S. Gilmore or Nate Clements in their prime?

greer at his absolute peak was as good as anyone in the league (saints super bowl run). his ability to mirror guys routes step for step with no wasted footwork was very impressive for a stretch there.

I agree, but sadly when I think of him one of the first things that come to mind is him (and the rest of that D) getting owned by Lynch's superhuman tackle-breaking run. I want to say he's the guy about whom the YouTuber who did commentary was screaming "little boy... LITTLE BOY" haha

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nate Clements ALL DAY - He was an all around CB who could return kicks and punts. I'm not sure if any of you remember how good of a tackler and how hard of a hitter Nate Clements was. He was NEVER afraid to lay the lumber and put a hit on someone-Gilmore was a good/decent CB for the Bills, but when it came to tackling someone, he didn't want to hit anyone.. I think this is a no-brainer. Actually, I KNOW this is a no-brainer, Nate Clements was 100% a better CB for the Buffalo Bills. I could name a few more CB's that played for the Bills that were a lot better than Gilmore, but since the topic was Clements or Gilmore, I will keep it between those two.

Neither. Give me Antoine Winfield. He is one player that the Bills should have kept.

I agree. Winfield was one of my favorites. I will admit, though, that I thought that they did the right thing (at the time) in letting him leave in FA. At the time they also had Clements who was younger and they knew that they could only pay big $ to one of them.

Clements over Gilmore. Nate was great; Gilmore is very good but hasn't lived up to his draft status, in my opinion.

And Nate's hit on Brady would not (or at least should not) draw a flag even today. He led with his shoulder and hit Brady in the chest. His shoulder slid up, and that's what knocked the helmet off. And Brady was a runner at that point, not defenseless.

Is my memory bad? I think I recall Antoine struggled with coverage his first couple years with the Bills but hit people like a sledgehammer.

Absolutely correct. Truly an impact player with the Vikings, just a good tackler with the Bills.

Sure about that?

xxnTTd2.gif

didnt he lay a decent hit on the bengals tight end too? I recall him having a highlight hit on a big man but not looking for it now.

And Nate's hit on Brady would not (or at least should not) draw a flag even today. He led with his shoulder and hit Brady in the chest. His shoulder slid up, and that's what knocked the helmet off. And Brady was a runner at that point, not defenseless.

it would be a tough flag to throw, but it looks like he was starting into the slide. one of those that wouldnt be SHOCKING to see thrown depending on the refs angle but was correct not to.

didnt he lay a decent hit on the bengals tight end too? I recall him having a highlight hit on a big man but not looking for it now.

Yep...

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000742686/Tyler-Eifert-somehow-hangs-on-after-huge-hit-for-21-yards

He also lit up Gronk to break up a TD his rookie season:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap2000000219168/Stephon-Gilmore-breaks-up-long-pass-to-Gronkowski

Clements...more of a playmaker and good punt returner...did get burned at times but they all do

Clements over Gilmore. Nate was great; Gilmore is very good but hasn't lived up to his draft status, in my opinion.

They would definitely call a penalty on that play today....it was Brady!

Clements...more of a playmaker and good punt returner...did get burned at times but they all do

thats the big thing -- ive echoed it for years but the idea of a shutdown corner is a bit of a myth.

gilmore was a very good cover guy, and so was clements. we have been really blessed with excellent corners this last decade and i hope we dont end up having to see what this board thinks of actually having average secondary talent. Its rough out there.

in 2007 the SF 49ers made clements the highest paid defensive player in NFL history

in 2006 he had very similar stats to gilmore (clements gave up a higher catch % but less YPC and TDs).

in 2005 he had worse stats than 2006.

as someone else mentioned, life has only gotten harder for corners out there.

im not saying its crazy to pick clements, but i think it helps put gilmore back into perspective. both had excellent stays with the bills as young corners.

It's good to see the old-timers getting some love!

Clements. But for Best Ever Bill CB, Butch Byrd.

This is actually pretty fun. We've had a lot of good corners through the years. I unfortunately don't remember Butch Byrd, but for my money, Robert James was the best of the bunch (of course, DB play was more bump than run in the early 70s!). I loved Antoine Winfield (fearless tackler), and Thomas Smith was a fantastic cover guy and sticky tackler. And of course Nate Odomes just made plays. I'd take all those guys over Gilmore, although it's so hard to compare with all the rules now hindering DBs.

I'll go with Robert James as best ever for the Bills

Byrd was great but Booker Edgerson was great too. Didn't get as much attention.

Seen them all. Byrd, James, Clements, Winfield, Edgerson my top 5. Gilmore right behind them.

BB had 40 career INT's, all as a Bill. Not likely to be surpassed.

Yeah, Sestak was a great player. Up there with the Bob Lillys and Merlin Olsens of his day for sure.

As for James, he was a "shut down corner" before anyone knew what that was. Routinely shut out every WR he went up against. From Warfield to Beletnikoff to Alworth to Maynard and any other HOF receiver in between, he simply took them out of the game. Just a great athlete all around. He would have been a first ballot HOFer if not for that knee injury.