Prospect Watch: Mitch Trubisky QB, UNC

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's only one thing you trade up for if you're giving up a first-round pick or more, and that's a potential franchise QB. You don't for a WR. You do for a QB.

Eli worked out pretty well for the Giants in a tradeup.

That's funny, trading into the top 5 for a QB has literally never worked, but trading up for WR has succeeded several times. But by all means, keep repeating this maxim.

And no, Eli does not count. First, the Giants were already in the top five and had used their pick on Rivers, who turned out to be as good as Eli (albeit without the rings). The trade was made because Eli refused to play for the Chargers, not because a team needed to trade up for a QB.

Edited by mannc

a tad exaggeratory, no?

Yeah, probably. Went a little overboard making my point I guess... lol

But there was an actual quote from Ernie Accorsi shortly after the trade where he said something like that. It was something to the effect of "trading for a QB like Eli doesn't really ever happen and you only get a chance to trade for a QB like him maybe once in a lifetime, so I couldn't pass it up".

I just read it in an article (from 2004) yesterday, but of course now I can't find the article anywhere (and I just cleared my browser history this morning...).

I've seen 15 different players mocked to the Bills. Theyve put a ton of smoke out there. Good for them. None of these guys know who they are taking.

Ok so........maybe 7% chance the Bills draft him........and then maybe a 5% chance he's any kind of franchise QB?

Can the thread police tell me if 43 pages is too many for a 1% chance that he's the Bills answer to Andy Dalton and we just don't know it yet? :flirt:

I just need to know if I should be wringing my hands about the topic. :thumbsup:

Ok so........maybe 7% chance the Bills draft him........and then maybe a 5% chance he's any kind of franchise QB?

Can the thread police tell me if 43 pages is too many for a 1% chance that he's the Bills answer to Andy Dalton and we just don't know it yet? :flirt:

I just need to know if I should be wringing my hands about the topic. :thumbsup:

Threads regarding prospects have a lot of utility value (1) it allows for (hopefully) respectful debate among college football fans who may follow a few teams more closely than others (2) (more importantly) it educates non-college football watchers such as me regarding the top prospects. Belive it or not, I learn a lot more when I read posts from you, Blokes, DaveM etc so do keep it going and (3) its bloody good entertainment to the dispassionate observer

None of this deserves some of the hand wringing seen here often.

Yet NFL teams see this differently than you. They scouted Dalton and no one wanted him in the first. That is a different situation than Trubisky who multiple teams have as the top QB or 2nd QB on the board and who will go top ten in this draft.

Edited by jeffismagic

Threads regarding prospects have a lot of utility value (1) it allows for (hopefully) respectful debate among college football fans who may follow a few teams more closely than others (2) (more importantly) it educates non-college football watchers such as me regarding the top prospects. Belive it or not, I learn a lot more when I read posts from you, Blokes, DaveM etc so do keep it going and (3) its bloody good entertainment to the dispassionate observer

Oh I'm just making fun of a few people on this forum who........despite tens of thousands of meaningless posts under their belt.......think that they are a good judge of how much discussion a certain topic warrants within it's thread.

It's the evolved alternative to the shoutdown.......like ("I don't like Trubisky" so)"why are so many people talking about Trubisky when there is only a 1% chance he turns into a QB we want to replace in 4 years when he can't win a playoff game?".

It's takes a complete lack of self awareness to not know, as you said, that "None of this deserves some of the hand wringing seen here often"..........so why b*tch about people discussing the topic for too many pages in one thread? Idiotic. :doh:

Sorry if this has already been addressed (I haven't read through all 43 pages)

But are there ANY legit Franchise QBs currently in the NFL that only started one year in College? I don't watch college football so I don't know anything about Trubisky as a prospect, but the fact that he only really played for one year in college would be enough to keep me away from drafting him with a top 10 pick...

But are there ANY legit Franchise QBs currently in the NFL that only started one year in College? I don't watch college football so I don't know anything about Trubisky as a prospect, but the fact that he only really played for one year in college would be enough to keep me away from drafting him with a top 10 pick...

Franchise QB is going to be argued about but Carolina certainly views Cam Newton as their franchise QB.

he will be the least experienced QB to be drafted in the 1st in 40 years. Those who come close in # of starts are Mark Sanchez and Ryan Tannehill - ironically also both drafted in the top 10. Edited by YoloinOhio

he will be the least experienced QB to be drafted in the 1st in 40 years. Those who come close in # of starts are Mark Sanchez and Ryan Tannehill - ironically also both drafted in the top 10.

....desperate people do desperate things,,,,,result??............

Great point. Excellent post ( although I think badol's poor attempt at humor was lost on you here, you actually refuted any point he was trying to make) . Indeed it's a much more relevant topic for a team that needs a QB than say, worrying about how they are spending their nickels and dimes, or which guy we think makes too much money when they have to spend it anyway. Some on this board think they know everything and that they must point out how everything the team we follow does is incorrect. Those with you know , an overinflated sense of self awareness.

Yet NFL teams see this differently than you. They scouted Dalton and no one wanted him in the first. That is a different situation than Trubisky who multiple teams have as the top QB or 2nd QB on the board and who will go top ten in this draft.

Don't you realize that ALL NFL teams would be better if they just listened to badol ? They simply don't know the error of their ways. In fact , you too can be a better individual if you just agree with all he has to say. Have you seen any good threads about how muchthe Bills are overpaying their RB lately? Those are some of my faves. Prepare to be enlightened .... Edited by Boatdrinks

Was in Chapel Hill tonight and saw Mitch eating dinner at Spanky's - no Bills front office personnel in sight

Can't wait to see him high 5-ing Russ in the war room after he's traded away three 1st rounders for the next Andy Dalton....Take a bow, Doug...you will never be a GM again.

I would be furious if we drafted a qb that took us to 5 straight playoff appearances to start his career. Furious.

@TyDunne

What do the defensive coordinators who faced Mitchell Trubisky think? One sees a potential MVP. More on the QB here: https://www.facebook.com/notes/tyler-dunne-bleacher-report/dc-on-mitchell-trubisky-he-can-be-a-super-bowl-winner-and-a-nfl-mvp/514035245652392/

@ChaseGoodbread

Mayock on Trubisky: "The irony is, he's played the least (among top QBs) but he'll probably be the first one ready to play."