Pats sign Gillislee to offer sheet

I didn't say it was much. But with a draft pick, it's part of what they get.

The pats didn't steal anything. We did what they do, a lot. But some here complain about everything.

If this situation was reversed, we'd be idiots for overpaying a 6 carry back.

No.

That signing is still totally baffling to me.

Did you think Whales cared about a third round pick? I'm afraid he lost his will to GM this team after Pegula vetoed re-signing EJ.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd rather MG then Vlad Ducasse.

The guy blows and we gave him a pretty wealthy contract.

Line is a much bigger need, and the pickins at guard are much more slim.

Love MG, but we overrate him a bit. He can be replaced with a late rounder, and likely without much drop off.

So if we had let him leave for nothing you would have been okay with it? I'll take the free 5th rounder from a division rival in exchange for a backup RB. It's insane to me that everyone else wouldn't take the same thing.

No. I wanted him tendered at second. That's staying not leaving.

No. I wanted him tendered at second. That's staying not leaving.

I will never agree that a backup RB with one year of good production is worth more than an additional draft pick. I'm not a huge Whaley fan but this was played exactly right. We are getting a free 5th round pick. I'll be pissed if we end up matching the offer but I don't expect we will.

I will never agree that a backup RB with one year of good production is worth more than an additional draft pick. I'm not a huge Whaley fan but this was played exactly right. We are getting a free 5th round pick. I'll be pissed if we end up matching the offer but I don't expect we will.

It's costing us a player, so it's not free. And he had two years of good production.

Hopefully our 5th round pick is more Kyle Williams and less Cyril Richardson, Jonathan Meeks, Jonathan Williams, Tank Carder, Johnny White, Ed Wang, Nic Harris, Alvin Bowen.

No.

Did you think Whales cared about a third round pick? I'm afraid he lost his will to GM this team after Pegula vetoed re-signing EJ.

I think many facets of the personnel approach they've taken this offseason have been ill-advised.

- I would never have been in the Ricky Wagner running for $9M/year.

- I'd have taken a different course with Gillislee

- I never would've gone near Ducasse

- I would've tried to focus on cap casualties like Bethea etc to take advantage of the comp pick formula

Not saying I'm right and Whaley's wrong, but I haven't really liked the general path this offseason...that's not to say that some of the signings haven't been good ones.

on buffalobills.com:

Corry weighs in on Gillislee offer sheet

On Tuesday afternoon the New England Patriots signed Bills RB Mike Gillislee to a two-year offer sheet worth a reported $6.4M with a $4M figure in the first year of the deal. Its a deal former NFL agent and CBSSports.com NFL analyst Joel Corry doesnt see Buffalo matching.

Corry, in an appearance on the John Murphy Show, said that the Patriots, like any other team, tried to make the deal cost prohibitive to match.

You always do that, said Corry. Thats what the Bills did to get Charles Clay from Miami as a transition player. The Bills had a balloon payment in the second year so Miami couldnt match. You do it by design where you front load them or put a lot of guaranteed money in there to discourage the team from matching the offer.

When asked if he thought it would be wise for the Bills to match the Gillislee offer sheet, Corry doesnt believe it makes sense.

No, I think that ship has sailed, said Corry.

The Bills would add a fifth-round pick to their current lot of six draft choices in the 2017 draft if they ultimately choose not to match. In a draft that is uncommonly deep, including the running back position, perhaps it was Buffalos intent to have another team try to sign Gillislee in the hopes of adding another draft choice.

It would give Buffalo three fifth-round picks next week.

Great point Except the deal is not even close to being cost prohibitive. If the Bills don't match it, it's because they don't want to keep him.

It's costing us a player, so it's not free. And he had two years of good production.

Hopefully our 5th round pick is more Kyle Williams and less Cyril Richardson, Jonathan Meeks, Jonathan Williams, Tank Carder, Johnny White, Ed Wang, Nic Harris, Alvin Bowen.

We would have had to lose the player anyways. I don't think we ever planned on paying Gillislee $3 million a year or whatever to be our backup. By placing the tender we got something out of it, and it just so happens we took it away from our division rival. Seriously I couldn't care less about Gillislee on the Pats, that doesn't scare me at all. I'll take their 5th rounder. It is a good deal for us.

jwilliams is already a bust? Damn that sucks, so now we need a 2nd and 3rd string rb

A stop gap QB for peanuts? Yeah, that's a good find. TT may have been the second best FA QB this decade.

This is about our former backup RB.

If you think TT is the best FA the Bills have signed in 10 years please show me why in another thread.

Run game importance of units to Bills:

1. Taylor......keeps defenses out of the backfield with fear of gashing them with big runs or big passes in broken field if he breaks contain......allowing Bills relatively slow developing blocking game to get into blocks and open huge holes.....Bills backs lead NFL in yards before contact.

2. The Runnin' Bax.......McCoy and MG are both good.......MG hasn't proven he can carry a huge load, but hasn't proven he can't either.......and he is the better fit in new scheme and the more versatile player.

3. The OL......these guys are not much above average as a collection of parts but are propped up big time by a running QB that can stretch the field with deep vertical throws and two backs that can take the ball to the house. Without Taylor they struggle getting into blocks prior to penetration.

1. This is simply a false Bills fan myth. It takes what 1 second to hand the ball off and another second for the RB to hit the LOS correct? if you call 2 seconds slowly developing a hole your very mistaken.

2. MG can't hold McCoy's jock strap. MG is a completely different change of pace back to McCoy. One that throws the opposing D off after taking numerous snaps against one of the premiere running backs in the league.

3. See #1. the OL is average at pass protection but top 5 hands down in the league at run blocking. Selling the line short whom dominate at run blocking is sad man.

Edited by Real McCoy

If you think our free agent scrap heap signing backup RB is worth $4m and a 5th round pick, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Totally agree. I like MG but between McCoy, Tolbert and J Williams -- I don't worry about the backup running back spot. Even if they don't draft a RB replacement in a deep draft - I would rather take the pick and let McDermott find players that fit his style. As for the comments critical of Whaley -- I think he was right in assigning an original round tender-- NOONE was giving up a second round pick for MG.