If Bills Don't Get A Franchise QB In 2018

The 49ers, Browns and Jets should all be worse than the Bills in 2018, and if the QB class is as good as people say, no way are any of them trading down or not selecting a QB. This doesn't even include a wild card like the Chargers, who if they stink it up in 2018, may also be looking for a QB, and move on from Rivers. Here's hoping there are more than 3 QB's who can be looked at as "franchise" QB's.

[edited]If Bortles doesn't take a big step forward in 2017, you can throw the Jags into the mix also.

Edited by LabattBlue

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 49ers, Browns and Jets should all be worse than the Bills in 2018, and if the QB class is as good as people say, no way are any of them trading down or not selecting a QB. This doesn't even include a wild card like the Chargers, who if they stink it up in 2018, may also be looking for a QB, and move on from Rivers. Here's hoping there are more than 3 QB's who can be looked at as "franchise" QB's.

Even 2004 that was the best of the last 20 years only had 3 guys. The 4th was JP Losman.

This is what a real GM is all about. Seeing the future and planing for it. listen to how he values the QB position. If your honest you will see we have a lot of problems in Buffalo. Watch it and learn

http://www.chiefs.com/media-center/videos/John_Dorsey_Confident_in_Choice_of_Patrick_Mahomes_II/32100dc7-55ac-476f-a128-51f0998d6c5d

We had our chance to draft a franchise QB last night. But the Chiefs stole him from us. See video above on what a real GM looks like

what if TT goes back to 7th rated QB like in 2015 ??

Gee I'd love to have some of that stuff you are smoking....

Oh no, whoever has a top 3 pick will gladly trade it to us because we have an extra first now.

They will gladly pass on these supposedly super exciting QB prospects for a couple of mid to late round 1sts

So there is some intelligent life out there...

I just want to be ahead of the curve and be ready for next winter, so:

2019 is a FAR better class...

And don't forget the other excuse - "But there are other holes that need to be filled"...

Bills want to make me think they are trying to be good this season they should trade that 1st round pick they got next season and Tyrod to Washington for KCousins.

How bout... TT + Both 2018 1st rd picks and our 2019 1st for Cousins... That's one that they might think about...

IF the top QBs are so great why would any team trade away the chance to draft them?

You could offer me 10 1st round picks and I wouldn't trade the chance to draft Manning Rogers or Brady.

Peyton Manning was a first round #1 choice.

Rogers was picked 24th overall in the first round

Brady was picked in the sixth round compensatory pick at #199, and was Bledsoe's back up.

The six QB's selected ahead of him:

Chad Pennington (Jets)

Giovanni Carmazzi (49ers)

Chris Redman (Ravens)

Tee Marin (Steelers)

Mark Bulger (Saints)

Spergon Wynn (Browns)

tom-brady.jpg

How bout... TT + Both 2018 1st rd picks and our 2019 1st for Cousins... That's one that they might think about...

Looks like you already have been smoking plenty. Oh my god you are going to criticize the Bills and THIS is your intelligent plan? This is why fans don't run the NFL.

This is what a real GM is all about. Seeing the future and planing for it. listen to how he values the QB position. If your honest you will see we have a lot of problems in Buffalo. Watch it and learn

http://www.chiefs.com/media-center/videos/John_Dorsey_Confident_in_Choice_of_Patrick_Mahomes_II/32100dc7-55ac-476f-a128-51f0998d6c5d

We had our chance to draft a franchise QB last night. But the Chiefs stole him from us. See video above on what a real GM looks like

Dude....seriously, you're on a campaign....this is what the 4th time you've posted the same thing in various threads? C'mon...let it go. The franchise did not just devolve into oblivion because of a Mahomes pick that even the great Andy Reid has said is not ready. KC has a ready team to win without sacrificing the QB this year...let it go.

why would anyone be complaining about this draft already

and There could be 5 teams who need a QB in the top 10 but 5 of those teams will not.

We have 2 1st rds next year and who is to say we don't trade our 2019 1st as well to move up for a top QB if we feel there is a stud worth the price.

I have to agree can some Bills fans actually sink any lower in there whine fest dujour

It will prove that this was a GIGANTIC failure of a move. In a draft where CB was one of the deepest positions, the Bills had a chance to land the BEST of the bunch. Then, at 27, the Bills also decided that picking the 6th or 7th best CB was better than fixing the right side of the line for good.

The Bills organization has failed to make the right decisions for so long that it is tough to put any faith that they will turn that extra first rounder into the franchise QB that has been lacking for so many years. If they pull it off next year, this will be the best move ever. Until that actually happens and they get their guy, I have a hard time believing that this trade down will pay off.

What I don't understand is that by making that move last night, it clearly states that this is a rebuilding year (as if we didn't already know that). If that truly is the case, why the hell is Kyle Williams (and to a lesser extent Shady) still here. Why not make THIS year the one where they go all in to fix the problem? As it stands right now, Browns Jets and and Bills will all be looking to get their guy in 2018. If the Bills miss out by overachieving to that 7-9 record again, they will most assuredly look like they messed up yet another draft in a long line of them.

You talk as if we haven't made one single good decision for the last decade...

So there is some intelligent life out there...

And don't forget the other excuse - "But there are other holes that need to be filled"...

I would make that trade all day long. Cousins has everything you need in a QB and Washington would be crazy to even make that trade....unless they think they are on the verge of 2-14 without him

It will prove that this was a GIGANTIC failure of a move. In a draft where CB was one of the deepest positions, the Bills had a chance to land the BEST of the bunch. Then, at 27, the Bills also decided that picking the 6th or 7th best CB was better than fixing the right side of the line for good.

The Bills organization has failed to make the right decisions for so long that it is tough to put any faith that they will turn that extra first rounder into the franchise QB that has been lacking for so many years. If they pull it off next year, this will be the best move ever. Until that actually happens and they get their guy, I have a hard time believing that this trade down will pay off.

What I don't understand is that by making that move last night, it clearly states that this is a rebuilding year (as if we didn't already know that). If that truly is the case, why the hell is Kyle Williams (and to a lesser extent Shady) still here. Why not make THIS year the one where they go all in to fix the problem? As it stands right now, Browns Jets and and Bills will all be looking to get their guy in 2018. If the Bills miss out by overachieving to that 7-9 record again, they will most assuredly look like they messed up yet another draft in a long line of them.

If a draft is "deep" at a particular position, that means that getting the best one is actually less important than usual, and getting one of the next few is actually a better idea than usual. There are also no guarantees pertaining to exactly how good White is in comparison to his draft peers. Every team has different boards, with different systems, different criteria, different grades. Most independent services had White between 15-30 overall. All of those are just projections. White could end up as the best or the worst CB in this class. But he seems to be a good value at a well-known position of need according to the information available at the time the decision was made.

The proposed alternative, "Fixing the right side of the line for good," is an arbitrary fixation. There is no guarantee that Ramcyzk, Robinson, or any other OT would actually "fix it for good." Nor has it been established that doing so would be more important than addressing the need in the secondary. There is also no guarantee that Mahomes, Watson, or any other QB will turn out to be a franchise QB. If there were, they would all have been taken in the top-5 picks. Regardless of whatever careers they turn out to have, there is no guarantee that they would have had an equivalent career in Buffalo. All that happened yesterday was that teams that could afford (KC, Houston, by the virtue of their already strong rosters) to take chances on those QBs, did.

Trading down doesn't make any sort of statement about this year, all it means is that they thought this was an incredibly good value (and it was). People need to stop trying to hard to construct narratives. When we traded up for Watkins, people couldn't shut up about how that stated we were "all in" or in "win now mode." Which of course was bull ****.

Edited by SoFFacet

In 2018 AJ McCarron will be a RFA and Garoppolo a UFA

Teddy Bridgewater did not have his 5th year option picked up for 2018, bad injury though

Jesus Christ

what if TT goes back to 7th rated QB like in 2015 ??

Are we looking at total QBR, TPC, YAC, ability to come back when down by 4+ points, rushing yards by a QB? I'm curious as to what stats we will use to cherry pick his greatness....

I had him at about 3 behind the 2 OSU guys (one of whom was accused of rape). Who are the 5 or 6 guys did you have ahead of him (or were you just using hyperbole to try to get your point across)? This guy had him at 2 (as did PFF): http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/nfl-draft-2017-position-rankings-cornerbacks-marshon-lattimore-ohio-state-tre-davious-white/4wgysfu95gen16qacm0inqvvw

I don't think that this is a rebuilding type of move at all. White is a day 1 starter with a ton of experience and high character. He doesn't have Lattimore's ceiling but he is one of the most NFL ready guys in the draft. He is a high floor, medium ceiling type of prospect IMO. I think that he starts in the league for a long, long time.

Totally reasonable for Bills fans to start lamenting the 2018 pick now.

Also totally reasonable for the other half of Bills fans to continue to believe that TT is going to amount to anything and fail to understand how important a good QB is. Maybe he will finally develop by the time he is 30; he has only been in the league 5 years and starting for 2. Maybe he might be the next Rich Gannon

In a draft where CB was one of the deepest positions, the Bills had a chance to land the BEST of the bunch.

You know that is the complete opposite of what you are supposed to do right? If the separation between the #1 CB and the #5CB is not very much because the talent level is deep at the position then the value is to trade back, still get a really good CB and pick up extra picks.

Peyton Manning was a first round #1 choice.

Rogers was picked 24th overall in the first round

Brady was picked in the sixth round compensatory pick at #199, and was Bledsoe's back up.

The six QB's selected ahead of him:

Chad Pennington (Jets)

Giovanni Carmazzi (49ers)

Chris Redman (Ravens)

Tee Marin (Steelers)

Mark Bulger (Saints)

Spergon Wynn (Browns)

tom-brady.jpg

Everybody does understand this point; different time and era for the game...I used to feel that way to; I changed my opinion on that