GM Doug Whaley has been fired

I meant after 2 years... after next season, if the Bills haven't improved, you can bet the vultures will begin to circle again.

I could see that but as long as he gets along with Pegs and the players follow him he will be here for awhile.

lets say we go 4 - 12 next then by some miracle trade up for Darnold or maybe Josh Allen or whoever. Now he has a brand new QB which gets him through two years and unless the QB is a total flop like ej he will get two more years to work with the new QB. After that really depends on how we do in the playoffs.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could see that but as long as he gets along with Pegs and the players follow him he will be here for awhile.

lets say we go 4 - 12 next then by some miracle trade up for Darnold or maybe Josh Allen or whoever. Now he has a brand new QB which gets him through two years and unless the QB is a total flop like ej he will get two more years to work with the new QB. After that really depends on how we do in the playoffs.

But there is a lot of talent on the Bills currently. I don't think you'll see 4-12, unless there is a massive string on injuries.

I think saying he will be here a while is a stretch. He will be here as long as he is improving the team.

Gil Brandt was just on sirius, loves McDermott, said Buffalo desperately needed a major culture change

...Marrone tried as he told Brandon he would, but his General Patton approach pissed off Whaley, Brandon, coaches and players.......so despite Pegula offering him a 4 year, $19.6 million dollar extension, he booked with 4 mil rather than fight the "old guard".....I'd bet Doug gave 'ol Syracuse bud Coughlin an earful about the "culture" which may be why Pegula met with Tom....

People criticizing the Pegula's time as owners are justified. Clearly they made mistakes. They are literally paying for those mistakes now.

However, it's clear they have seen something in McDermott that has set the course for both franchises. I don't see this as a random or floundering. I see an owner who finally has enough experience in owning professional teams finally set a course based on their first hand experiences and what they perceive to be an impressive individual like McDermott.

This was how I looked at it when I woke up this morning

This was not done in a vacuum.....people saying why now? Because you need your boots on the ground that have gone through the scouting process for the previous year so you can have a good draft....which brings up the instance to me of where we drafted Brandon Flowers (a complete bust) but I wonder if they actually allowed the GM to make those picks in that era....it seems to me that McD used the work Whaley had already done and made his own picks.

My thoughts this morning.....we have been through 2 failure HC's in the Whaley era and whether they were or were not his fault the GM and HC seem to be tied at the hip in hirings and firings most of the time.....is feel that Doug Whaley is a cracker jack of a talent evaluator in most positions especially on defense.....and they better have a plan in place to replace that level of talent evaluation.

but Whaley seemed to collide sooner or later with every HC that was brought in......GM's and HC's need to walk hand in hand the same direction with clear defined roles.

The next GM needs to not just be a face guy....but a guy that knows how to do all parts of his job well AND work symbiotically with the coaches.

Good luck to Doug....ALWAYS liked you and thought you got an unfair shake in a lot of this....onward and upward

This is the best news about this team in almost twenty years for me!!

Whaley should have been fired right after Terry and Kim bought the team and the only thing that saved him was probably Brandon telling them to give him/them time.

I just hope that Brandon's time with his meddling into the football side of things is also over.

This firing is long overdue and I can only hope going forward that the team hires that senior football adviser/team president that can actually evaluate QB/player talent properly for every position.

Cheers :beer:

The Pegulas did Whaley a favor--he never had a real opportunity to do the job the right way--he was always trying to put out a house fire with a cup of water. I'm sure he'll land on his feet and will hopefully get a chance to be a GM again and to be a GM who actually gets to do the job his way (and has the dumb luck to be in a position to draft a franchise QB instead of a being a stand up guy and backing Buddy's legacy QB).

And, this wasn't a house cleaning--look a little higher up the food chain and you'll notice some people still around who, unlike Whaley, have been here for a lot more of the losing than Whaley.

Also, for those who are so enamored by the prospect of Brandon Beane taking over--take a look at the Panthers' drafts during the last few years, with draft boards he was credited with being heavily involved in setting, and tell me what you think of them:

http://www.panthers.com/team/history/college-draft-history.html#2012

And, take a look at his off-season moves in FA, via trade, etc, and tell me how you they stack up compared to Sheppard for Hughes; (used up) Kiko for (HOF) Shady trades or Gillislee/Zach Brown/Lorax signings

(use the drop down tab to change the seasons to review Panthers' transactions):

http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/transactions/_/name/car/carolina-panthers

Here are some examples from the Panthers own PR machine that tout Beane's best known accomplishments (circa 2015 but look for yourself at last year and this year's moves--equally unimpressive):

"Beane has also been responsible for directing portions of the NFL Draft, including executing trades that netted cornerback Bene Benwikere, wide receiver Devin Funchess and offensive tackle Daryl Williams in the past two years. Beane has played a role in putting together the team's draft board over the past four seasons and participated in the evaluation of collegiate prospects in preparation for the draft."

And with this said, I turn the page. As a Bills' fan, my loyalty to the team is greater than my loyalty to any one person in the organization. I wish McD all of the luck on the world and hope he is the first man in years to be left alone to build a team.

Edited by biggerdaddynj

...Marrone tried as he told Brandon he would, but his General Patton approach pissed off Whaley, Brandon, coaches and players.......so despite Pegula offering him a 4 year, $19.6 million dollar extension, he booked with 4 mil rather than fight the "old guard".....I'd bet Doug gave 'ol Syracuse bud Coughlin an earful about the "culture" which may be why Pegula met with Tom....

This is entirely possible.

Ever heard of Tanking? It's what the Colts did for Luck. Not to mention a lot of the talking heads seem to think 4-12 is a distinct possibility next year. Unless you didn't read their "predictions". If Tyrod continues to trend down next year, and Sammy gets hurt again, I don't see our offense doing much scoring.

I'm pretty sure taylor didn't "trend down" last year. Tyrod haters gonna hate no mater what.

...my guess would be to evaluate the last 17 years of futility and figure out why.....first place IMO would be the patchwork FO and administration over that stretch.....unraveling started with Polian firing as well as Butler for planning to head to SD with AJ (and leaving behind cap jail)...."El Presidente" DonoHOLE was a control freak....he gets fired and we patch with Marv, Brandon, Buddy, etc.....keep in mind that when Pegulas bought the club, there were probably many RW loyalists on staff who had been comfortably entrenched for years.....Kim's first order of business until Marrone's exodus unexpectedly tipped the organization upside down was to conduct a "top to bottom" review of every department and every position at OBD.....but, it was scrapped.....an organization is only as good as its leader(s) and this club has been woefully lacking in a solid FOOTBALL structure run by FOOTBALL people....fix the TOP and good things flow through the ranks..........

Agreed! +++

This is entirely possible.

...just a quick note bud.....this is year 55 for me following the club......posting speculative crap, hypothesis, nonsense, etc for the sake of "my jollies (they're DEAD)" does nothing.....I/we have substantial connections to the club that if I told you how, you would not doubt me, which you can do anyway.....I only provide FACTS as I know them to loyal folks here looking for answers......I respect the REAL football people here......I'll leave the crap to others .............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

We are fine. I am just lamenting the sequence of events which prove something I have been in denial about regarding the organization,

The same here.

NOW I see the DUMPSTER FIRE!