RD 2, Pick 37: Zay Jones (WR) - ECU

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Jones broke the FBS single-season receptions record (158) as a senior, dropping just 6-of-164 catchable targets. While Jones lived on bubble screens and quick hitters and averaged only 10.7 yards per catch, he showed elite athleticism with a 94th-percentile SPARQ score and 4.45 speed at the Combine. Albeit not quite as big, Jones profiles similarly to Eagles WR Jordan Matthews as a slot-Z chain mover with more reliable hands."

6 drops out of 164 targets. Wow talk about hands.

Lots of good WR left. Why give up that extra 3rd? What a dummy

You clearly don't think Zay is worth the move up, but nobody will know for a long time until the games are played. But for me, I think this kid and Corey Davis will be the only two elite receivers to come from this draft.

He is perfectly built for the job, tall but strong, durable, serious blocker, great hands, good character. Got a big catch radius and can get separation.

Love this pick.

4th, behind Williams, Davis and Ross

You are indeed correct (I myself misspoke, shame on me), though I know I never wanted Ross as our pick at WR because we wanted more size (to realize Buddy's dream of having a WR "who was open even when he was covered") not a smaller, injury risk WR with track star speed (because everyone knows size matters, right ladies )--and I know Ross is much more than a track guy who happens to play football, he's a guy Al Davis would take with a top five pick over a franchise QB or bookend LT.

I don't think he lacks vertical push. It just wasn't a part of his college offense.

That was Mayock's point--he essentially said Zay used the draft process (Senior Bowl, Combine, etc.) to show he was more than originally viewed--said he and Reddick were the two who made most of draft process.