S. Gilmore or Nate Clements in their prime?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a tough one. Nate Clements was better in Buffalo, but he did not do as well with the 49ers or Bengals. Nate was more consistent with the Bills. Gilmore has the opportunity to surpass Clements with superior coaching cheating in New England.

Fixed

Not even close imo. I would MUCH rather have Clements in his prime that Gilmore 2x.

I wasn't happy when the Bills drafted Clements in round 1 (I was hoping that they went with Steve Hutchinson) but it should be noted that the Bills drafted Clements at #21, after trading back from 14 and picking up another 2nd round pick. Of course they wasted it on Travis Henry, but this is for another debate. :)

Clements was just a better player than Gilmore in every imaginable way. What they did have in common was a fierce desire to get out of Buffalo. I remember Nate's wife even talking about it.

Edited by Bill from NYC

Neither. Give me Antoine Winfield. He is one player that the Bills should have kept.

If we're throwing out other names I have to say I was sad to see Nate Odomes head to the Seahawks. Though it may be time to let that one go!! :D

I'm not sure why there is so much fuss around Gilmore. He may be talented, but he mailed in 2-3 games per season when he got torched. He made Ryan Fitzpatrick look like Johnny Unitas this year in week 2.

Agreed. That one play last year against the Dolphins summed it all up.

I like this thread....I'd take Antoine Winfield......I feel that he had better cover skills than both.....He wasn't going to get the picks that the other two would get but he was better lock down defender.....Heck, I might even take an in his prime Thomas Smith over Gilmore and Clements..........I'd take Clements over Gilmore....Gilmore had more bad games.

I always thought Smith was underrated. He had the worst hands so his interceptions stats were always awful, but I think as far as pure coverage goes, he's as good as anyone we've had over the past 25 years.

I was a big fan of each guy, but for me, it's Gilmore

Clements definitely had better ball skills, but Gilmore was a stickier coverage guy.

I also didn't like that Clements would dance after allowing a 15-yard completion for a 1st down.

Ready for me to really ruffle some feathers?

I'd take Jabari Greer over any of them.

Clements. But for Best Ever Bill CB, Butch Byrd.

This is actually pretty fun. We've had a lot of good corners through the years. I unfortunately don't remember Butch Byrd, but for my money, Robert James was the best of the bunch (of course, DB play was more bump than run in the early 70s!). I loved Antoine Winfield (fearless tackler), and Thomas Smith was a fantastic cover guy and sticky tackler. And of course Nate Odomes just made plays. I'd take all those guys over Gilmore, although it's so hard to compare with all the rules now hindering DBs.