Anyone Have Cardiovascular Issues?

So, I'm 38 years old...5' 11" 190 pounds. Not in the best shape of my life, but I'm relatively active and have always been in good health. Also, I eat very well, in large part, due to my wife's dietary needs. Mostly lean meats grilled or baked with gluten-free rice and fresh veggies usually steamed. I do have the occasional pizza or sub sandwich, but I very rarely eat fast food. I do light weight training 3-4 days per week, and we do a lot of walking/hiking with the kids.

The last couple times I've seen my doctor my blood pressure has been pretty high. I believe it was 138/80 this most recent time. My doctor decided to do some lab work, and she just called me with the results. My Tryglicerides (sp?) are off the charts, and my cholesterol was moderately high (total was 229). My family history is very significant for heart disease. My maternal grandfather died at age 48 of heart disease, and my Father was just diagnosed with an aneurism in his Thoracic Artery. I'm totally FREAKED OUT!! My doctor is saying that I need to eat better (I don't even know how I could do this), and she wants me to give up alcohol all together. Any words of wisdom? Encouragement? Advice?

My doctor scheduled me for an Echo Cardiogram at the end of April.

So, I'm 38 years old...5' 11" 190 pounds. Not in the best shape of my life, but I'm relatively active and have always been in good health. Also, I eat very well, in large part, due to my wife's dietary needs. Mostly lean meats grilled or baked with gluten-free rice and fresh veggies usually steamed. I do have the occasional pizza or sub sandwich, but I very rarely eat fast food. I do light weight training 3-4 days per week, and we do a lot of walking/hiking with the kids.

The last couple times I've seen my doctor my blood pressure has been pretty high. I believe it was 138/80 this most recent time. My doctor decided to do some lab work, and she just called me with the results. My Tryglicerides (sp?) are off the charts, and my cholesterol was moderately high (total was 229). My family history is very significant for heart disease. My maternal grandfather died at age 48 of heart disease, and my Father was just diagnosed with an aneurism in his Thoracic Artery. I'm totally FREAKED OUT!! My doctor is saying that I need to eat better (I don't even know how I could do this), and she wants me to give up alcohol all together. Any words of wisdom? Encouragement? Advice?

I don't have anything to add other than I'm sorry to hear this. At the very least, try to stay calm and let the medical professionals (and geniuses on OTW) do their thing before you give yourself skin failure. I've read on the main board that turmeric and green tea can cure most anything, if that helps.

I don't have anything to add other than I'm sorry to hear this. At the very least, try to stay calm and let the medical professionals (and geniuses on OTW) do their thing before you give yourself skin failure. I've read on the main board that turmeric and green tea can cure most anything, if that helps.

Haha...turmeric and green tea. Got it.

My BP was 160/105 at the age of 55...Doc prescribed a BP pill and I started cardio...lost a little weight...22 yrs later I'm still here

Doc said no meds yet. She did say to take omega 3 and whey protein. Gonna give those a try.

Sounds like we're pretty much the same person are, height and weight. I just got my biometric health screen results back today, and I got 89/100. My biggest downfall is my total cholesterol....239. History of heart disease in my family. I had a stress test a couple of years ago and everything was good, so I'm gonna keep up my current lifestyle.

Sounds like we're pretty much the same person are, height and weight. I just got my biometric health screen results back today, and I got 89/100. My biggest downfall is my total cholesterol....239. History of heart disease in my family. I had a stress test a couple of years ago and everything was good, so I'm gonna keep up my current lifestyle.

What was most shocking to me is that I have always had a cholesterol screening done as part of my annual physical. Never been an issue in the past. Just snuck up on me.

138/80 isn't high. As for the lipids, take Lipitor. If you get muscle aches, or even if you don't, take coenzyme Q 10 with it.

The doctor said I didn't need meds yet, but that they'd re-evaluate in 6 months. I'll probably ask the cardiologist when I go for the Echo. Not a big fan of medications. I did read about the CoQ10 and I think I'll give it a try, thanks.

The 80 is ok. 138 a little high. Eat beets.

Beets, eh? First I've heard of that. I do like beets.

I am 39 and 5'10". Dropped from being a fat 213 pounds to a lean147 pounds and my numbers became terrific. I wonder if you should just drop some weight and do more cardio?

Wow! That's tremndous, JR. I think I could easily get down to 180 and that would help things I believe. I do eat pretty well already though, but I suppose I could use that $3000 treadmill in my basement a little bit.

I am 39 and 5'10". Dropped from being a fat 213 pounds to a lean147 pounds and my numbers became terrific. I wonder if you should just drop some weight and do more cardio?

A lean 147? Wow, I can't imagine dropping that far. I'm 6'1" and about 192 at 57 years old. Getting down to 180-185 would probably do me wonders. My wife complains I'm already skinny. Last couple BP tests (eye doctor and sleep study) were a bit high, but my last doctor (who performed an unnecessary surgery that took 3-4 years to recover from) told me in his parting words to stay away from doctors. I listened. We eat very healthy (fish about 4 nights a week then chicken, always with roasted veggies, banana and skim milk in the AM) and I play tennis or hit the gym 3-5 times/week. Good weather has me focused on dropping a few lb's then get a doctor in my 5 year new city.

My suggestion is drop a few and not panic. The BP is not super high. Sometimes its just genetics, but they can manage this.

A lean 147? Wow, I can't imagine dropping that far. I'm 6'1" and about 192 at 57 years old. Getting down to 180-185 would probably do me wonders. My wife complains I'm already skinny. Last couple BP tests (eye doctor and sleep study) were a bit high, but my last doctor (who performed an unnecessary surgery that took 3-4 years to recover from) told me in his parting words to stay away from doctors. I listened. We eat very healthy (fish about 4 nights a week then chicken, always with roasted veggies, banana and skim milk in the AM) and I play tennis or hit the gym 3-5 times/week. Good weather has me focused on dropping a few lb's then get a doctor in my 5 year new city.

My suggestion is drop a few and not panic. The BP is not super high. Sometimes its just genetics, but they can manage this.

Thank you for the reassuring words. This is hitting me like a brick, and it has been a bit alarming given my Father's recent aneurysm. I am sort of snapping out of the "shocked" stage, and am hitting the "I gotta do what I gotta f$&@in do stage because I want to walk my daughter down the aisle some day" stage. I'll get it done.

The doctor said I didn't need meds yet, but that they'd re-evaluate in 6 months. I'll probably ask the cardiologist when I go for the Echo. Not a big fan of medications. I did read about the CoQ10 and I think I'll give it a try, thanks.

With a 138/80 BP, you don't need meds. Try yoga or other relaxation techniques.

As for the CoQ-10, I meant to take it if you're taking a statin. Sounds like you eat pretty healthy, yet your lipids are still high, which means it's genetics and you need to take meds.

Thank you for the reassuring words. This is hitting me like a brick, and it has been a bit alarming given my Father's recent aneurysm. I am sort of snapping out of the "shocked" stage, and am hitting the "I gotta do what I gotta f$&@in do stage because I want to walk my daughter down the aisle some day" stage. I'll get it done.

We got married in a bit of a hurry, but not the usual gotta get married quick!!! My wife's father had cancer and wasn't expected to make it. She wanted him to walk her down the ailse. He willed himself to do that, then much later saw our children born. He made it through some awful stuff because he had something important to live for. You will do the same.

With a 138/80 BP, you don't need meds. Try yoga or other relaxation techniques.

As for the CoQ-10, I meant to take it if you're taking a statin. Sounds like you eat pretty healthy, yet your lipids are still high, which means it's genetics and you need to take meds.

Interesting. I will definitely consult with the cardiologist when I go for the Echo on 4/28. I'm not against taking meds if I need it.

I was just at the cardiologist on Tuesday; had heart surgery as a kid in Buffalo so need to check in every year or three. Valve still leaks, no reason to worry about it yet.

You can't worry about what you can't control. Get the cholesterol down and keep doing what you're doing. Family history isn't everything, there are plenty of other factors.

And unless you drink a lot, I don't see how eliminating that changes anything. But you could always switch to red wine -- Mead and Chef Jim have plenty of suggestions.

p.s. Don't get on the drug train -- that should be a last resort.

Edited by KD in CA

I was just at the cardiologist on Tuesday; had heart surgery as a kid in Buffalo so need to check in every year or three. Valve still leaks, no reason to worry about it yet.

You can't worry about what you can't control. Get the cholesterol down and keep doing what you're doing. Family history isn't everything, there are plenty of other factors.

And unless you drink a lot, I don't see how eliminating that changes anything. But you could always switch to red wine -- Mead and Chef Jim have plenty of suggestions.

p.s. Don't get on the drug train -- that should be a last resort.

Does red wine matter much vs white? I've heard red is better, but a lot? If white wine made you healthy, I'd live a long time!

What was most shocking to me is that I have always had a cholesterol screening done as part of my annual physical. Never been an issue in the past. Just snuck up on me.

Age'll do that.

I wouldn't worry about the blood pressure too much. That's considered "high normal." (Yours is about what mine is - consistently 135/80.)

Your triglycerides...it's the goddamn rice, I'll bet. White rice is high in simple carboyhdrates, which eventually leads to high triglycerides.

Since I've been getting screened my cholesterol has been high. I went on all diets supposedly reduces cholesterol and I ate everything I wanted and the numbers didn't change much. Sometimes things are hereditary and there's not much you can do to change it. I didn't want to take a pill every day, and I still don't want to. I'll probably put it off until I hit 40.

Interesting. I will definitely consult with the cardiologist when I go for the Echo on 4/28. I'm not against taking meds if I need it.

I've you're prescribed any for you BP, take them with caution.

I had a cardiologist prescribe me something for high blood pressure with a BP nearly identical to yours (135/80). Knocked me flat on my back for a week. Got better when I stopped taking it.

Since I've been getting screened my cholesterol has been high. I went on all diets supposedly reduces cholesterol and I ate everything I wanted and the numbers didn't change much. Sometimes things are hereditary and there's not much you can do to change it. I didn't want to take a pill every day, and I still don't want to. I'll probably put it off until I hit 40.

When I first met my wife, she had a coworker who's cholesterol was very high, and was on a restricted diet. My wife...her doctor told her that her cholesterol was too LOW, and told her to eat McDonalds three times a week. Her coworker thought it was extremely unfair..."You're being prescribed cheeseburgers while I'm eating twigs and berries!" So...yeah, a good portion is genetic.

(And that woman was a twit, and got no sympathy.)

I remember my cholesterol at 119 when I was younger. My doctor said "well, we know what's NOT going to kill you". I later heard beer lowers cholesterol, but I don't know if that's true. I very rarely have a beer now, and wonder where my cholesterol may land.

I really would have a hard time eating much healthier, but genetics may screw me. My sister who is tall and lean, never smoked and walked several miles a day had quadruple bypass surgery a few years younger than my current age. She said after the surgery, the pain and all the restrictions "if I'd known it was going to be like this, I'd rather just have had the heart attack and died". Oh boy! I've had more bad doctors than good. Maybe I'd rather not know. I need to get one in my current state, I suppose. Roll of the dice.

I've you're prescribed any for you BP, take them with caution.

I had a cardiologist prescribe me something for high blood pressure with a BP nearly identical to yours (135/80). Knocked me flat on my back for a week. Got better when I stopped taking it.

My sister, who is a pharm rep (who happens to sell a lot of BP meds) told me the same thing. Use as a last resort. I'll go the exercise route, and I guess I'll restrict my diet even further. Take some omegas and smoke lots of reefer, and we're on a path to a healthy heart. Booooyah!

My sister, who is a pharm rep (who happens to sell a lot of BP meds) told me the same thing. Use as a last resort. I'll go the exercise route, and I guess I'll restrict my diet even further. Take some omegas and smoke lots of reefer, and we're on a path to a healthy heart. Booooyah!

OK, I have to ask....what effect, if any, does pot have on BP? We were in Denver and Vail last week and saw quite a few shops, and that whiff was often unmistakable. Is it a good thing or a bad thing for BP?

OK, I have to ask....what effect, if any, does pot have on BP?

Lowers yours, raises everyone's around you when you start preaching about how much more enlightened you are then them because you smoke "medicinal herb, and damn if Tom Petty isn't a musical genius."

Lowers yours, raises everyone's around you when you start preaching about how much more enlightened you are then them because you smoke "medicinal herb, and damn if Tom Petty isn't a musical genius."

Well, that's good to know, and it made me chuckle, so that's good too.

I had a bypass 7 years ago. I think it is tough, though not impossible to beat family history. My cholesterol was very high when I was in my 40's. Was on medicine at the time.

If it comes to it, do not ignore chest pains. I probably went at least 5 years clogged up but lucked out by not having a heart attack.

Did you eat a big steak or siimilar food the day before your recent cholesterol test? That can have an impact on the value if that occurred. My cholesterol had always been in the normal range but one time it was quite a bit higher than normal & my doc asked what I had eaten the day before the test. I recalled ingesting a giant steak the night before that test which is atypical for me. He ordered a follow-up and I ate my typical diet the days prior to the test and it came back normal. Just stick with your normal diet before these kind of tests to make sure readings are normalized.

Edited by Mr Info

Did you eat a big steak or siimilar food the day before your recent cholesterol test? That can have an impact on the value if that occurred. My cholesterol had always been in the normal range but one time it was quite a bit higher than normal & my doc asked what I had eaten the day before the test. I recalled ingesting a giant steak the night before that test which is atypical for me. He ordered a follow-up and I ate my typical diet the days prior to the test and it came back normal. Just stick with your normal diet before these kind of tests to make sure readings are normalized.

I don't think so. The test was Monday, and for dinner on Sunday I had pasta with ground turkey and mushrooms in the tomato sauce. I had a steak the Friday night before the test. I will be interested to see the cholesterol level when I go for my follow up in 6 months.

OK, I have to ask....what effect, if any, does pot have on BP? We were in Denver and Vail last week and saw quite a few shops, and that whiff was often unmistakable. Is it a good thing or a bad thing for BP?

Well, the experts at marijuana.com say that it lowers your BP in the long term. WebMD says it increases your heart rate by 2/3 times for 3 hours and lowers your BP in the short term. Should I start smoking reefer again?

I was in same boat... Worse and worse as I got into 40s. Good to bad was terrible for cholesterol. Triglycerides were terrible.

I have been on high blood meds since right after high school. Cholesterol meds for 20 years. I had high blood pressure since I was a teen... Even at 6'3", 190 pounds. They never had to titrate my BP meds through years even as my weight ballooned to 300 pounds... That was a saving grace.

Its all diet. Of course my weight didn't help.

Since getting back down to 200... Everything is perfect, all my numbers, my cholesterol med cut in half.

Its age, diet, genetics, eating too much, too much meat and DRINKING TOO MUCH SUGAR.

As you get older, gotta stop eating too much! Too much meat and sugar. It simply put my life in balance. Watch the calories.

That means no alcohol basically too... I know, I know... But you can still have it occasionally.

This post is all over the place... As usual... But I really got my dietary health back together to adjust for my age (born 1968). My teenage daughter eating a vegetarian diet was the jumpstart. I don't know what the hell happened, it just did.

Note: I am in no ways depriving myself... I am enjoying life more than I ever have.

Sugar! Sugar! SUGAR! NO! Especially high fructose as you get older. I basically eat everything else but stay within my base metabo daily rate.

Good luck... Try no alcohol, a veg diet,and no low sugar, ample exercise, and cut 300-500k out daily for 6 months and tell me what your bloodwork looks like after that. Go "nuclear" for those 6 months and then reboot, move slowly back to eating meat, but continue new lifestyle.

FYIW... I have had my bloodwork checked every 6 months for last 20 years... Liver numbers because of the cholesterol meds. It was amazing how deadly meat and sugar is!

everyone should have less salt

NO! That is a prob! Not "everyone"... Eat what you crave... Don't worry about what yoy are getting in food. Salt is a nutrient. No of course don't gobble the schit...

Read the health anf fitness thread... Many links there.

Most people cut it out, they go hypothyroid. Salt is needed, it is a nutrient! I actually add iodized salt more now!!! The

Get your thyroid hyper.

I bet many people count on their food for salt... Big mistake, probaly iodine deficiency most people have, leading to hypothyroid.

Eat what you crave... Really, see link in Health & Fitness thread.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

For some reason, the board is lugging across all platforms and networks or I would have the energy to post more.

There was a poster here that put my life in order by saying that to reset your circadian clock... Hard fast for 18-24 hours. I work swing shift... That advice is worth gold. Intermittent fasting! Really.

Cut that meat, fat, and SUGAR out for 6 months, and moderately move back to that diet... MODERATELY move back to meat, a little sugar diet...

I have tried every trick in book every 6 months for last 20 years. Again, I have watching my bloodwork every 6 months the last 20 years. Nothing works but hard work AND lifestyle change!

People are ready when they are ready... Some never can make the leap to lifestyle change which is okay. If one is happy, then be happy!

138/80 isn't high. As for the lipids, take Lipitor. If you get muscle aches, or even if you don't, take coenzyme Q 10 with it.

The new guideline is 120 or below.

THIS!

I am bigger frame and at 6'3"... 190s to 210 keep my numbers all perfect!

It's weight Hammer... Get that weight down to where JR is. Not sure if your frame is big, medium, small, adjust accordingly.

190slbs for 5'11" is too heavy at your age. I am over 6' and should be there.

Give up alcohol, meat, and do cardio for 6 months... You will melt weight and watch thosr #s turn spot less!

If you have family history or are worried about coronary artery disease (blockage) - ask your doctor about a Cardiac Scoring Exam. It's a CT scan to detect plaque buildup in coronary arteries. Could not have been simpler/easier - lie on a table for 2 mins, no IV or anything.

http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=ct_calscoring

In my case there was a place by me that does it based on referral - for a flat fee of 150. My sister also found a place by her that was the same thing - flat fee with referral. For the cost/ease it was something that was definitely worth it as another data point (and peace of mind)

Oh... You should be within 10-20 pounds of what you were when you were 18. What were you when you were 18? I was in the 190s.

When I was 18 I was around 185-190, but I was in the best shape of my life and was lifting 4-5 times per week. I was much more muscular then than I am now. I went from 205 to 190 within the past few months. I have been on my wife's diet, and she has gluten/dairy sensitivities. I eat lean meat (turkey, chicken and fish) and fresh veggies for just about every meal, but will treat myself every once in a while with a nice steak. I'm not a big fan of sweets, so I don't think sugar is the issue. I'm just going to continue with my diet, drastically decrease my alcohol intake, and start to do more cardio. I'm also going to start taking Omega vitamins and whey protein. I think I can drop down to 175 if I really work hard. Given my body type, I think that's about as low as I could go without looking like I just crawled out of a POW camp.

Cutting down the alcohol is the hardest part of this. I usually have 3-4 drinks per night. Can't do that anymore.

If you have family history or are worried about coronary artery disease (blockage) - ask your doctor about a Cardiac Scoring Exam. It's a CT scan to detect plaque buildup in coronary arteries. Could not have been simpler/easier - lie on a table for 2 mins, no IV or anything.

http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=ct_calscoring

In my case there was a place by me that does it based on referral - for a flat fee of 150. My sister also found a place by her that was the same thing - flat fee with referral. For the cost/ease it was something that was definitely worth it as another data point (and peace of mind)

That's a great tip and a great price. Sure beats cardiac catheterization. Was that price after insurance payed or was that the exact price to get the procedure done?

Reduce the sugar intake and get some damn exercise. Not saying you don't but the sedentary lives we lead are killing us. I was talking to my chiropractor and she said sitting is so bad for us. I realize "**** I even sit at the gym" (bike and weight machines) so now I used the treadmill. Met with a trainer the other day and he said I need 45-60 minutes of cardio not the 30 I've been doing. I'm not spending an hour on a treadmill. I'll walk the neighborhood hills instead.

Reduce the sugar intake and get some damn exercise. Not saying you don't but the sedentary lives we lead are killing us. I was talking to my chiropractor and she said sitting is so bad for us. I realize "**** I even sit at the gym" (bike and weight machines) so now I used the treadmill. Met with a trainer the other day and he said I need 45-60 minutes of cardio not the 30 I've been doing. I'm not spending an hour on a treadmill. I'll walk the neighborhood hills instead.

This!!!!

@ Seoul Taco in downtown Chicago and old lifestyle habit would have me reaching for a soda. Just old habit to reach for that poison... But just water is the best...

Still having the bulgogi steak burrito and kimchi rice... Why wash it down with nasty HFCS!

This!!!!

@ Seoul Taco in downtown Chicago and old lifestyle habit would have me reaching for a soda. Just old habit to reach for that poison... But just water is the best...

Still having the bulgogi steak burrito and kimchi rice... Why wash it down with nasty HFCS!

Thing is, I don't eat a lot of sugar. I don't really like cake, cookies, or candy...I'm more of a pickle and potato chip kind of guy. I don't even put sugar in my coffee.