TG on Whaley & McD sounds to be in charge update

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McDermott has an awful lot of power for a first time HC...

That said, there have been rumors of "issues" with the front office ever since Marrone was here. Marrone and Whaley had their blowup at training camp in front of everyone, which probably means things were simmering behind the scenes. Maybe that's why Marrone opted out as well once the plan to bring his buddy Polian in as Czar failed.

The common denominator is Whaley. Maybe he finally came up against a coach who the owner loves and thus he finds himself on the outside looking in.

That said, there have been rumors of "issues" with the front office ever since Marrone was here. Marrone and Whaley had their blowup at training camp in front of everyone, which probably means things were simmering behind the scenes. Maybe that's why Marrone opted out as well once the plan to bring his buddy Polian in as Czar failed.

The common denominator is Whaley. Maybe he finally came up against a coach who the owner loves and thus he finds himself on the outside looking in.

maybe the common denominator is two poor coaches

maybe the common denominator is two poor coaches

nox, whaley, russ and the scouts passed on 4 franchise qbs. And picked one qb who cant throw a ten yard out in ej and another who we kno nothing about but lost his starting job in college, instead of getting dak who was a starter in college and had good success.

This is why they are getting fired

A pattern formed. The current fo has no clue in getting a legit qb...

The oakland game was the final straw

Edited by Watkins_deep

I thought it was the other way around. Polian himself said that Marrone leaving was a big reason he decided not to come back here. He said it went from being a fun gig to a lot more heavy lifting, which he wasn't interested in doing.

Marrone approached the new owners about wanting more power and control of the roster. The Pegulas said no. Marrone cashed in on his option.

The Pegulas fell head over heels for Rex's song and dance. They could have given him more control with a "big time" coach coming in. They didnt.

Whaley gave both coaches plenty of talent to work with and to develop. Neither coach could hold up their end of the bargain, let alone deal with player personnel.

After Rex was fired, the Pegulas made it clear that Whaley would lead the search. While they didnt give him final say, why would they let him lead the search if they thought he might be on his way out?

Are folks really convinced the Pegulas allowed themselves to again fall too quickly in love with a coach, to the point they are going to fire their GM?

Some scouts, sure. Didnt they hire some Rex scouts?

I guess we'll see soon enough. But TBN guys havent been right or broken a single story yet, I can't believe they'll be right here.

I thought it was the other way around. Polian himself said that Marrone leaving was a big reason he decided not to come back here. He said it went from being a fun gig to a lot more heavy lifting, which he wasn't interested in doing.

..Marrone made his own bed with his "culture change idea" as a dictatorial General Patton which pissed off players, coaches AND OBD brass.....with mutiny on the horizon, he took his $4 mil and ran despite Terry offering him a 4 year, $19.6 mil extension...Pegula himself crafted the czar/czarina/Russian bride concept with Polian coming in to train Kim to be the Prez....."it's her baby" Terry told inner circles.....at the same time, Schwartz said if that was to happen. "I'll just resign, I have plenty to live on (2 yrs remaining from Lions)"........no sense in Polian at 65+ stomaching the upheaval and turmoil known as OBD.....stay in the booth and avoid ulcers..........

Marrone approached the new owners about wanting more power and control of the roster. The Pegulas said no. Marrone cashed in on his option.

The Pegulas fell head over heels for Rex's song and dance. They could have given him more control with a "big time" coach coming in. They didnt.

Whaley gave both coaches plenty of talent to work with and to develop. Neither coach could hold up their end of the bargain, let alone deal with player personnel.

After Rex was fired, the Pegulas made it clear that Whaley would lead the search. While they didnt give him final say, why would they let him lead the search if they thought he might be on his way out?

Are folks really convinced the Pegulas allowed themselves to again fall too quickly in love with a coach, to the point they are going to fire their GM?

Some scouts, sure. Didnt they hire some Rex scouts?

I guess we'll see soon enough. But TBN guys havent been right or broken a single story yet, I can't believe they'll be right here.

I think the press believes if they spin up enough smoke and B.S. it might just catch fire.

Not that I particularly care for Whaley. I don't see it happening.

But is it unprecedented, Mr. C?

By the way, how does it leave the Bills in a bad position? The draft will be over, they've got time to hire a new GM and scouts, and further roster moves aside from UDFA signings are minimal.

Further roster moves are not minimal. That is what Whaley excelled at. If Whaley had been fired in January no complaints from me. Firing him now would be dysfunctional and in my view unprecedented but if you want to include all the GMs that left the teams after the draft that's fine, it still isn't common under these circumstances. If McDermott is secretly leading the draft I don't like that all. What is his scouting background? He's only been with us for a couple months, he's gone through all our scouting reports (from our soon to be fired scouts) and made determinations from that, or what?

Further roster moves are not minimal. That is what Whaley excelled at. If Whaley had been fired in January no complaints from me. Firing him now would be dysfunctional and in my view unprecedented but if you want to include all the GMs that left the teams after the draft that's fine, it still isn't common under these circumstances. If McDermott is secretly leading the draft I don't like that all. What is his scouting background? He's only been with us for a couple months, he's gone through all our scouting reports (from our soon to be fired scouts) and made determinations from that, or what?

Agreed it would be more dysfunction, and still bad timing with free agency and June 1 coming up.

Additionally, do we really think the Pegulas can pull off rebuilding TWO professional sports front offices at the same time over the next 60 days?

Edited by DrDareustein

Scouts maybe. Overdorf maybe although he did OK with restructuring of Clay and keeping guys like Hughes and Dareus. But if they fire Whaley after spending time ever since McD got hired taking about how well they work together, then I would have to conclude the owners and McD lied. And that is not a good thing for the organization at all.

Speaking of Jim Overdorf...

I believe last year was his 30th season with the Buffalo Bills. IIRC he was hired in 1986. That is a crazy long time for an NFL job.

Joe BuscagliaVerified account @JoeBuscaglia 49m49 minutes ago

More

Report: #Bills scouts believe they're being fired after the draft. What does that mean for GM Whaley? Full thoughts:

When asked about the report, the Bills gave 7ABC the same statement as was originally given to Florio:

Right now, our focus is on the preparation for this weeks draft. Like every year, evaluations of our player personnel staff take place following the draft. And this year will be no different.

If the Bills blow up their front office AFTER the draft my faith in this franchise will be at an all time low.

If that's the plan, it should have been done months ago. Not AFTER the draft.

Couldn't disagree more.

Your current scouts have put in months and -- in many cases -- YEARS of work scouting these players. You don't throw all of that out by firing everyone. Not only is it a waste of tons of intel, it also allows those scouts to find work elsewhere and bring the hard work they did on your company dime to another team. Your draft preferences, strategies, etc.

It is far, FAR more logical to fire a front office AFTER a draft than to throw away all of their work and ask a brand new front office to speed-scout an entire draft in 3 months.

To quote Joe Buscaglia: "If you unload the general manager and scouting staff in January, especially after they've just concluded a season's worth of work on all the prospects you're considering for the NFL Draft, your trade secrets are no longer put away with a lock and key. Unfortunately, the more prudent business decision is to let them go just after the draft is over -- especially if there isn't a GM-in-waiting that can keep the whole staff calm in the interim."

Edited by Logic