The McDermott Era begins - Voluntary OTAs

Now I know that I’m supposed to lead by example and all that but I’m not shoving that aside like it don’t mean anything. I know it’s important, I honestly do but we’re talking about stretching. We’re talking about stretching man. We’re talking about stretching. We’re talking about stretching. We’re not talking about the game. We’re talking about stretching. When you come to the stadium, and you see me play, you’ve seen me play right, you’ve seen me give everything I’ve got, but we’re talking about stretching right now. … Hey I hear you, it’s funny to me too, hey it’s strange to me too but we’re talking about stretching man, we’re not even talking about the game, when it actually matters, we’re talking about stretching … How the hell can I make my teammates better by stretching?” - shady's likely response when he finally shows up ??

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I know that I’m supposed to lead by example and all that but I’m not shoving that aside like it don’t mean anything. I know it’s important, I honestly do but we’re talking about stretching. We’re talking about stretching man. We’re talking about stretching. We’re talking about stretching. We’re not talking about the game. We’re talking about stretching. When you come to the stadium, and you see me play, you’ve seen me play right, you’ve seen me give everything I’ve got, but we’re talking about stretching right now. … Hey I hear you, it’s funny to me too, hey it’s strange to me too but we’re talking about stretching man, we’re not even talking about the game, when it actually matters, we’re talking about stretching … How the hell can I make my teammates better by stretching?” - shady's likely response when he finally shows up ??

I know that I immediately think of Allen Iverson when I think of Shady...

...or that could possibly be a horrendous comparison, since Iverson was talking about regular-season basketball practice, and Shady missed a voluntary stretch session.

The good news is that you're stretching this narrative enough that the entire NFL should probably take the week off.

Wouldn't have been cool though if 61 of 61 players attended? Wouldn't have that been a strong statement of unity and commitment?

I'm confident that when Shady does show up, he'll be in shape. I'm looking forward to another good year from Shady. I don't think his lack of attendance is the end of the world. I just think that the proper way to welcome a new coach is with participation and engagement.

60 players found ways to manage their personal commitments and still make it do Day One of voluntary workouts. It would have been nice if Shady figured it out too.

If the other 60 players took care of their off-season football stuff and played on the field the way Shady does, I also wouldn't care if they skipped OTA's. I'm actually encouraged that Dareus showed up. He's someone that needs to be there.

Edited by Doc

I know...I just think that the reaction from some is a bit over the top.

As I said......the reaction by people defending Shady is what is over the top.......even got one guy BANNED yesterday for blowing his top.......the people who don't like Shady being the one guy to not show up are just kinda' saying he shoulda showed up.

The exaggeratedly defensive reactions reflect an underlying fear that things haven't entirely changed wrt buy-in.

I don't think any of the people criticizing McCoy are saying THAT.

We all know he shouldn't have been the one guy not to show. Nobody would have shamed him for missing his 5 year olds literal birthday to be at his $9M job.

Have your kid's birthday on a weekend. He's 5......he's probably in school on a Tuesday. It's just kind-of a :rolleyes: reason to miss the first day of McDermott's coaching regime.

Who are you to tell another poster what's right and wrong?

Millennial, right?

Who the H. E. DOUBLEHOCKEYSTICKS are YOU to judge a millennial?!?!?!?!

Me, I'm 43.

But to answer your first question, I'm a person who is posting on a message board. Much like you, I share my opinions here.

As I said......the reaction by people defending Shady is what is over the top.......even got one guy BANNED yesterday for blowing his top.......the people who don't like Shady being the one guy to not show up are just kinda' saying he shoulda showed up.

The exaggeratedly defensive reactions reflect an underlying fear that things haven't entirely changed wrt buy-in.

We all know he shouldn't have been the one guy not to show. Nobody would have shamed him for missing his 5 year olds literal birthday to be at his $9M job.

Have your kid's birthday on a weekend. He's 5......he's probably in school on a Tuesday. It's just kind-of a :rolleyes: reason to miss the first day of McDermott's coaching regime.

He's probably interviewing at Westwood One

He's probably interviewing at Westwood One

That's what I say :thumbsup: .......he will probably end up in radio/podcast biz like all the other washed-up Hall-of-Good'ers in the NFL and NBA.

He might have a shot on one of the 200 different NFL tv shows but the domestic violence/herpes spreading/ladies-only party issues might be an issue there.....seems the trend is away from those types.

The end comes fast for a RB......gotta' be prepared! :thumbsup:

Dareus lose weight?

Way to bring up an issue NOBODY was askin' about. :flirt:

You are developing quite the rep as a sh*t stirrer UDonkey.

Who the H. E. DOUBLEHOCKEYSTICKS are YOU to judge a millennial?!?!?!?!

Me, I'm 43.

But to answer your first question, I'm a person who is posting on a message board. Much like you, I share my opinions here.

It's kinda' out of bounds to call a fellow poster you know very little about a bad father/husband on TSW........no?

You should probably slow your roll........or maybe take it over to ppp?

That's what I say :thumbsup: .......he will probably end up in radio/podcast biz like all the other washed-up Hall-of-Good'ers in the NFL and NBA.

He might have a shot on one of the 200 different NFL tv shows but the domestic violence/herpes spreading/ladies-only party issues might be an issue there.....seems the trend is away from those types.

The end comes fast for a RB......gotta' be prepared! :thumbsup:

Way to bring up an issue NOBODY was askin' about. :flirt:

You are developing quite the rep as a sh*t stirrer UDonkey.

It's kinda' out of bounds to call a fellow poster you know very little about a bad father/husband on TSW........no?

You should probably slow your roll........or maybe take it over to ppp?

By bragging on TSW about how many of your kids' and wife's birthdays you blew off, you're making it fair game....no?

And some people don't have to post from work. Are those people that are using their employers time and resources terrible people?

you think he doesn't care about the team? Name one time from since he's been a Bill where he show that he didn't care while on the field. Did he ever mail it in? Why would that change now?

Did I in any way insinuate thats what he was doing?

Are those things you specifically brought up: caring about the team, mailing it in, the only things that can be gained from that voluntary workout? Thats it?

If you believe thats the only large things that can be atrributed from being at a voluntary workout for the first time after significant changes, whilst wvery single other player is there thats a tad bit naive.

Throw a thread out there that gives BADOL an opportunity to critique Shady, and you may as well light a candle in front of a moth.

By the way -- does anyone still think Shady wasn't worth 5.04% of the Bills' cap number last season?

Hes the only one not there on a tesm that's desperately trying to undo losing ways and turn this franchise around. You dont think a millionaire athlete could have held his childs birthday party a day early in order to take part in team activities that has been arrainged for a while now? Also its 4 hours how long is the birthday party all day? He could have done both in the same day.

So, no kids for you either?

Unless you are in the armed forces and deployed overseas, you sound like a terrible father and husband. Probably a good employee though.

Because you have no context or knowledge of the situation. That generally leads to making yourself look like an ass. Exhibit A: your last handful of posts in this topic.

What more context do you need? I'm as entitled you my opinion about his post are you are about your TT crusade.

What more context do you need? I'm as entitled you my opinion about his post are you are about your TT crusade.

You called him a terrible father and husband. You don't know the first thing about him. You honestly come off like a much worse person here.

It's really telling how quick you are to personally attack somebody. I'd just bow out if I was you.

Edited by FireChan

You called him a terrible father and husband. You don't know the first thing about him. You honestly come off like a much worse person here.

It's really telling how quick you are to personally attack somebody. I'd just bow out if I was you.

I said its SOUNDS LIKE. Maybe he’s deployed in the middle east. Maybe he volunteers for Drs. Without Borders. But he’s bragging about missing his kid’s and wife’s bday on a message board, absent any of the bolded, and absence that detail, he sounds like a bad husband/father.

I said its SOUNDS LIKE. Maybe he’s deployed in the middle east. Maybe he volunteers for Drs. Without Borders. But he’s bragging about missing his kid’s and wife’s bday on a message board, absent any of the bolded, and absence that detail, he sounds like a bad husband/father.

Maybe he is.

Why would you call out somebody before you know? If he said, "actually, I spent the entirety of last year repairing cleft palates in Africa for free," you'd look like a total !@#$. And you'd have to apologize. But hey, keep on keeping on. If we were judging folks on what their posts "sound like," I'd say you sound like an ass.

Maybe he is.

Why would you call out somebody before you know? If he said, "actually, I spent the entirety of last year repairing cleft palates in Africa for free," you'd look like a total !@#$. And you'd have to apologize. But hey, keep on keeping on. If we were judging folks on what their posts "sound like," I'd say you sound like an ass.

It's pretty simple, if he was doing something altruistic with his time my assumption would be inaccurate. I also tend to think if he was that kind of guy he wouldn't brag about all of the birthdays and anniversaries he missed.

Good to know that the feeling is mutual between us, though.

i was thinking same thing....this recent pic is flattering

yesterday i saw a pic of marcel with man boobs and thought some people never learn

Maybe...just maybe...in McDermott's conversations with marcel he told him forget about being a Nose Tackle like you were with Rex Ryan....your gonna be a gap attacking DT....so get more sleak big man

and

Maybe....just maybe....this caused Marcel to actually give a doo doo

Maybe...just maybe...in McDermott's conversations with marcel he told him forget about being a Nose Tackle like you were with Rex Ryan....your gonna be a gap attacking DT....so get more sleak big man

and

Hoping we see this man again

Who are you to tell another poster what's right and wrong?

Millennial, right?

Way too aggressive for a millennial. They're more likely to "speak their truth" and "encourage you to be your best self." - puke

They both came off pretty badly. Probably a good time for them both to quit while they're behind.

That's not what you say.

You said he'd be out of the NFL and working in radio before he turned 30.

The end comes fast for RB's......one minute you are Adrian Peterson.......voted the league's best player by his peers......then a year later you are looking at a 90% salary cut and very limited interest even then.

You honestly think that McCoy is going to hang around the NFL to be a reserve?

A big part of the problem Peterson faces now is that teams don't know how he'd handle being a reserve playing for peanuts compared to his previous role/contract.

McCoy being the only no-show for the coach's first OTA is not exactly the kind of endearing maneuver that might buy him an extra paycheck at the end.........or a coaching gig........so radio sounds about right. :thumbsup:

They both came off pretty badly. Probably a good time for them both to quit while they're behind.

Typical Notre Dame........always quitting when they get behind........why can't you just let Tenhigh keep shoveling? :thumbsup:

Edited by #BADOL

and

Let's hope.

The end comes fast for RB's......one minute you are Adrian Peterson.......voted the league's best player by his peers......then a year later you are looking at a 90% salary cut and very limited interest even then.

A big part of the problem Peterson faces now is that teams don't know how he'd handle being a reserve playing for peanuts compared to his previous role/contract.

McCoy being the only no-show for the coach's first OTA is not exactly the kind of endearing maneuver that might buy him an extra paycheck at the end.........or a coaching gig........so radio sounds about right. :thumbsup:

Typical Notre Dame........always quitting when they get behind........why can't you just let Tenhigh keep shoveling? :thumbsup:

It's only weight lifting and conditioning. There's no football being played or taught. Do you think McCoy won't come to camp prepared and ready to play?

So, no kids for you either?

You made one terrible assumption and refuse to own it not a good look. I am a United States Marine and definitely wasnt bragging. Its not easy missing those events, however, using a nit of imagination I have been able to make it up to them in very unique ways. 4hrs at a voluntary practice in no way shape or form should have impacted a millionaires ability to throw one heck of anoarty for his child after the practice. Shady isnt above any of the other players that decided to put their lives on hold to attend a 4 hr session at OBD. The other men put their families, wants, needs, on hold for 4 hrs in an attempt to better the TEAM.

By bragging on TSW about how many of your kids' and wife's birthdays you blew off, you're making it fair game....no?

i never bragged at all. I never stated I enjoyed that, boasted about it, i stated a very simple and true fact. You are trying to rationalize an ignorant stance.

I have always thought it was funny that you, who once accused Shady of only playing hard on nationally televised games, thinks his big personality would stoop to working in radio. If he goes the media route, which I agree is likely, it will be in front of a camera.

But it won't be before he turns 30.

Edited by Deranged Rhino

I have always thought it was funny that you, who once accused Shady of only playing hard on nationally televised games, thinks his big personality would stoop to working in radio. If he goes the media route, which I agree is likely, it will be in front of a camera.

But it won't be before he turns 30.

BADOL just needs to stop doubling down. Shady played great last year. Yes, RB's hit walls suddenly moreso than any other position. Yes, RB's can go from great to out of the league in a blink of an eye. Yes, there's a decent chance that happens to Shady in the next 2 years. But why keep pushing it?

BADOL just needs to stop doubling down. Shady played great last year. Yes, RB's hit walls suddenly moreso than any other position. Yes, RB's can go from great to out of the league in a blink of an eye. Yes, there's a decent chance that happens to Shady in the next 2 years. But why keep pushing it?

QB can go very quick too. Peyton went from NFL record TD rates to NFL record INT rates in like a year and a half!

QB can go very quick too. Peyton went from NFL record TD rates to NFL record INT rates in like a year and a half!

Yep, it's certainly well-documented.

Manning was really basically overnight. First 7 games in 2014 he threw 22 TD's to just 3 picks. Last 8? 17 TD's, 12 INT's.

Edited by FireChan

Because it makes Deranged Greggo angry........and he's amusingly wooden when he's angry? :flirt:

When the Bills acquired Shady he went on about how much better Shady would be in Buffalo in 2015 than he had been in Philly.........a rare football take from him...........about which he was, of course, wrong.

When I pointed out that McCoy had a lot of issues and factors working against his high expectations........he got quite inflamed........he said the extension was a smart and necessary move......and that he'd be here for the duration of the contract and scoffed at my more sensible take that he'd NOT see the extension years but would instead be working in the media during them.

Now he gradually backs away from those takes.........recently admitting that he's likely to be gone after this year.......the last year of his Philly contract :flirt: .........and doesn't deny that he can't see Shady being a backup and that he sees him going into the media.

Quite comical. :beer:

Interesting. I try hard to make my birthday like every other day. I only celebrate it to meet my kids' expectations.

I make my Kids Birthday the celebration of my love for them. And they are all adults.

It is the time i thank them for being here and making my life worthwhile

well done.

I disagree, but enjoyed the excellent humor my friend !!

and LeSean shoulda been there. Only one who missed it? bad look Pops

Yep, it's certainly well-documented.

Manning was really basically overnight. First 7 games in 2014 he threw 22 TD's to just 3 picks. Last 8? 17 TD's, 12 INT's.

Yep, when top QB's get around 40 that usually happens now.

But 30 is 40 for RB's.

It's not just in football that these dropoffs happen........there is a point in a lot of top athletes careers where they seem to reach a mental peak while they still have physical skills.......and it often leads to a great year or two near the end of their careers.

The list of guys who had surprisingly huge years late in their career.....and then quickly dropped off......is very long.

Will we be wondering if last year was McCoy's peak year? Yeah he's a 200 carry back now not a 300 carry back like they thought they were getting when they traded for him........but between hammy issues he's productive and he certainly made a lot of changes last year that really made all the difference in his per touch production. I predicted that he could do it if he got his head out of his asss........and against character, he did........but that 30 year old plateau is right around the corner. :beer:

It's only weight lifting and conditioning. There's no football being played or taught. Do you think McCoy won't come to camp prepared and ready to play?

I'm taking it one day at a time with Shady.......I just heard a rumor on TSW that he got in a fight with his baby momma and was last seen drinking alone. The bartender said you could literally HEAR his hamstrings dehydrating. Concerned face. :unsure: