RD 5, Pick 171: Nathan Peterman (QB) - Pitt

They've gotten better. Woods wasn't a loss and can easily be replaced by the FA's they signed, if not Jones. And while Gilmore was a loss, they drafted his replacement, and more importantly the change in scheme will help the secondary out, as will not having a buffoon (or two) running the defense.

Woods is one of three WR's that I've seen that is an amazing blocker. He runs good routes, has good speed, has good hands and can get open. TT missed him on a lot of plays because he took off and ran or just didn't see him. I don't see TT's field vision magically improving, he doesn't process what the defense is doing and rarely call a audible. For a QB that has Shady behind him it is unfortunate that he is a horrid play action passer, probably due to his slow processing ability.

Gilmore was a good CB and Woods was a solid WR, Woods would've put up a lot better numbers in a better passing offense. Time will tell with our rookies but you would think it would take them at least a year or 2 to get to the level of Gilmore and Woods.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woods is one of three WR's that I've seen that is an amazing blocker. He runs good routes, has good speed, has good hands and can get open. TT missed him on a lot of plays because he took off and ran or just didn't see him. I don't see TT's field vision magically improving, he doesn't process what the defense is doing and rarely call a audible. For a QB that has Shady behind him it is unfortunate that he is a horrid play action passer, probably due to his slow processing ability.

Gilmore was a good CB and Woods was a solid WR, Woods would've put up a lot better numbers in a better passing offense. Time will tell with our rookies but you would think it would take them at least a year or 2 to get to the level of Gilmore and Woods.

Woods averaged 4 catches and 47 yards a game last year. He caught one more TD last year than I did. If Jones doesn't do that this year it will be a huge disappointment. Woods was (and is) limited as a receiver.

Woods was an excellent blocker, no doubt. He was a decent route runner when he wasn't stumbling, has average speed and decent hands. He often times actively engaged in blocking before Tyrod decided to run, which forced Tyrod's decision. We will certainly see how well he fares now that he's in an offense that passes more than 28 times per game.

I'd love to see you back up the bolded statement, btw. Here's an excerpt from an article about why NFL Teams should use more play-action.

Relentless play-action wouldn't suit every team-it does require an offensive line that can hold blocks and a QB with a deep touch. But I think Buffalo should consider it. Last year Tyrod Taylor crushed it on play-action, connecting on 69.5 percent of passes for a whopping 18.6 yards per completion, second in the league. This season offensive coordinator Greg Roman was running PA on 23.1 percent of Taylor's pass attempts, but since replacing Roman after Week 2, Anthony Lynn has cut Taylor's play-action usage by a third. Free Tyrod Taylor!

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

Woods averaged 4 catches and 47 yards a game last year. He caught one more TD last year than I did. If Jones doesn't do that this year it will be a huge disappointment. Woods was (and is) limited as a receiver.

Woods was a product of our passing game, which is extremely limited due to our interest in running the ball as much as possible.

2nd in rush attempts.

32nd in pass attempts.

Unless that changes (which I doubt is going to happen), Jones is going to struggle to catch 50 passes as a rookie.

Edited by jrober38

Woods was a product of our passing game, which is extremely limited due to our interest in running the ball as much as possible.

2nd in rush attempts.

32nd in pass attempts.

Unless that changes (which I doubt is going to happen), Jones is going to struggle to catch 50 passes as a rookie.

Woods is just a guy in this league. Outside of his blocking (which is great) he doesn't have one skill that differentiates him. He doesn't have that short area quickness, he doesn't have great speed, he's an okay route runner. People always defended him because he played with heart. He still caught one more TD than me last year.

Woods is the classic guy that Buffalo sports fans love. He's a try hard, blue collar type of limited athlete that we love. Jones is an upgrade now. He caught 399 balls in college. He dominated the senior bowl. He's a guy that makes plays. If he doesn't go by 51 catches, 613 yards receiving and 1 TD it will be a massive disappointment.

The Bills will throw the ball more in Dennison's system. I'm expecting about 35 attempts a game. The gross numbers will go up across the board.

I am sorry for derailing the thread but if people are expecting regression because he Bills lost Woods, that's misguided. Gilmore I will buy but with the caveat that I love Tre White.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Woods is just a guy in this league. Outside of his blocking (which is great) he doesn't have one skill that differentiates him. He doesn't have that short area quickness, he doesn't have great speed, he's an okay route runner. People always defended him because he played with heart. He still caught one more TD than me last year.

Woods is the classic guy that Buffalo sports fans love. He's a try hard, blue collar type of limited athlete that we love. Jones is an upgrade now. He caught 399 balls in college. He dominated the senior bowl. He's a guy that makes plays. If he doesn't go by 51 catches, 613 yards receiving and 1 TD it will be a massive disappointment.

The Bills will throw the ball more in Dennison's system. I'm expecting about 35 attempts a game. The gross numbers will go up across the board.

I am sorry for derailing the thread but if people are expecting regression because he Bills lost Wopds, that's misguided. Gilmore I will buy but with the caveat that I love Tre White.

Assuming a rookie WR is CURRENTLY better than a guy who just signed a 5 year $35 mil contract is quite the leap of faith.

You're setting yourself up to be disappointed. Lesean McCoy and the running game are our bread and butter. We'll continue to run the ball, control the clock and play defense because that's what supports our personnel the best.

Throwing the ball 35 times a game doesn't make any sense with Taylor as the QB, and I say this as someone who thinks Taylor is a pretty good NFL game manager.

Edited by jrober38

Assuming a rookie WR is CURRENTLY better than a guy who just signed a 5 year $35 mil contract is quite the leap of faith.

You're setting yourself up to be disappointed. Lesean McCoy and the running game are our bread and butter. We'll continue to run the ball, control the clock and play defense because that's what supports our personnel the best.

Throwing the ball 35 times a game doesn't make any sense with Taylor as the QB, and I say this as someone who thinks Taylor is a pretty good NFL game manager.

The contract does not auto say how well the player is gonna play......often the free agent is not as meaningful to the team he goes to then the team he leaves. I think with woods we need to wait and see if his groin issues continue to hamper him.....which is gonna make it difficult for him to live up to that contract.

We really dont know what Zay is gonna do yet.....what we really need to see if if Watkins can finally have a healthy season then the rest of it is gravy as we have a LOT of vet receivers to make the other catches.....

35 times a game would rank about 18th and is exactly where Denver was. That's 7 more attempts a game. That will make them much more balanced as they've preached.

I like to fancy myself as a realist on here. Woods isn't that good and a terrible contract. I don't see it as a leap of faith in terms of Zay Jones. He's a very polished and experienced rookie. He averaged over 13 receptions a game last year. I don't know why it's a stretch to think that he can get to 5 here? He's been the same dominant player against good competition as he was against bad. 5 for 60 yards a game or so and 6 TDs feels about right. That's 80 catches for 960 yards and 6 TDs. That may be a little different than I initially put out but that's about what I'd expect.

Woods is the classic guy that Buffalo sports fans love. He's a try hard, blue collar type of limited athlete that we love. Jones is an upgrade now. He caught 399 balls in college.

I have to admit I could see exactly the same post being made in 2-3 years but with Jones replacing Woods. He had great college production but no elite skills jump out. Says all the right things and seems like a hard worker, I just don't see the talent there. I was not happy with the trade up.

I have to admit I could see exactly the same post being made in 2-3 years but with Jones replacing Woods. He had great college production but no elite skills jump out. Says all the right things and seems like a hard worker, I just don't see the talent there. I was not happy with the trade up.

Except he tested better across the board. He's a better athlete. Jones isn't a freak athlete or anything but he's a step up on that end. He feels like the ideal 2nd receiver.

I am sorry for derailing the thread but if people are expecting regression beca reuse he Bills lost Woods, that's misguided.

Zay may be as good or better than Woods, we'll see.

What was misguided IMHO was letting Woods get away. Possibly we may not lose much with Zay as opposed to WOods, but we definitely will as opposed to Zay AND Woods.

Edited by reddogblitz

What was misguided IMHO was letting Woods get away. Possibly we may not lose much with Zay as opposed to WOods, but we definitely will as opposed to Zay AND Woods.

Why? Woods wasn't worth even close to $6.8M/year. And the guys they signed in FA can replace him.

Woods is under one of the worst contracts in the league. Ironically the other WR there is in the same boat. You cannot pay Woods $34M when you can replicate his production for a fraction of the cost. It was an easy decision. Gilmore was a slightly tougher decision but they made the right one there as well.

...now there's a career death knell......Bieber McShay snickered and called Marshawn " a reach of a bust at #12".......

You're cherry-picking. McShay is among the very best college talent evaluators and has been for many years. He wasn't really wrong about Marshawn. We dumped the idiot for a bag of footballs, because his next stupid act would cost him a season.

Zay's ball skills are elite. Caught literally everything thrown at him. ECU fans are excited for him and believe he'll tear it up.

I'm a Bobby Woods fan but I think Zay will provide more of a passing game threat.

Glennon would've been the better pick.

Easily the best QB of that class. He's got a chance to prove himself this year.

Considering how bereft the league is of quality QBs, if Glennon is as good as you say, would he be the journeyman he is?

Considering how bereft the league is of quality QBs, if Glennon is as good as you say, would he be the journeyman he is?

Journeyman? He has only play for one team. He had zero chance in Tampa that was well documented. Hopefully he does well in Chicago and carves out a nice career for himself. That's like calling TT a journeyman.

Journeyman? He has only play for one team. He had zero chance in Tampa that was well documented. Hopefully he does well in Chicago and carves out a nice career for himself. That's like calling TT a journeyman.

He had chances in Tampa.