Tom Brady-The Greatest of His Era, Not All-Time

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

No way im hell is brady the goat. Look up Otto Graham. Marcia would have had a 3rd the career had he played in a different era

if your going that route. Todays AFC championship game would be the same as the nfl championship game. Otto went to 10. Brady has been to 11.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom will always have the * associated with him. I read something about a new "scandal" on ESPN wrt supplements which can now only be found in reporting of a fake story

http://deadspin.com/no-those-fake-espn-stories-about-tom-brady-and-j-j-wa-1754149481

To be honest I think he's been juicing

...the 90's??....the real deal was back in the 60's......LONG before QB's were treated like Victoria Secrets' untouchables.......

:thumbsup:

Brady is the best QB of all time and Belicheck is the best coach of all time.

Get over it.

Bills got lucky in the 90s and couldn't do anything with it. Patriots got lucky and created a dynasty that actually wins Super Bowls.

Anyone disagreeing is jealous.

Hard to argue your point!

Am I the only one who remembers that a QB used to call his own plays? The idea that the QB in the modern era has to wait until he gets the play called in on his helmet radio takes an important aspect of the game away from his responsibility. Players like Jack Kemp, John Unitas, etc. used to have to be a "coach on the field" to make things work. Brady is a smart guy and a film study geek so he could probably do it, but he doesn't.

:thumbsup:

I already put Brady as the # 1 after the SB win against Seattle...Butler made the winning play, but Brady came back from 10 pts vs a great D that game....this year was just pilling on....

Knowing he's the GOAT also helps me cope with the fact that they beat us like we're the Washington Generals.....once he's gone, things can only improve....

I've heard the argument that the best players in this era would be just as good if they played in another era. Could be, we'll never know. Maybe there would've been another guy back then that would've made his mark if it wasn't "old school football". Or maybe Tebow would've been a monster in a bygone era.

The broken record (me) says that comparing players from different eras is pointless.

I concur with the last sentence. Comparing is pointless as is attempting to diminish or embellish reality. As always

If Tom Brady were drafted in 1984, in a different era, where QB's weren't coddled, there is no way in hell that Brady would be in the shape, 16-17 years into his career that he is today. His body would have broken down at least some and he wouldn't be the player he is right now.

Joe Montana was 4-0 in Super Bowls and won 4 in 9 years. If he wasn't injured in the 1990 NFC Championship game against the 49ers, he probably would have been 5-0 with 5 in 10 years.

I know people were in a hurry to anoint Brady after the last Super Bowl, but if you take a step back and really look at the thing, there are QB's who have been just as impressive if not more with respect to their era. What would Dan Marino's career have looked like if he was drafted into the NFL in the year 2000?

Tom Brady is definitely one of the greatest QB's of all-time and the best of his era, but as far as I am concerned what Montana did in the era he played in was more impressive.

He would have had a team that stayed together a lot longer. And look at the success Montana had in an offense that defenses hadn't been built to stop

I'm not even sure Brady is the best QB of this era. Peyton Manning tailed off his last couple years, but there was a long period when both Brady and Manning were playing, and it was neck and neck who was better, and I think overall that Peyton did more with somewhat weaker teams although with better receivers. You can't compare the Brady of this year with the Peyton of last year. Think back 5-7 years when they were both at the top of their games. Also Manning had that neck problem that cost him a year, and somehow came back still shooting cannonballs down the field.

Era to era is tough. Someone else posted that if there was a minute to go and you needed a TD to win, they'd take Brady 10 times out of 10 over Montana. I respectfully disagree. I'd take Montana 7 times out of 10, Brady 2 out of 10, and Favre the other one.

The guys on the lists who are Football Players -- tough men who love contact and the demanding physical challenges of the game -- are people like Kelly, Favre, Roethlisberger. Marino was my vote for GOAT when he played but like Brady he was not a smash mouth kind of player. I really admire and respect the guys who put their bodies on the line, more than the ones who think a game when their uniform doesn't get grass stains is a good game.

Ultimately I think it's just too hard to compare Montana/Brady. Totally different eras, you can make a reasonable case for either one of them.

I never get ceased to be amazed how Brady was just a forgotten 6th round pick though. If he didn't play under Belichick's regime would he have had this success? I mean back in the day the Browns fans all hated Belichick for cutting Kosar since his skills didn't fit his coaching.

Free agency, revolving roster, salary cap league designed to prevent dominance, continues to win. Continues to dominate. Greatest ever. Not even close. Athletes and sports continue to evolve over time. Players 30 yrs from now will be better than the ones today just like players today are better than those from 30yrs ago. Its a fact. Move on. Accept fate.

Edited by bobobonators

I think there's a lot of validity to this. It's hard to argue against Brady's football IQ, arm talent, accuracy, and the wins/championships. But I don't think he executes the same way under pressure, and I don't think he would have been nearly as successful facing the hits the used to be allowed on QBs. He gets rattled when he really takes a big hit.

Sorry I disagree OP, with the game on the line there is no QB I'd rather have leading me down the field than Tom Brady... None! I've been watching football from about 1984 on and I've seen many era's and I feel Brady would have dominated in them all, just my opinion. He's plenty tough, sure they don't allow the QB to get his head ripped off but he takes shots all the time.

It is hard to compare the different generations but I agree that rule changes have made it possible for QB's to 1) almost never lose time to injury and 2) Play into their low 40's. QB's can stand in the pocket and throw the ball knowing defenders will go out of their way to NOT hit them after the release. Bruce used to take 2 steps and crush Marino play after play. Those hits took a physiological toll that only happens today if you are getting to the QB before the release.

A couple facts about Peyton: He faced Brady 3 times in the AFC championship game and won all three. Also, he went to 4 super bowls with 4 different coaches who were coaching in their only super bowl of their careers. Compare that to Brady who is with arguable the greatest head coach of all time.

Having said all that, I think it is sitll reasonable to argue Brady is the best ever, but it is not indisputable by any means.

Who are the players from the 1982 and 1984 Super Bowl that you are referring to?

And Roger Craig, Dwight Clark, Lott, Dwight Hicks

The beatings QB's took in past eras were more brutal than what Brady and current QB's have had to deal with, and it's not even close.

You keep repeating this, yet it doesn't become any more true with repetition. What was it about with Montana's O-line that he took so many ferocious hits? He's a small guy. The Defenders weren't as fast or powerful/big as they are now. Link us to all these big hit numbers.

Brady took 17 hits in one game of the 2015 playoffs. Ryan took 25 in 3 games this post season. Brady took 19. Why were those hits less "brutal" then the ones Montana took. Be specific this time.

Edited by Mr. WEO

It's debatable for sure. But this board isn't going to have a fair discussion about Tom because we all hate him

And Roger Craig, Dwight Clark, Lott, Dwight Hicks

You keep repeating this, yet it doesn't become any more true with repetition. What was it about with Montana's O-line that he took so many ferocious hits? He's a small guy. The Defenders weren't as fast or powerful/big as they are now. Link us to all these big hit numbers.

Brady took 17 hits in one game of the 2015 playoffs. Ryan took 25 in 3 games this post season. Brady took 19. Why were those hits less "brutal" then the ones Montana took. Be specific this time.

If you are now stating that there are not rules in place dictating how and where you can hit a QB you are more delusional than usual.

The beatings QB's took in past eras were more brutal than what Brady and current QB's have had to deal with, and it's not even close.

Only in the sense that some hits are now against the rules. But defenders today are bigger, stronger and faster. They hit harder than the defenders of yesteryear.

Only in the sense that some hits are now against the rules. But defenders today are bigger, stronger and faster. They hit harder than the defenders of yesteryear.

The amount of big hits QBs take today is way less than in the past. No matter how much faster, stronger and bigger defenders are now, they cant and dont take the shots on QBs that used to be allowed. The great QB's are making it to 40+ years and still playing at a high level, that never used to happen cause they would be disabled.

Edited by mattynh

The amount of big hits QBs take today is way less than in the past. No matter how much faster, stronger and bigger defenders are now, they cant and dont take the shots on QBs that used to be allowed. The great QB's are making it to 40+ years and still playing at a high level, that never used to happen cause they would be disabled.

But athletes take much better care of themselves now than they did years ago...these guys now have nutritionist etc...back in the 70's guys were probably smoking cigarettes and having beers in the locker room....today, they treat their bodies as their main investment...it's completely different...