ESPN Layoffs

plenzmd1

I liked Jay Crawford too. He felt like a likable guy in the morning. I don't need to wake up to Stephen A. yelling. Let me ease into my day.

Also, I'm kind of bothered that everyone is thanking ESPN for their time there. I'd thank my colleagues and drop the middle finger emoji to Bristol.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked Jay Crawford too. He felt like a likable guy in the morning. I don't need to wake up to Stephen A. yelling. Let me ease into my day.

Also, I'm kind of bothered that everyone is thanking ESPN for their time there. I'd thank my colleagues and drop the middle finger emoji to Bristol.

The guys who have been there 15+ years then get shown the door with a 3 minute meeting is just brutal.

The Ringer (clearly biased of course) and a little piece about when Howie Schwab (Stump the Schwab) was laid off a few years ago. He had been there for 23 years. He talked about how management had left him in limbo for months, refusing to answer any questions. Basically, the people being let go today aren't having a bad day, this is the end of bad months for them.

The guys who have been there 15+ years then get shown the door with a 3 minute meeting is just brutal.

The Ringer (clearly biased of course) and a little piece about when Howie Schwab (Stump the Schwab) was laid off a few years ago. He had been there for 23 years. He talked about how management had left him in limbo for months, refusing to answer any questions. Basically, the people being let go today aren't having a bad day, this is the end of bad months for them.

Just awful and the corporate machine at its worst.

ESPN needs to lay off Michael and Jamele on Sportscenter and Stephen A. Smith. They should be unloading quality like Werder and keeping the ones I mentioned around.

Meant to say: they shouldn't be unloading quality like Werder

Garbage channel. The screaming morons with "hot takes" and the hot young and intellectually devoid female "reporters" make it unwatchable. ESPN went for the young population, forgetting that the older, professional, gainfully employed population is where the money is at.

/thread.

Other than a live game (which is rare) or an occasional 30 for 30, I find no reason to ever watch that channel.

How much time should they spend delivering a 3 minute message? Especially with 100 of them to get through.

I've seen layoff day several times in several different companies, and from both sides of the equation. Been laid off and been the person tapping shoulders and saying "hey, can we chat?" when everyone knows what that means.

There's no reason or benefit for either party to dragging things out once the die is cast.

No kidding! I change the channel when he starts yelling at me. If I wanted to be yelled at I'd be a high school basketball referee!

Simmons leaving was the beginning of the end....

I've had friends (who thought they were in high places) dumped with an email or phone call 2 minutes after they said goodnight to the person who then called them...

ESPN needs to lay off Michael and Jamele on Sportscenter and Stephen A. Smith. They should be unloading quality like Werder and keeping the ones I mentioned around.

Meant to say: they shouldn't be unloading quality like Werder

....this azzclown is a spittin' image of and just as obnoxious as 'ol George Jefferson..........maybe NFLN picks up Werder & Dilfer......won't bother saying who they should replace.............

Not sure to put this here or OTW, but first cut is a football guy.

Ed Werder is being let go. One of the best guys there I thought. Shame to see a quality reporter like Ed get cut, but the chuckleheads at TBN like Sully, Bucky and Harrington are protected by a guild.

Sad days when anyone loses their job over changing economy and business models.

maybe they can replace some of the hacks at the news

They killed their own product by putting all their guys on twitter. All I have to do for sports news now is open up my phone and boom. I get everything I need in 15 seconds. For my Bills news I have WGR and this website. There is no need for ESPN. All I use them for is the app so I can quickly look at scores.

What they SHOULD do is carry NATIONALLY APPEALING EVENTS such as USMNT games (I know everyone doesn't follow soccer, but that is something that more people will enjoy and I bet will be willing to watch than obscure shows about NOTHING) or maybe, IDK, the freaking El Clasico - which was AMAZING, and I'm sure non-soccer fans would've gotten hooked - watching two of the world's best going back and forth. Fox Sports 1 is killing it with their soccer programming and they are trending upwards. ESPN has become so repetitive. Its 8 different shows with the same guests, covering the same topics. Our boys are currently qualifying for a World Cup spot and the team actually has some respectable talent that plays with the big boys. Put them on the damn TV.

Edited by Elite Poster