Breer: Bills an organization that is still broken.

JM2009

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/04/30/buffalo-bills-dysfunction-doug-whaley-fired-after-draft-sean-mcdemott-terry-kim-pegula

"After that, there was the decision to bring Taylor back, a move that, as I understand it, went against Whaley’s wishes and played into what new offensive coordinator Rick Dennison wanted. And then there was the departure of E.J. Manuel, who had been stamped as Whaley’s guy inside the building."

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup still broken. Sad to say. Id rather keep Whaley and staff over McDermott and his staff.

What? Based on what exactly? They have had zero success. It was time to make this move. Whaley was a holdover to the Ralph Wilson, Buddy Nix regime. Firing him does not mean the organization is "broken". Just that ownership recognized the need for change and did what they thought was best. Makes perfect sense and I applaud them.

Is it impossible to believe that after vetting candidates and hiring the one they liked best said candidate came in and impressed them with his approach, winning over their confidence and providing a better vision for the future than had previously been displayed by Whaley?

What? Based on what exactly? They have had zero success. It was time to make this move. Whaley was a holdover to the Ralph Wilson, Buddy Nix regime. Firing him does not mean the organization is "broken". Just that ownership recognized the need for change and did what they thought was best. Makes perfect sense and I applaud them.

Right. But according to the media the Bills are broken.

If the new GM works for McDermott, then I think the Bills moves make sense. But this smacks of the typical Russ Brandon half ass maneuver where nothing is synchronized, so it is impossible to hold everyone accountable at once. In three years if McDermott is a failure, the Bills will try to convince fans that the GM can't be held responsible because he didn't hire the coach.

Kind of like having a GM draft a QB, then resign, and then pretend the new GM (who had been assistant GM had no real say over the draft decision).

It would be nice if the Bills just synchronized things and did them in the correct order for a change.

I can see how it would look like dysfunction to the outside world and even some fans but Whaley has been around long enough, no playoffs and we can make a 1,000 excuses why, no winning and changes need to be made, the GM/HC should get 4 seasons.... 1 season to purge the old philosophy, 1 season to put your stamp on things and 2 seasons to try and make the playoffs and beyond.

Just keep Whaley away from anything to do with the salary cap,or the draft,or QBs.There has to be a job out there for him somewhere.

If the new GM works for McDermott, then I think the Bills moves make sense. But this smacks of the typical Russ Brandon half ass maneuver where nothing is synchronized, so it is impossible to hold everyone accountable at once. In three years if McDermott is a failure, the Bills will try to convince fans that the GM can't be held responsible because he didn't hire the coach.

Kind of like having a GM draft a QB, then resign, and then pretend the new GM (who had been assistant GM had no real say over the draft decision).

It would be nice if the Bills just synchronized things and did them in the correct order for a change.

I don't believe the Bills do anything to try to convince fans one way or another. Just don't think they care all that much. It doesn't factor in. Nor should it. Edited by Boatdrinks

The national media was banging the drum for firing Whaley when they fired wrecks so now its not a good idea? Why?

I don't remember that at all and would appreciate a link or three so I can see who these folks were.

That aside...it's one thing to fire your HC and GM at the end of a season. It's quite another to let the GM successfully lead the search for the next HC and oversee all personnel aspects of the entry draft only to fire him the day after the draft's conclusion.

Edited by Cripple Creek