Favorite Underrated Musicians

Another Fan

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great call. Knopfler is easily, in my opinion, one of the greatest guitarists ever.

As great a guitarist as he is (my personal favorite), his greatest attribute is as a songwriter. He always shows up (too low) on lists of the greatest guitarists but almost never on lists of greatest songwriters.

Growing up I liked all the classic rock bands like Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Genesis (mostly the Gabriel stuff), Yes, etc. Dire Straits was definitely on the list. As I got older I still liked all those bands and I still do. The difference with Dire Straits was that I was always finding cool new things that I had missed in songs over the years. I knew all the songs by those bands but the Straits stuff always seemed fresh. The only exceptions were in their super popular stage with songs like Money for Nothing, which I like but is just a fun song. A lot of their songs (Telegraph Road, Lions, Tunnel of Love and even Sultans) have just a lot of stuff going on that is easy to pass over at first.

Where Knopfler got underrated was that he was thought of as a guitar hero but his songs has some of the greatest lyrics and were written in original ways. Romeo and Juliet has a line "You can fall for chains of silver, you can fall for chains of gold, you can fall for pretty strangers and the promises they hold". It's a perfect phrasing for a rejected lover to throw at the his ex. One of my personal favorites is from Telegraph Road. "Cos I've run every red light on memory lane".

While in Dire Straits he created the soundtracks to Cal, The Princess Bride and Local Hero, all among the greatest ever.

Post Dire Straits he has created songs from about every genre (pop, rock, blues, country, bluegrass, folk, Celtic) and far surpassed his Dire Straits work in my opinion. Barely anyone knows this it seems. Unlike many songwriters, his songs are not commonly about himself. They are usually about ordinary people and usually paint them from a perspective of respect and dignity. They are incredibly relatable. Even when he writes about someone famous like Sonny Liston or Ray Kroc he makes them very real, not some larger than life figure. So many lines of his lyrics are pure genius. I'm sure most songwriters would be happy to have written one of them. He has hundreds.

His guitar is still there. I saw him 18 months ago in concert (see clip below) and his guitar is still very much there (as you'll see at the end of the clip).

The list of his collaborations and people who have covered his songs is unbelievably long and varied. Tina Turner, Chet Atkins, Bob Dylan, The Killers, The Judds, Kenny Rogers, Metallica, Emmylou Harris, The Indigo Girls, Randy Travis, The Everly Brothers, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Shooter Jennings, Eric Clapton, and I'm sure I've left off a ton.

I'd say he is underrated.

Edited by OGTEleven

Gug--I have now been to 4 Dead and Company shows and I have to agree...

Very under the radar....Todd Sheaffer from Railroad Earth -- diverse -- rocker to blue grass to folk to country...mastered them all..

I really liked Further much better. John Kadlecik (imo of course) is as close as it gets to Jerry.

The John Kadlecik Band is also very good. I have seen these two bands in 6 states.

Underrated bands: The Guess Who and Traffic

Traffic was great!

I have tickets to see Winwood on 4/28. I'm not sure what to expect.

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism.

Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority.

'In Too Deep' is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock.

Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works better within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist.

You're dead to me.

How about Rodrigo y Gabriella....no one plays the guitar like Gabriella....it has to be seen to be appreciated.

They're not underrated. They're unheard of. I heard of them a few years ago. Great stuff.

Edited by Chef Jim

I really liked Further much better. John Kadlecik (imo of course) is as close as it gets to Jerry.

The John Kadlecik Band is also very good. I have seen these two bands in 6 states.

Traffic was great!

I have tickets to see Winwood on 4/28. I'm not sure what to expect.

You'd have to think he'd throw at least a few Traffic tunes in there. Please write a review in its own thread!!