Anyone nervous about our new defensive scheme (Pats)

Virgil

Winning 6 divisional games give you only 6 wins. I think you're missing their point instead of vice versa. You put together the defense you think that gets you as close to 16 wins as possible, not the defense that gets you as close as possible to 2 wins over the Cheats.

Pats are a speedbump on the BIlls road to Glory that is about 2 miles high.

Bills aren't going 11-5 by playing horribly in their division.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pats are a speedbump on the BIlls road to Glory that is about 2 miles high.

Bills aren't going 11-5 by playing horribly in their division.

No, and they aren't going 11-5 by putting all of their energy into beating the Pats and ignoring the other 14 games on their schedule. That is a Rex Ryan solution.

No, and they aren't going 11-5 by putting all of their energy into beating the Pats and ignoring the other 14 games on their schedule. That is a Rex Ryan solution.

The most important game is the one coming up next. I trust all the marbles in football are put in towards winning the next game all season, maybe overlook the Browns or another cupcake.

Rex had his system and wasn't going to change it no matter the opponent or the reality on the field, except battlefield promotions for injury.

I'm fine with a decent coach trying to build an honest winner, I'm looking for improvement each week, if they play well that would be most welcome.

The most important game is the one coming up next. I trust all the marbles in football are put in towards winning the next game all season, maybe overlook the Browns or another cupcake.

Rex had his system and wasn't going to change it no matter the opponent or the reality on the field, except battlefield promotions for injury.

I'm fine with a decent coach trying to build an honest winner, I'm looking for improvement each week, if they play well that would be most welcome.

In the season the most important game is the next one, but were in the offseason. I think a holistic approach is warranted.

General George S. Patton once said something to the effect that 5% of the success of any plan depends on the plan itself. The other 95% is execution.

Rex was supposed to be a good X and O coach. Yet our execution was poor so his supposed brilliance with schemes didn't amount to much.

The only defenses that seems to slow down the pats are with physical man coverage and front 4 pressure.

Our defense is mainly going to be cover 3 with zone. It's a pressure based, let them beat you in spots kind of defense.

Doesn't that fall right into the Patriots hands. They want the short, quick routes. They want to find space. They want to run free off the line.

I know the Pats tear up pretty much all defenses, but I feel like we are just starting with a losing plan against a team that needs to be overcome to get us over the hump.

Yes, we can adjust our defense in the moment and it's only one team. I get it. The sky isn't falling. This is just a conversation that I'm surprised hasn't been talked about much yet.

I said the same thing right after the Super Bowl when they talked about how the Falcons played right into their hands.

In the season the most important game is the next one, but were in the offseason. I think a holistic approach is warranted.

holistic as in trying to think about the next Bills season and not start to cry?

No facts are my strong suit - you specifically stated "any" which means they were never successful and said 15 seasons which includes 2003 as you said above. Not saying Bills were not dominated but not every game. You could have said "most" but over exaggerated to make your point. We have not beaten them YET in 2017 so statement 'not slowed down' is true right now since it is impossible to slow them down when we have not played yet.

As was taught to me in debate class: Exaggeration is a tool of the weak minded.

Take a look at the Bills record vs Pats over that 15 season span ( including 2003 where the same opening day " scheme" produced a lopsided loss in game 16 of that year). Crunch the numbers. Then tell me which defensive scheme was so successful in slowing down the Pats. If you can somehow glean that conclusion from the monstrous pile of garbage that has been the Bills defense vs NE over that time, well your moniker is certainly appropriate. I exaggerated nothing. Check the data. Saying that any scheme the Bills have run over that period has slowed down the Pats would be the exaggeration...

What the heck, I'll throw in my 2 cents.

A. We're a long way from competing w/ the Pats. But some key things the Bills could do that I think would help:

B. For McD & his D & O coordinators, be able to adjust on the fly all throughout the game. BB has done this for years.

C. This year, Tyrod is going to have to up his game & improve more as a qb. He still misses spoting wide open guys, and doesn't

throw to the middle of the field enough, and needs to come up big in big moments in the game.

D. For the Bills defense, just putting it generally here, slow down Brady "as much as you can." Their offense revolves around

him ( as well it should) so just try to hold them, say, under 25 points. Easier said than done, I know.

E. Bills, keep your penalties under 7 for the game. The Pats are good at capitalizing on their opponent's mistakes. Plus,

the penalty thing is a jab at Rex.

That's it coach McD. Go get'em.

No facts are my strong suit - you specifically stated "any" which means they were never successful and said 15 seasons which includes 2003 as you said above. Not saying Bills were not dominated but not every game. You could have said "most" but over exaggerated to make your point. We have not beaten them YET in 2017 so statement 'not slowed down' is true right now since it is impossible to slow them down when we have not played yet.

As was taught to me in debate class: Exaggeration is a tool of the weak minded.

And the award for Most Obnoxious Post goes to...

What a bunch of petulant nitpickery. If you are arguing that the Bills haven't been dominated by the Patriots in the Brady / Belichick era, you have already lost the debate, and no amount of middle school debate class semantics will save you.

Brady had some spells of poor throwing last season. So did Big Ben. I think you'll see that continue to increase every year as they decline to retirement.

As far as coverage goes, they'll still play press against the dink and dunk. Cover 3 and man look similar in the first 10 yards anyway.

I'm of the opinion that gronk just has too many miles on him to complete a season anymore. The guy has had injuries everywhere and it's taking its toll.

I think it is very interesting that Marcel showed up in some semblence of shape for non manditory camp.

I think he has been told that he is gonna get to eat when it comes to pass rush in this new scheme.....and might be reinvented. Remember the days when he was a unstoppable force in the middle of that line and the meatball and him took turns feasting on qbs?

General George S. Patton once said something to the effect that 5% of the success of any plan depends on the plan itself. The other 95% is execution.

Rex was supposed to be a good X and O coach. Yet our execution was poor so his supposed brilliance with schemes didn't amount to much.

And his aide Cpl Murphey says

Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong, at the worst possible time.

You saw what T-Shirt he had

rex-watermark.jpg

he's a dinosaur