Who is still mad we tanked the Jets game?

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cardale did eventually play, and best not to mess him up unless we are just going to hand off. EJ was arguably the best chance to win, as a vet who's played in games that count. He was not some raw guy everyone agrees needed a few years to get ready to play QB in the NFL - or maybe even college! EJ is just is not good, as he proved. Do you recall Cardale's last year at OSU? You're just angry. I'm trying to be rational.

Ej isnt the best to do anthing. The raiders just confirmed that by payining camp arm money. Stop it.

Ej isnt the best to do anthing. The raiders just confirmed that by payining camp arm money. Stop it.

Better to start EJ than ruin Cardale before he's ready. Better to keep Tyrod from further injury and saving cap space. Better to draft at 10 than 15. You might want to take your own advice. Promo found a way to drag out some unhappy ******. :)

I wouldn't be shocked to learn that the NFL had a talk with the Bills following that game. It was clear that they used Week 17 as a glorified Preseason game. That had to be frowned upon by the league office. You are supposed to field your best players unless they are clearly unable to dress and play. I actually thought it was a terrible precedent to set and as a 50 year Bills fan was embarrassed that they did it.

I wouldn't be shocked to learn that the NFL had a talk with the Bills following that game. It was clear that they used Week 17 as a glorified Preseason game. That had to be frowned upon by the league office. You are supposed to field your best players unless they are clearly unable to dress and play. I actually thought it was a terrible precedent to set and as a 50 year Bills fan was embarrassed that they did it.

So, how about when you have home field locked up in the palyoffs? It's common practice to sit anyone important. Don't pick on losers but let the top teams get away with it. Not going to happen.

So, how about when you have home field locked up in the palyoffs? It's common practice to sit anyone important. Don't pick on losers but let the top teams get away with it. Not going to happen.

Well those are two completely different scenarios altogether. The playoff bound team is resting a player for next week's game. The Bills simply trotted out an inferior line-up for financial, not competition based reasons. And...it is not a question of 'picking on' anyone. The point is that the League would want to let OBD know that they frown on these sort of roster decisions.

Yeah we sucked so bad we decided to bench half our quarterback???

Had he played it would've been an 8-8 season.

And somehow in your mind, that's a successful season?

Better to start EJ than ruin Cardale before he's ready. Better to keep Tyrod from further injury and saving cap space. Better to draft at 10 than 15. You might want to take your own advice. Promo found a way to drag out some unhappy ******. :)

You arent getting it at all because your blind love for EJ. He was terrible if your thought of reasoning is not to ruin cardale then why play him at all. You arent making any sense. Ej was terrible, is terrible, and will continue to be a terrible nfl qb. Just because Whaley propped him out there and you supported it doesnt change any of that.

Well those are two completely different scenarios altogether. The playoff bound team is resting a player for next week's game. The Bills simply trotted out an inferior line-up for financial, not competition based reasons. And...it is not a question of 'picking on' anyone. The point is that the League would want to let OBD know that they frown on these sort of roster decisions.

Ohh, I would say it was entirely for competitive reasons. That helped us compete in several ways. Fact.

You just don't like it.

And as for what the league likes, are you one of the guys afraid they would make us move? I hope not.

You arent getting it at all because your blind love for EJ. He was terrible if your thought of reasoning is not to ruin cardale then why play him at all. You arent making any sense. Ej was terrible, is terrible, and will continue to be a terrible nfl qb. Just because Whaley propped him out there and you supported it doesnt change any of that.

That just may be the most ridiculous and outrageous thing I have ever read on this (or any) board. My son attended FSU with EJ and I saw way too much of him there. I liked the man, hated the QB. Don't just guess and spew hatred and ignorant views. This is the kind of stuff that is dragging this board down lately. Try to work in slowly, and with less venom.

Not me. I just stand by my assertion that the decision that had been made pre Pittsburgh should have been stuck to. Rex should have gone, Cardale should have started the final 3 and they should have been in evaluation mode.

Cardale would have been a nuclear-level fail in those three games........he was nowhere near ready after spending all of his free time in Columbus playing video games on his couch in his OSU uniform.

I'm a fan of his talent if and when he decides he wants to put in the effort/intensity/focus necessary be a starting QB........but he's awful right now as evidenced by his performance against a Jets D that had one foot in the locker room by the time he entered the game.......and after 3 horrific games he probably doesn't get a fair look from the new coaching staff, IMO.

They'd be planning to trade up for a QB right now...........a QB that would otherwise fall to them anyway.

But Tyrod would be gone so all the fans of re-building by long term losing......otherwise known as the "Rams plan"....... would be pleased. :beer:

I think it was to find out if EJ could be a viable backup QB to re-sign here or release.

Cardale would have been a nuclear-level fail in those three games........he was nowhere near ready after spending all of his free time in Columbus playing video games on his couch in his OSU uniform.

[.....] after 3 horrific games he probably doesn't get a fair look from the new coaching staff, IMO.

That wouldn't bother me one bit. If he'd have blown his chance at a shot by not working hard enough well tough lines.

As for whether it would have meant the end of Tyrod.... would it have changed the market for him so significantly that he didn't feel staying with the Bills in 2017 on a renegotiated deal was his best possible situation? I doubt it. Might it have created so much ill will that he was desperate to get out any how any way? Possibly but I think it might actually have been easier for the Bills to go to him 3 games from the end and say "listen Tyrod we have fired Rex, a new coach is going to evaluate what we do going forward, you have been hurting all year almost with the groin, go and get it sorted we will IR you we are tanking the rest of this year." That couldn't have made him any more pissed than the shambles of week 17 that actually took place.

I remember a lot of folks fuming mad we started EJ and lost the season finale last season. (ALynn's debut and finale as head coach.) Considering we'd be drafting 15th instead of 10th if we had won that game, how do you feel about it now. especially if you were mad when it happened? Would you rather be picking 15th on principle?

We didn't tank the Jets game. We started Manuel and fired Rex. Not the same thing. Our chances of winning were lowered, but that's not tanking.

Made a ton of sense at the time to sit Tyrod with his injury combined with the contract provision that would have required signing him due to the injury guarantee of his option if the injury was worsened during game action. We also needed to know more about where EJ was at.

But in any case, I felt fine about it then, and just as fine now. My worries about winning end when we lose our playoff chances and often before if it becomes obvious we simply aren't close to competing for a Lombardi.

Edited by Thurman#1