You are my sunshine, my only sunshine Jerry

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said when Rex was fired, that unless he was the voice of the Rex hire, he should have a chance to hire a coach like most GMs do.

However, I dont think that McDermott was his hire either. We cant be sure of that since only a small handful of people know for sure what was said and who wanted who, but most people say it was the Pegulas who wanted him.

So my questions are, whats the point of having a GM who you obviously dont trust for the big decisions? Is this front office disfunction or a GM who sucks? And if its the latter, then why is he still here with a 4yr extension?

Wrong.

Especially since I disagree with you, and my opinions ARE universal truths. :beer:

I view him as lacking in discipline. I'm not confident with him heading into a draft given his propensity toward trading away picks.

Buffalo has not been such a popular destination for NFL players since the super bowl years. The draft is the best way for the Bills to build a winning team and Whaley has done a lousy job imo.

But be honest...you ever meet anybody from NYC who didn't think their opinions were a universal truth?

Nah it's the center of the world! We're lucky we have NYC to produce guys like Trump. :doh:

IMHO it is stupid and lazy to blame the Bills not making the playoffs in 17 years on Whaley. It is not unreasonable to envision a scenario last season where with COMPETENT coaching we make the playoffs. That tells me the talent big picture wise under DW has improved. I just want coaching that doesn't beat itself.

Edited by horned dogs

The article is not balanced. Sullivan only notes the negatives, but they are significant and clearly stated. While I agree that Whaley's time is close to being up as GM of the Bills, I am not sure I understand why that decision was not made at the end of last season. Hiring a new GM that would be beholden to McDermott does not seem like the answer, and conducting a search for a new GM with no history with McDermott likely means problems in the future. I certainly am not comfortable giving McDermott, a first time head coach, broad powers (i.e., GM type responsibilities) in terms of roster, draft and free agents. I would think he needs to focus on coaching the team to a better record.

Pathetic article. Once again, Sullivan's whole rant is based on assumptions/speculations about the Bills front office, instead of known facts.

He states in the second paragraph that Whaley is "not allowed to speak for the organization anymore" and that he is being excluded from the draft luncheon. The entire article is based on this ASSUMPTION by Sullivan, along with the baseless story by LaCanfora earlier this week about McDermott and Whaley not getting along (which was backed by no facts and no real sources).

The Pegulas made it VERY CLEAR that they only want ONE PERSON speaking for the organization going forward. They said this before even hiring McDermott. And after McDermott was hired, he confirmed that he would be THE PUBLIC VOICE of the organization going forward. What the Bills did with previous regimes is completely irrelevant. Change does not necessarily indicate a problem.

As I've stated before. My opinion is in the "middle" on Doug Whaley. I'm neither impressed or calling for the guy to get fired.

But articles like this are just pathetic.

I view him as lacking in discipline. I'm not confident with him heading into a draft given his propensity toward trading away picks.

Buffalo has not been such a popular destination for NFL players since the super bowl years. The draft is the best way for the Bills to build a winning team and Whaley has done a lousy job imo.

I'd have thought you'd be happy he doesn't draft Ohio State DBs with his first-round picks.

I don't know that he lacks discipline. I would suggest that he's hampered by what you pointed out - Buffalo's not a FA destination, causing him to overpay unnecessarily for players (e.g. Clay). I also think he's in a difficult situation in Buffalo with a franchise that's had no stability with the management team, resulting in some interference with (really, you think Darby was his pick, and not Ryan wanting another "Revis Island" shutdown corner) and a lack of support in his job (he seems poorly equipped to handle the contracts side of the team, which may be compounded by having some of Ralph's business people still looking over his shoulder.)

I don't know that he can be disciplined in that environment.

Note that I don't particularly care for him, either. Not that I dislike him...I'm just kind-of "meh" about the whole thing. I don't know what the solution to this team's problems is, but I'm pretty sure the problem isn't a single-point-of-failure like "It's the QB!" or "It's the GM!" that can be addressed easily. So...sure, get rid of him. It won't make a difference either way.

31 teams do not win the super bowl every year. Every city lucky enough to have an NFL team spends the off season speculating on what was and could be. I have lived in four NFL markets. No other media I have experienced hates their team as much as the Buffalo media.

This is egregious piling on. McDermott being a better public speaker that DW does not mean Whaley is incompetent. I think Whaley handled TT's contract masterfully. I can't think of one NFL team where the GM acts as spokesperson. This is pure vindictiveness for Sully's loss of access at OBD.

The draft isn't the best way to build a winning team - it's to solve the riddle of finding a QB. He didn't do that in his 4 years as GM.

He did build a great 4-3 defense and stocked the team decently with skilled offensive players. Rex obviously switched defenses and he tried his best to re-tool the defense for his wants/needs. It was a colossal failure and I put more of that on Rex than Whaley. Now we're switching back and that can't all be blamed on Whaley.

The '14, '15 and '16 drafts have not been bad. I get that you don't like the trades but talent is on this team.

I moved, and probably couldn't do much worse at drafting then Whaley

Then prove it to us then. Find a way to convince the Pegulas that you should be the one to make the picks on the first 2 nights of the Draft to show that you are, without question, better than Whaley at being a GM.

Wow another hateful rant by Jerry, I wonder if he can even order a cup of coffee without bitching about how hot it is. I sometimes wonder if the Pegulas sit around and shake their heads sometimes regarding the media in Buffalo. The most negative market in the country bar none. Hopefully Monday we can get more "drought trivia" from the geniuses at WGR. Simply awful and embarrassing to see how negative the whole market is

Yeah, it's hard to imagine how anyone could think Whaley should be fired.

http://publicrecords.onlinesearches.com/view/lid/77975

After all, the team's been so successful under his stewardship.

[This is an automated response.]

1icr79.jpg

Created by DC Tom-bot, beta version 0.8.

Tom, if not having won world championships means you can't complain, I'll expect not to hear any more sourness from you or anyone else around here.

If you can't complain as a fan of a team that's gone this many years without hitting the playoffs, with a GM with this level of success, you should pretty much never complain. And I say that as a person who has enjoyed your posts for years.

Whaley deserves everything he gets and more.

Why do you read that idiot? He writes that crap to cheese you off and to get clicks. It keeps the dolt employed. Juat say no and don't read it.

Clicks mean absolutely nothing to Sully. Plenty of sites out there it means a lot, but for the News, absolutely nothing.

They use a subscription system. Their money comes from people subscribing to receive their stories. The News actually limits the number of stories you can read without subscribing. They clearly would't do this if they gave a crap about clicks.

Pretty much all newspapers these days have switched to this system. The "it's only for clicks" argument simply is no longer relevant for most newspapers and certainly the Buffalo News. They make money when people like their writers enough to sign up for digital and newsprint subscriptions. Sully is still here because he's good at his job. Not that that means you have to like him, but he's good.

Edited by Thurman#1

The draft isn't the best way to build a winning team - it's to solve the riddle of finding a QB. He didn't do that in his 4 years as GM.

He missed several opportunities to draft a quarterback. It isn't so often that you can get a good one by trade or free agency. He peddled away picks instead of stockpiling them. Don't you wish we had more coming into this draft? Also, Whaley was lucky that a few of his dumb moves failed, such as trying to re-sign Spiller and Byrd.

He made a great trade when he got Hughes and had some good signings so he isn't 100% bad imo. I want a GM who can resist dumb trades, draft sensibly, and get this team into the playoffs.