ESPN Layoffs

plenzmd1

Yup, who needs a 30 second intro before every sport hi-lite reel "you just know when the Yankees and Red Sox meet, they are here to play baseball!!!! And YES VIRGINIA they came to play baseball, as you knew they would!!!"

And the irony is I get every game in every sport and I watch less than when I was restricted to local and weekend national broadcasts.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's hard for me to feel bad about a reporter losing his job, when any one of us common folk can lose ours in any single moment.

Layoffs at ESPN?...........suck it up, buttercup.

Welcome to the real world.

It's hard for me to feel bad about a reporter losing his job, when any one of us common folk can lose ours in any single moment.

It was such a great thing when it started for us in the 1980s, then grew into something trying to compete with services that are faster, more efficient and way cheaper.

So there's a bit of nostalgic wistfulness in those of us who remember how much it blew when the only thing we could get was Marv's Wild and Wacky segments on Letterman.

Bad?

jw :flirt:

Not at all - it is entirely true. I haven't watched ESPN in years. It's like no music on MTV, lack of history on the history channel, absence of leaning on the learning channel, no cooking on foodtv, no news on foxnews etc...

That being said some good people lost jobs - Jayson Stark is one who like liked...

Edited by Reed83HOF

It's a disgrace that Stephen A Smith still has a job while legit reporters are losing theirs. I'm sure it's been said in this thread already but I'll pile on.

....and he's there for the long haul....get the distinct impression this clown would play the race card in a nanosecond and file a discrimination lawsuit if canned.....

its the end of the world as we know it

According to Sports Illustrateds Richard Deitsch, Bayless signed a four-year deal with Fox that would pay him $5.5 million annually with a $4 million signing bonus. Deitsch reported in November that ESPN was going to offer Bayless $4 million per year.

After reviewing the latest list, the only one I'm a little upset about is Jayson Stark. I like Danny Kanell when he called into Mike and Mike. But Stark was really solid, IMO. Now we're left with that nasally, whiny Kurkjian twerp.

no schit

....and he's there for the long haul....get the distinct impression this clown would play the race card in a nanosecond and file a discrimination lawsuit if canned.....

of course you do.

This is the problem...ESPN gets way too much from each subscriber, they pay outrageous salaries and benefits to their on air personalities as a result....but now the party is coming to an end. Look at the chart in the link...

http://www.businessinsider.com/cable-satellite-tv-sub-fees-espn-networks-2017-3

ESPN is expected to have another round of layoffs over the next four months. This comes amidst a dwindling subscriber base that has seen ESPN lose 12 million subscribers in just the six years.

Despite the loss in subscribers, ESPN is just as popular as ever, if not more, and we can see this in their monthly subscriber fees. ESPN now charges $7.21 per subscriber, by far the most expensive cable network, and up 54% from what they were charging in 2011, when it cost $4.69 per subscriber. And that is just for ESPN's main network.

If we look at sports networks available in more than 50% of cable and satellite TV homes, $9.06 of each monthly bill goes to ESPN's top four networks (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, SEC Network), whether the customer watches those networks or not, according to data from SNL Kagan (via Sports TV Ratings). The Fox Sports family of networks (FS1, FS2, Big Ten Network) are the next most expensive, with customers paying $1.86 each month for those networks combined. The stand-alone NFL Network is the only other sports entity charging more than $1.00 per month.

Edited by mattynh