game in the NFL final say in a college draft, of which he had very little experience, for implementing a mgmt system media and fans can't understand, for not properly explaining how that system works, and for a complete lack of management continuity

Here's the elephant in the room most fans don't want to admit or discuss, you can keep blaming a series of HC, GM's, Brandon, and other Bills executives for failing to create successful football in NY state, say poor Terry & Kim inherited a mess, just like DW and Rex did, but at some point, its all gonna point back to Terry & Kim, as it just did with Rex and DW, unless things change, and soon, and right now, the future isn't exactly bright, its seems uber-chaotic, and nothing points to winning 10 games this season, continual losing, a lack of continued success, eventually the fans will turn on the owners, because it will rightfully be all their fault, their hires, their moves, their lack of winning, etc

Or we will start winning and everyone will say they made the right moves......

jc

Yes Rex was a big mistake. The idea of a " name" HC , which hadn't happened in an eternity under RW's ownership , wasn't a bad one. The hire was bad, and was obviously not a fit with the strength of the team at that time. I do like that T-Pegs realized it earlier than later and made the move to fire Rex. So far( with little to go on ) McD seems like he is doing things the right way. Plenty of time for criticism later. As to the real problems facing the Bills ( needing better players, esp at QB) those haven't changed and are the biggest obstacle to winning ten games anytime soon. Coupled with the presence of Brady in the AFCE. It's a tough row for sure, and is unlikely to get much better until Brady retires or hits the wall hard. McD gave himself a chance to get a QB in 2018 draft. That could be be the new beginning we've been waiting for.

If anyone has a problem with what is transpiring with the Bills FO lately, just think about it like this.........

If you were a new owner of a sports franchise with 17 years of fail behind it, you'd probably step back a little and see how things unfold before you clean house, from the top on down.

The Pegs are putting everyone on notice that no one is safe..........if you can't do your job, then you won't have a job.

I love what i'm seeing these days.

Break up the "old boys club" and start new.

Right. Nothing wrong with evaluating the entire organization and seeing what works and what doesn't before making drastic, sweeping changes.

Plus, they were brand new owners. Seems like it would be hard to just fire everyone immediately. Its not like they have experience running an NFL franchise. Sure, they could rush and hire some czar that the NFL recommended to them. But would you want to do that? Just hire some guy that you don't really know or trust to come in and make all these drastic changes to your organization? I wouldn't. I'd want to take my time, get an idea of how things work in this organization, as well network with other NFl owners/execs and gather as much information as possible on how the best teams are run, then start making changes once I know exactly what I want my organization to look/run like.

I think finding and hiring McDermott is also a big reason for the changes coming now. The Pegula's seem to have finally found someone that they really trust to help them make the necessary changes. They also found a guy with a very clear vision for the Bills from top to bottom, and the courage to make the necessary changes to bring that vision to light.

Yes, Ryan screwed it up, but Pegula is the one that hired him, not Whaley. Buck stops with him, although he seems to think it stops with Whaley.

I never heard anything out of Marrone as to why he left. Maybe just wanted a $4mm paid vacation.

looks like the prospect of working with Whaley was the deciding factor in Marrone's departure

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2017/04/fallout-from-bills-front-office-shakeup-whaley-mcdermott-watkins-gilmore-taylor-ryan-lynn-marrone

Rex Ryan was the darling of Russ Brandon who viewed Rex as a shot in the arm to sell tickets, sponsorship deals etc....

No football guy would bring in a 3-4 defensive coach to take over a Top 5 defense already set up as 4-3.

you want to blame T Pegs for listening to Russ....that's fair. I predict Russ will pay for that one year from now, as he's next on chopping block.

on the surface, Whaley looks weak and got pushed around by Russ and his head coaches. now he pays the price.

T Pegs has observed long enough.....you will see him bring in all his own hand picked people now.

I can see how it would look like dysfunction to the outside world and even some fans but Whaley has been around long enough, no playoffs and we can make a 1,000 excuses why, no winning and changes need to be made, the GM/HC should get 4 seasons.... 1 season to purge the old philosophy, 1 season to put your stamp on things and 2 seasons to try and make the playoffs and beyond.

yep. three more years of suck. i can see the "20 year anniversary" of no playoffs articles being written now...... if they hire a "GM" and put McDermott under him , the guy better be an all star. But all stars don't come to this franchise. So I see more dark clouds once they hire a newby and call him the 'GM". Organizational design is clearly not the hallmark of this franchise.

Edited by jmcraig44