Wade Phillips: New book

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if there's a chapter on standing on the sidelines with a look of total befuddlement after something bad happens.

Easily the best since Marv. There isn't even 2nd place. Hope the new guy is good.

Not the most charismatic personality, but something useful churned in his mind.

I wonder if there is a chapter on Ronnie Jones. If you follow Ronnie Jones career it is amazingly, astonishingly bad as he basically ruined any unit or team he coached.

And thanks to him, we entered the dark ages, from which we have yet to emerge.

Maybe he didn't sell himself well during interviews. Some with great resumes and background flop totally, he might be the type if the panel wasn't 100% sold before it started.

Rex would be hammering a big bass drum and Rob clashing cymbals to boast about themselves during theirs.

• 4 weeks later...

I was almost going to start a new thread for this, but I remembered about using the search function first... Didn't want to get in trouble! lol j/k

Vic Carucci just finished his 3rd (of 3) excerpts on Wade Phillips book "Son of Bum". It is well worth a read. Here are the links to all 3 parts, and just a few excerpts I found interesting (especially the one about Wade reporting directly to Ralph Wilson and working hand in hand with John Butler to pick players) -

http://buffalonews.com/2017/05/05/defensive-plan-91-afc-title-game-plenty-convince-bills-hire-phillips/

http://buffalonews.com/2017/05/12/phillips-negotiating-ralph-wilson-went-beyond-contracts/

http://buffalonews.com/2017/05/19/phillips-dealing-quarterback-change-wrong-kind-miracle/

'Bruce was so quick and so athletic. What he did really well was just bend, getting low enough that even as tall as he was at six foot four, he could beat a guy around the corner before the guy could get his feet in front of him. He could just go under their hands. They’d try punching at him and he’d duck and go around them.

It was like watching an Olympic runner going around the curve perfectly and then running down the straightaway right to the quarterback.'

'Ralph gave me the additional title of vice president of football operations. He wanted me to answer directly to him rather than the GM.

That wasn’t a problem with John. We worked great together on everything – picking the roster, drafting players, signing free agents.'

'They said we had a divided locker room, with some the older guys wanting Doug to start and the younger guys being behind Rob. I didn’t think it was that big of a deal, but the media obviously did.

Ralph picked a side as well after we played Washington in our last preseason game that summer. Flutie played and drove us the length of the field at the end of the game for the winning points. Afterward, Ralph came up to me in the training room, with lots of people around us, and said, “This Flutie, we’ve got to get rid of him. He can’t play!”

“Mr. Wilson, he took us on a ninety-nine-yard drive for a touchdown to win the game,” I said.

“I don’t care, I don’t care. He ran the ball, he was running with it sometimes".

"But that’s what it takes. That’s the great thing about him. He can make plays whether he’s throwing it or running with it or pitching it out to somebody or anything.”

“Oh, I don’t like him.”

".... Then, Bruce DeHaven, our special-teams coach who had been with the Bills a long time, came up to me and said, “You want to kick it deep?”

“Yeah,” I said.

He came up with another suggestion. “Why don’t we bloop kick it?”

“Oh, okay

'But what we did was completely the opposite, because we blooped it down the middle. Lorenzo Neal caught Steve’s kick and handed off to Frank Wycheck, who threw the ball across the field to Kevin Dyson who ran down the sidelines 75 yards for a touchdown. The officials said it was a legal lateral, but I was standing right across from where Wycheck threw the ball and I know it was an illegal forward pass.

I said, “Well, they’re going to call it back, because we’ve got instant replay.” In fact, I was so sure they would overturn it, I was thinking ahead to the clock needing to be reset to when the penalty occurred. I figured that would still only leave them enough time for one play, so we needed to get our prevent defense ready.

When the official came back and said, “The ruling on the field stands,” I just lost it. I took off my headset and threw it on the ground. All the air just went out of me.

“Oh, God,” was the only thing I could say.'

...Wade has ALWAYS been a class act and a helluva coach.....possibly not HC material but his DC prowess is unquestioned.....who else has a daddy named "Bum"??....Ralph jerking him around with the "you quit...no you fired me" BS to save money was rightfully overruled by an arbitrator and Wade was awarded his pay, a whopping $800K as a HC....beerman money today......Elway letting him go and not hiring Kyle are certainly head scratchers for me in 2017................

http://www.wgr550.com/media/audio-channel/05-12-former-bills-head-coach-wade-phillips-john-murphy-showmp3

John Murphy interviewed him on WGR and its easy to root for that good ol' boy who is honoring his Dad.

I saved the ticket from his inaugural game as Bills Coach - like it was said above - not flashy but Wade gets the NFL schemes and wow - we were so close that last year...