Bourbon Question

dib

Bullitt is good, if you can get your hands on some Pappy Van Winkle you are a lucky guy. My dad drinks a lot of bourbon so when I go over I always have some. His normal drink is Knobb Creek

Edited by Bray Wyatt

Normally I drink Jim Beam. However, a Bourbon called Bulliet has piqued my interest. Anyone have tastebuds on this? Any other Bourbon suggestions?

It's not bad. What's your price range and I'll give you some options I like and some that I've heard are good. Also how do you like to drink it? Neat, ice, water?

I'm no expert, but after living in KY for a year, I'm trying a lot of bourbons.

Normally I drink Jim Beam. However, a Bourbon called Bulliet has piqued my interest. Anyone have tastebuds on this? Any other Bourbon suggestions?

Bulleit is very good, if you're a Jim Beam guy try the Beam double oak, pretty smooth.

A few others to try ...

Buffalo Trace

Woodford Reserve

Willets Reserve

Colonel E.H. Taylor small batch

Cheers

You should like it more than JB that is for sure. Of that tier it's a pretty safe pick.

I'm guessing a relative new comer to the bourbon scene? If so a price point you are into exploring might be a good start - but if you have some preferences on style it looks like a few can hit that topic too.

As usual, when bandit speaks he shares good knowledge

Thank you one and all. I'm going to try and get the smallest samples I can get until I settle. Of course if I get a large bottle and I don't quite like it, I'll just have to suffer through it.

One thing you'll notice about some bourbons. A lot of the places making bourbon actually have it distilled elsewhere and then shipped to then to be bottled.

They may employ different finishing techniques, like aging in wine barrels, but the bourbon is going to have the same mash bill and distillation process that's the same as something else.

So if you find a craft bourbon you like, figure out where it's originally from, and there's a possibility that there's a cheaper option that you'll like as well. It's also interesting to see if the extra finishing processes are adding flavor that's worth the money.

Also, your palette is your palette. You may agree or disagree with others on what tastes good. To each his own, plenty of bourbons out there to try.

Edited by Joe Miner

Four roses is good stuff. Widow Jane too.

Good call. These are two I like a lot. Some of my other go-to's:

Evan Williams Single Barrel

Makers 46

John E. Fitzgerald Larceny

Sometimes, I just go for regular old Jim Beam or Wild Turkey. There are so many good choices for bourbon that don't cost a lot. My all-time favorite inexpensive brand is regular Evan Williams. Just tastes great to me.

Good call. These are two I like a lot. Some of my other go-to's:

Evan Williams Single Barrel

Makers 46

John E. Fitzgerald Larceny

Sometimes, I just go for regular old Jim Beam or Wild Turkey. There are so many good choices for bourbon that don't cost a lot. My all-time favorite inexpensive brand is regular Evan Williams. Just tastes great to me.

I've always enjoyed my bourbon neat and personally have found that you mostly get what you pay for. With that said, there are cheaper bourbons that are worth drinking. The thing that hipsters and bourbon snobs don't always understand is that if it taste good to you, just drink it. Do you enjoy the standard Wild Turkey or Wild Turkey 101? I think Wild Turkey 101 can hold its own against most of the more expensive highly rated bourbons. If you haven't tried it, I highly recommend it.

I've always enjoyed my bourbon neat and personally have found that you mostly get what you pay for. With that said, there are cheaper bourbons that are worth drinking. The thing that hipsters and bourbon snobs don't always understand is that if it taste good to you, just drink it. Do you enjoy the standard Wild Turkey or Wild Turkey 101? I think Wild Turkey 101 can hold its own against most of the more expensive highly rated bourbons. If you haven't tried it, I highly recommend it.

Most recently, just the regular Wild Turkey. I'll go back and give 101 another try though.

I drink it neat too. I've found that for me the returns start diminishing around $50-$60/bottle. And sometimes I don't even want to drink something that could be described as "smooth." That's when I grab the Jim Beam or Evan Williams, which are both pretty damn good, but they do have that nasty bite that I crave sometimes.

I like both of those as well.

What we really need is an Asian Whiskey thread.

I've been looking to grab a bottle of Asian whiskey, but I've only tried Suntory (don't remember which one; it was a freebie at the bar). What are your top recommendations?

Moderately priced that haven't been mentioned yet:

Eagle Rare

Old Forester 1920

Elijah Craig

Jefferson's Reserve very small batch

Angels Envy

WL Weller special reserve - get 12 year if you can find it

Knob Creek - think someone mentioned it already

Do you like Ryes as well?

Damn, 2 people mention eagle rare while I'm typing.

Edited by Joe Miner

I've been looking to grab a bottle of Asian whiskey, but I've only tried Suntory (don't remember which one; it was a freebie at the bar). What are your top recommendations?

Depends on how much you want to spend.

Taketsuru pure malt blended is a good intro if you want one that isn't too pricey, but Nikka Yoichi single malt is tremendous.

My two favorites are Hibiki 17 and Kavalan Solist Vinho Barrique. Sublime.

Depends on how much you want to spend.

Taketsuru pure malt blended is a good intro if you want one that isn't too pricey, but Nikka Yoichi single malt is tremendous.

My two favorites are Hibiki 17 and Kavalan Solist Vinho Barrique. Sublime.

Takesuru pure malt sounds like a winner to me! I think my palate needs to further evolve before I can consider dropping $300+ on a bottle.

Basil Hayden's is a tasty treat.

Have to agree 100%. Beam is my go-to, but when I'm out I would normally get Woodford Reserve. Woodford was my favorite until I was at a place that didn't have Woodford, but the bartender suggested BH. Glad he did because BH has become my new favorite.

Bulleit is very good, if you're a Jim Beam guy try the Beam double oak, pretty smooth.

A few others to try ...

Buffalo Trace

Woodford Reserve

Willets Reserve

Colonel E.H. Taylor small batch

Cheers

Both of these are good too, though I prefer Willets. Havent had the others. My dad has one called Larceny that I may try later today when I go to take care of their dog while they are gone for the afternoon/evening. Hear anything about that?

My brother is a single malt scotch guy but I prefer a good bourbon has better flavor imo

Edited by Bray Wyatt

Both of these are good too, though I prefer Willets. Havent had the others. My dad has one called Larceny that I may try later today when I go to take care of their dog while they are gone for the afternoon/evening. Hear anything about that?

My brother is a single malt scotch guy but I prefer a good bourbon has better flavor imo

A lot of people like Larceny. It wasn't one of my particular favorites, but to each his own. It's fairly inexpensive, and it uses wheat instead of rye to try to give it a bit smoother taste instead of the spicier rye flavor.

It's worth a try.

I will generally drink any bourbon, though some are reserved for different occasions/settings.

Relaxing on the patio listening to music:

Woodford Reserve

Jeffersons Reserve

Angels Envy

Tin Cup

Blantons

Then when I'm in more of a social setting:

Makers/Makers 46

Jim Beam

Wild Turkey 101

Jack Daniels Regular or Gentleman

I'm not a snob by any means but I find that Bourbon is similar across the board no matter the price point. There are some that are some that aren't worth $75+/bottle and there are some grossly underpriced at $20. It just depends on what you think tastes good to you.

Scotch on the other hand has way to many variations to get into which deserves another thread. Plus Scotch can range from $20-$10,000 and some of the high end Peats taste like you're drinking soil and water mixed.

I'm thirsty now

I will generally drink any bourbon, though some are reserved for different occasions/settings.

Relaxing on the patio listening to music:

Woodford Reserve

Jeffersons Reserve

Angels Envy

Tin Cup

Blantons

Then when I'm in more of a social setting:

Makers/Makers 46

Jim Beam

Wild Turkey 101

Jack Daniels Regular or Gentleman

I'm not a snob by any means but I find that Bourbon is similar across the board no matter the price point. There are some that are some that aren't worth $75+/bottle and there are some grossly underpriced at $20. It just depends on what you think tastes good to you.

Scotch on the other hand has way to many variations to get into which deserves another thread. Plus Scotch can range from $20-$10,000 and some of the high end Peats taste like you're drinking soil and water mixed.

I'm thirsty now

I've never been able to get into scotch. Recently someone recommended Laphroig to me, so I spent like $70 on a bottle. I hate it! I came to find out that it's like the peatiest peat peat of all the peaty peats, loved by only the most serious scotch heads. I'd describe the flavor as chewing on a dirty used bandaid torn from the infected foot of a diabetic shut-in.

Edited by Cugalabanza

Moderately priced that haven't been mentioned yet:

Eagle Rare

Old Forester 1920

Elijah Craig

Jefferson's Reserve very small batch

Angels Envy

WL Weller special reserve - get 12 year if you can find it

Knob Creek - think someone mentioned it already

Do you like Ryes as well?

Damn, 2 people mention eagle rare while I'm typing.

This list has a lot of my recent bottles

And the mention of basil Hayden is a good entry level -- pretty smooth to ease into. A few of the mentions on here have been excellent but have a bit more spice or heat to them. BH won't put a hurt on you if new to sipping.

Edited by NoSaint

If you're in Buffalo, they have it at Premier on Maple

Over the weekend I found myself at a world class private Japanese whiskey bar and sipping on a play on an old fashioned with a toasted sesame syrup. I'll have to grab a copy of the menu to double check the label but it was something from nikka- really fantastic cocktail

I've never been able to get into scotch. Recently someone recommended Laphroig to me, so I spent like $70 on a bottle. I hate it! I came to find out that it's like the peatiest peat peat of all the peaty peats, loved by only the most serious scotch heads. I'd describe the flavor as chewing on a dirty used bandaid torn from the infected foot of a diabetic shut-in.

That's hilarious! A bit more descriptive than my "dirt and water" flavor, lmao!

I did have a bottle of Oban Scotch not to long ago that was extremely tasty and not peaty. I could get a couple bottles of Jefferson Reserve for what I paid for it. I'm sipping the Jefferson right now and I would take this over Scotch almost anytime.

Cheers!

Bullitt is good, if you can get your hands on some Pappy Van Winkle you are a lucky guy. My dad drinks a lot of bourbon so when I go over I always have some. His normal drink is Knobb Creek

The guy at Total wine said they sell out Pappy as quick as they get it in. I looked it up on line and I'm priced out.

If you are ever in DC and want to sample just about any whiskey in the world, go here.

http://jackrosediningsaloon.com/whiskey/domestic-whiskey/

Dude has close to 3,000 different bottles on the wall..pretty crazy.

BTW, the food is outrageously good as weel.

That would be a good place to Ãœber to when down visiting my son and his wife.