Bills leaning toward not picking Sammys 5th year option.

MAJBobby

I could be wrong, but I dont think the Bills will pick up the option before hiring a GM. I would think the new GM (whether he/she had full control or not) would want to be present and voice their opinion on roughly 8% of the teams total cap.

Edited by Bill_with_it

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could be wrong, but I dont think the Bills will pick up the option before hiring a GM. I would think the new GM (whether he/she had full control or not) would want to be present and voice their opinion on roughly 8% of the teams total cap.

deadline is today. Also McD is the decision maker imo.

This feels like a no-brainer to me and they are making the wrong decision. You commit to Sammy through next year with the option and go from there. This is not the way to do business with your most talented players.

I understand the injury factor, but that particular foot surgery often needs a second surgery. Afterwards, it is usually not a problem. Mediocre qbs at best, not targeting him enough, and now this. Not smart, imo.

This feels like a no-brainer to me and they are making the wrong decision. You commit to Sammy through next year with the option and go from there. This is not the way to do business with your most talented players.

I agree. They should commit to Sammy on the option. If he has a healthy and productive season then try to work on a long term extension.

I understand the injury factor, but that particular foot surgery often needs a second surgery. Afterwards, it is usually not a problem. Mediocre qbs at best, not targeting him enough, and now this. Not smart, imo.

100% agree with this. Horrible move not to pick up the option. He's worth whatever risk they're trying to hedge.

I disagree. He can't stay on the field so he is not one of our best players. He is one of our most TALENTED players. Do not exercise the option, make him EARN a contract extension. If he says FU, franchise and trade. Simple.

I disagree. He can't stay on the field so he is not one of our best players. He is one of our most TALENTED players. Do not exercise the option, make him EARN a contract extension. If he says FU, franchise and trade. Simple.

Great strategy, don't try to keep your most talented player on O. If the injury checks out, you pick it up.

Does releasing Sammy get us closer to a playoff birth ? Not in my opinion.

they aren't releasing him. They are waiting to see if he is healthy enough to commit to long-term via tag/extension. and they have a lot more info than we do.

If Whaley was still here I'm thinking he would pick it up just so he wouldn't look stupid. We do not know the medical report on the foot. They may also not be comfortable with his approach to rehab. We just don't know.

Question - can't the Bills pick up his 5th year option now, and then rescind it before March, when it becomes guaranteed, if they change their mind? I believe they can IIRC.

I am not sure if they can rescind it if he were to get injured again, though.

Does anyone know for sure how that works?

they aren't releasing him. They are waiting to see if he is healthy enough to commit to long-term via tag/extension. and they have a lot more info than we do.

If Whaley was still here I'm thinking he would pick it up just so he wouldn't look stupid. We do not know the medical report on the foot. They may also not be comfortable with his approach to rehab. We just don't know.

This may have been another of the pieces of ammo that led to Whaley's dismissal. Assuredly, the Bills will not tie themselves to a player just to placate a GM, that gave up too much for him, trying to save face.

I could see if the Bills were debating a long-term extension. There's no risk in a 1 year $12m deal or whatever the option is. If it fails miserably you get the space back the next year. You have a lot of cap space as is. The Bills are handling this wrong.

The Bills should not be worried about looking good. They would rather he perform and stay healthy than get hurt and they "look good" for not picking it up. No one knows the future they can only make the best decision for the team based on what they know now about his foot. If they think there is a decent chance 13 mill could be sitting on IR next year they should not pick it up just to add a year of control. Imo

The worse news here isn't the option, it's his foot. The report was that they were going to pick it up as long as they were comfortable with the assessment from the medical team. Apparently that's not the case.

I'll give you this: if they have real info from the medical team that the foot is not healing properly, he might never be the same, etc., then that changes my reasoning, and the Bills should absolutely decline the option. If it's just a matter of "it's going slow", then I still think it's dumb to decline the option. Every player in the NFL is an injury risk. Sammy is more so than many, yes. But it's very hard in May of 2017 to say that any player, even the most injury-prone, will be unavailable for the whole 2018 season. Even Fred Taylor had 2 straight years of playing all 16 games.

One other point: if the Bills do truly think that there's a serious problem with his foot and that it could impact not just this year but the year after, they should really have invested a lot more in the WR position this offseason. Andre Holmes, rookie Zay Jones, and Philly Brown could be the worst "this is what we expected our top 3 WRs to be" in recent NFL history. I guess Carolina's from the year before they got Benjamin might've been worse.

as far as the trade, no one is left who was involved with it, so no one looks dumb.

When did Russ Brandon leave the team?

I'll give you this: if they have real info from the medical team that the foot is not healing properly, he might never be the same, etc., then that changes my reasoning, and the Bills should absolutely decline the option. If it's just a matter of "it's going slow", then I still think it's dumb to decline the option. Every player in the NFL is an injury risk. Sammy is more so than many, yes. But it's very hard in May of 2017 to say that any player, even the most injury-prone, will be unavailable for the whole 2018 season. Even Fred Taylor had 2 straight years of playing all 16 games.

One other point: if the Bills do truly think that there's a serious problem with his foot and that it could impact not just this year but the year after, they should really have invested a lot more in the WR position this offseason. Andre Holmes, rookie Zay Jones, and Philly Brown could be the worst "this is what we expected our top 3 WRs to be" in recent NFL history. I guess Carolina's from the year before they got Benjamin might've been worse.

When did Russ Brandon leave the team?

sure, Russ looks dumb. Unless he's the coach, GM or owner I'm not sure it matters if he feels dumb that he was there when they made the trade. He was, by default, the approver.

Question - can't the Bills pick up his 5th year option now, and then rescind it before March, when it becomes guaranteed, if they change their mind? I believe they can IIRC.

I am not sure if they can rescind it if he were to get injured again, though.

Does anyone know for sure how that works?

His option has a guarantee in the event of injury, which I believe is a factor in the Bills not exercising it. The guy has been hurt for 3 years running. While he didn't miss time in his first year, he did have some issues on the field.

His option has a guarantee in the event of injury, which I believe is a factor in the Bills not exercising it. The guy has been hurt for 3 years running. While he didn't miss time in his first year, he did have some issues on the field.

That's what I figured. Thanks.